Editing software options

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have a Sony A7, I have been using the Capture One Pro trial but I don't think I will purchase the full version; prefer LR format. I think LR6 is more suited to me and I really want a HDR and Panorama stitch function.

However, been having a look today and there are roomers here and there about a possible impending release of LR7 (Apparently LR6 is on 6.8 on CC).

Currently have LR4 so wondering whether to pay the £65 upgrade now or hold out to see if LR7 comes out any time soon, which is basically impossible to tell.

Any thoughts on this?

I'd suggest getting £65 upgrade.
Isn't there rumours also suggesting there won't be any more perpetual licences sold for this version or next? If that's the case better buy the standalone version while you still have the option to do so.

Versions of software and hardware will always play leapfrog long into the future, as far as compatibility goes. If your hardware gets ahead of your software (if your camera raws are too new to be recognised by your independent processor, such as LR et al), then there's the dng route to maintain equilibruim. But if it's certain features that you want (as you mentioned), then that's always up to you.

But now let's say that you use LR, and have processed 10,000 raws and have allowed a catalogue to build. What happens to those adjustments, never mind the catalogue, if you then want to migrate to another brand of processor? I'm only asking.

Versions of software and hardware will always play leapfrog long into the future, as far as compatibility goes. If your hardware gets ahead of your software (if your camera raws are too new to be recognised by your independent processor, such as LR et al), then there's the dng route to maintain equilibruim. But if it's certain features that you want (as you mentioned), then that's always up to you.

But now let's say that you use LR, and have processed 10,000 raws and have allowed a catalogue to build. What happens to those adjustments, never mind the catalogue, if you then want to migrate to another brand of processor? I'm only asking.

I'm not sure what you mean there. I use lightroom 6 ( and 5 previously and 4 I think ) on about 6 or 7 different computers of different power and ages and had about 20 cameras from 2007 to 2016 and switch hard drives between different machines with different hardware and there were no issues of any kind at all. They even had different operating systems.

To the question of the existing edits, you can always save down changes into XMP sidecar files, and most software will pick up the edits (not 100% though) - but a good start, or bake them in and export as TIFF.

Or pay £10 per month and always have the latest version
Or watch for one of the deals on Amazon and pay £6.58 per month :)

I'm not sure what you mean there. I use lightroom 6 ( and 5 previously and 4 I think ) on about 6 or 7 different computers of different power and ages and had about 20 cameras from 2007 to 2016 and switch hard drives between different machines with different hardware and there were no issues of any kind at all. They even had different operating systems.

Just to confirm - I've been using LR since version 1 on a variety of hardware and OS (both Windows and Mac), and I too have never skipped a beat in terms of catalogue compatibility.

Having been a long time user, I was quite surprised recently to see what I actually get for my cash now on CC - stuff I didn't realise as I've only viewed the subscription model as another way to 'buy' the standalone version.

LR Mobile is now pretty powerful, and you can sync 10,000's of photo's between it and your desktop with no limits on sync storage (I have 12K plus images synced at present).

Syncing brings another benefit - you can access your entire synced catalog via the web if you want, and what's more you can edit them there too (excuse the pic)!

Desktop:

Desktop.jpg

WEB (lightroom.adobe.com)

Web.jpg

Tablet:

iPad.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone that owns the LR6 Perpetual license - does this definitely come with the HDR and Panorama features or were they released in a later version??

Thanks
Sure does, I posted an example of a 6 shot stitch in the big A7 thread recently

Back