Review EF 28-105mm f/3.5 - f/4.5 II USM Review

Name
Bartosz Wozniak
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just received the EF 28-105mm f/3.5 - f/4.5 II USM. I bought it very cheaply off ebay a couple of days ago. I obviously haven't really had much time to test it properly yet, but I will do and then possibly add to this and maybe add some sample images too.

My first impressions of the lens were that it is very well built, yet quite small and compact. This was ideal for me, since I was looking for a walk-around lens which would stay on my 40D for most of the time. I had a go with the zooming and the manual focusing (yes, it does have full manual override) and it felt great. The Ultrasonic motor was lighting fast and very quiet. The focus ring does not even move when focussing, but I noticed that it is quite hard to turn when in MF. It is very weighted and quite stiff, which makes it a little bit annoying, but it's nothing major and I am sure that it will come looser with time. The lens seemed quite bright and covers a good range, even on a crop body. From the photos that I took, it seems relatively sharp at both the wide and telephoto end and not too bad wide open.

Short Summary
Advantages
  • Very cheap
  • Well, solid built
  • Fast and very quite autofocus
  • Decent Sharpness and good overall quality
Disadvantages
  • The MF ring is a tiny bit stiff
  • The lens is not 100% sharp wide open (not really a problem for the price though)
No other problems so far! :)

Quite frankly - very happy with my purchase and I would recommend this lens for anyone!

Back