Editing programs

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using Media Maker (Win 7) up until now. I have quickly found out that Win 7 is a pain, Microsoft are sending me 3 or 4 updates and whtever it is the computer does to check for problems, every day... clogging it up on purpose. I have had to go and get another computer, this one is on Win 10, but running so it looks like Win 7 to save me having to lean where everything is again.

Now I have a more up to date computer, what video editing program would be a good one to get? I have heard of Da Vinci Resolve, but some people say it takes a huge amount of power to run it and I don't know if my computer is powerful enough (or how to find out). I could get Lightroom, does that do video? Another one has been suggested called Affinity Photo, but I don't know if it will do video as well. Do you need a seperate video program to that used for photos? Or is there something that does both?

Video programs:
Media Maker (1080 only though, I have found out).
Shotcut is another free one I have heard of.
Da Vinci Resolve.

I won't be doing enough or at a high enough level (my skills with computer stuff are very basic) to warrant buying something fancy.

Suggestions please?

As a free one da vinci resolve is unbeatable but the free version has some limitations which won't trouble you at first.
It's a steep learning curve but there's a great deal of help online especially youtube.
It won't tax your computer if you are editing 1080p which makes sense at first anyway.
Shotcut will soon annoy you to death, it works and it's free.

At least try da vinci, you can do quite basic editing with it.
The basics are you import footage, create a timeline, then export it at resolution suitable for your purpose e.g. youtube.
You don't even need do much more than cut sections out to make videos shorter initially.

Both Lightroom and photoshop have very limited video ability.
You can create timelapses and create a grading style LUT to apply in other programs.
Not much else useful really.

I use Serif MoviePlus 6 which I bought years ago, it is no longer supported, but available as a download https://serif-movieplus-x6.software.informer.com/download/ and
once you’ve reinstalled the programs, launch one of them and use the Universal Registration Key that has now been published. It is a very powerful bit of software that is also pretty easy to use, I've rarely consulted the manual, which you can also download. An example video edited with it.
View: https://youtu.be/eIzxULLcEiU

Registration Key 881887

Davinchi resolve Is used by Hollywood studios. If it’s good enough for them, then it’s good enough for some drone footage.
I’ve switched to it from FCPX and it’s much more powerful. It’s a learning curve, but all software is.
The fact it’s free is even better. The paid version adds very little to a single person hobbyist

Davinchi resolve Is used by Hollywood studios. If it’s good enough for them, then it’s good enough for some drone footage.
I’ve switched to it from FCPX and it’s much more powerful. It’s a learning curve, but all software is.
The fact it’s free is even better. The paid version adds very little to a single person hobbyist

That seems conclusive then. I shall get a Resolve installed for doing the video.

The RAW pictures are the main thing for me though. It would be great if I could process them through the Nikon NX2, but I doubt it will work with them.

Premiere pro is part of the adobe family, and if you subscribe might be included in your package. Very powerful and steep learning curve like Da Vinci Resolve.

I use Cyberlink PowerDirector for video. It’s paid for, but nothing like as much as Adobe-ware. It is extremely capable with more features than I would have thought possible. It’s not as ”integrated” as I’d like (for example, you jump out to a separate application to edit audio), but once you get to know it, it’s very powerful.

Last edited:
You don't get into a car and expect to be able to drive straight away, same with that editing suit I posted. You learn via tutorials freely available from Adobe etc

Don't bother with Adobe Premiere, its way too expensive when you can get Davinci resolve for free and it does just as much, and some stuff better.

Don't bother with Adobe Premiere, its way too expensive when you can get Davinci resolve for free and it does just as much, and some stuff better.
My copy of Premier Elements 15 was free, I can't remember if it came with a Canon 6D or an Epson film scanner I bought. Either way it's been fine for what I wanted and I've only just scratched the surface of what it can do (a bit like Photoshop and Lightroom). As Bazza says, there are plenty of 'how to' vids on YouTube if you get stuck on something. I don't use it often enough to get good at it though, as per Photoshop and Lightroom!

Back