Editing software

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I've used Windows Movie Maker for a couple and the Editor that comes with Canon, but am looking for something a little more capable but not massively expensive. Serif's Movie Plus X5 looks promising.

I like serif software.
You can get a free version of serif movie plus from here.

If you look on amazon i'm sure you could get an older version of movie plus for next to nothing.

Sony's Vegas was the other one that I was looking at, anyone with real world experience of using this or Serif's product, their free one looks like it's a cut down version.

I've been using this for a few weeks and quite pleased so far, comes with a bundle of other related software and priced very reasonably.

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Ed...WordsContent&gclid=COTVy-CEgqsCFQcNtAodzyOSzg

Not all the bells and whistles of some out there but easy to use and plenty of on-line tutorials to get you going.

VirtualDub is a free video editor but is only for avi files as I recall but worth a look.

Last edited:
i will be looking to edit video when i buy a new pc soon (mac, hopefully) has anyone tried the adobe video editing software or say the mac final cut pro?

Received an offer from Serif, so I now have MoviePlus X5, first impressions are favourable, but time will tell I guess as I get more into this videoing thing.

i will be looking to edit video when i buy a new pc soon (mac, hopefully) has anyone tried the adobe video editing software or say the mac final cut pro?

Lots of people. Premiere Pro and After Effects are very popular, as is Final Cut in all its incarnations. I've heard of a lot of people switching to CS5 from Final Cut lately.

Not cheap though. Personally I got CS5 Master Collection when I was a student. For the small amount of video I've done to date, Premiere seems very straight forward to use (lot's of familiarity with the rest of Adobe suite, such as PS) and certainly capable of doing more with a video than I'd want to. Soundbooth is a handy thing to have as well. (y)

Lots of people. Premiere Pro and After Effects are very popular, as is Final Cut in all its incarnations. I've heard of a lot of people switching to CS5 from Final Cut lately.

Not cheap though. Personally I got CS5 Master Collection when I was a student. For the small amount of video I've done to date, Premiere seems very straight forward to use (lot's of familiarity with the rest of Adobe suite, such as PS) and certainly capable of doing more with a video than I'd want to. Soundbooth is a handy thing to have as well. (y)

i have cs5 does it edit video?

Hi Ken,

I use Edius Neo. It's the cut-down version, so isn't too expensive. Works really well. Doesn't crash (but I do have a fast PC). They have a new version (Neo 3) out, so might be worth a free trial?

Best wishes,
Dayve

Lightworks

In the meantime, we invite you to get familiar with Lightworks, an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editor with over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industry. Having cut hundreds of films such as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Centurion and Shutter Island, it includes a full feature set of editorial tools -- from advanced trimming and media management, to stereoscopic support and realtime effects including multiple secondary colour correctors. Lightworks has an advanced effects pipeline, utilizing the power of your GPU. And with support for up to 2K workflows with realtime effects, it is the most advanced editing application available.

It's free too. You can't get better value than that.

Sony Vegas is the daddy or Nuendo from stainberg but ur talking over a thousand £ for Nuendo so I would go for Sony Vegas.

Not going to brag, but I use Final Cut Pro X on my mac at the moment.

If you're filming with a DSLR, all you have to do is import it and it begins to transcode the footage in the background for you. Then as soon as you put it in the time line, it starts to background render. It's SO easy and fast its incredible.

If I wasn't using that, I would probably go for Sony's platform or something.

Hi Ken
Great film I enjoyed it.
I have just got a 7D and I want to have a go at this sort of thing.
Could you tell me what lens/s you were using please.
Also how do you rate the mike you were using.

Thanks
Martin

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Ken

Is that the mono or stereo mike

How are you getting on with Serif's Movie Plus X5, still think it was the right buy over Sony's Vegas?

Martin

If you're filming with a DSLR, all you have to do is import it and it begins to transcode the footage in the background for you. Then as soon as you put it in the time line, it starts to background render. It's SO easy and fast its incredible.

I use Vegas, it can natively edit video files from Canon DSLR's, so you don't have to do any transcoding.

Just started using Final Cut Pro X - is taking a bit of getting used to but that's the case with any software. I'm liking the similarity to Garageband but it seems powerful enough out-of-the-box with regard to transitions, effects and audio. Not tried it yet with editing DSLR footage, but it seems easy to import, far easier than out tape cameras that have to be uploaded in real-time.

Back