Edzell Bridge Over North Esk

2qkkr29.jpg

Edzell The North Esk

2zgcbdd.jpg

Edzell River

3534he0.jpg

Edzell River North Esk In Scotland

Stevan

i read somewhere that on photographing centre lines along bridges or walkways - it should be 'exactly' central
iconic view is Taj Mahal

so, within the confines of my PP experience,
I have rotated the perspective, straightend, cropped and sharpened to try to explain my thoughts
all you 'needed' to do was move left to the centreline....:)

#2- you should clone out the cables
#3 -- #4 dont 'grab' me - there is no central defining point of interest

try getting down and closer on rivers

Looks like a nice day out :D

Personally I'd try to protect the highlights if at all possible to try and stop them blowing. This could mean dialling in some exposure compensation, pulling the highlights back in raw post capture and / or boosting the shadows post capture and if the scene was very high dynamic range and I thought that protecting the highlights and boosting the shadows may cause a little too much noise I'd shoot more than one shot at different exposure settings and pick the best :D Of course sometime you just have to accept that you can't protect the highlights.

Hi Stevan

Well done on posting some images up for comment.

The biggest difficult I'm guessing you will have faced in getting these shots will have been the high, hard overhead sun. You've done well in #1 to get it positioned behind you, which means it isn't in shot (which would have led to a whole load more complications and difficulties). Obviously the bridge then has shadows falling on it - you can either make these a feature or try to move so they aren't disturbing the scene (the latter is difficult, given the fact you want the bridge to be the focal point of the shot). You also have your shadow in the shot - again, you could choose to make this a feature or crop it ouy.

For me, shooting outside is about managing the sunlight. You can't get rid of it, except by waiting for night time... or choosing a location which has the cover of shade. Cloud cover helps soften the light, which will blur those hard shadows into perhaps kinder soft shadows - unless you're wanting to make a feature of the shadows themselves.

The other thing to think about is your point of view and position when taking the photo. I always try to remember to take a photo from where I think I want to be, then try stepping left, right, forward, backwards and then crouching down and also trying to get higher. I don't do all of them all of the time, but I want to see if a small movement in a particular direction improves the shot.

As John has said, getting down lower on the rivers - and bridge perhaps - could have helped give the shots more "oomph". Finally, leading lines (as you have on the bridge) can be powerful tools in making a shot work - with the rivers you have layers going across the image, which can definitely work for some shots, but had you taken a shot of the river flowing away from / towards you, rather than across, you'd have ended up with a very different image, which may have worked better or worse. Worth trying different ideas when you're there.

HTH.

I think everyone's said it all already. One thing I'd advise is get down on the ground. Look for different angles etc and you'll instantly see better photos. Taking pictures from eye level is generally what everyone sees and has less impact. :) well done though on what you have. Just keep working the grind and thinking of different ways to portray what your eyes see.

2 and 3 have bits and pieces in them which could be cloned out...
4 is the best with maybe some tilt adjustment...and some pp??
personally i dont like wow shots with middle subject so i cant comment on 1
cheers
geof

Back