EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.Will it work on an EOS 5D?

Name
paul robertson
Edit My Images
No
As ever im confused.
I have a 20D which came with a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.
Can i use this on a EOS5D and expect to have a 17mm superwide lens? What im trying to say (badly) is- will this lens that is designed for a smaller sensor work ok on a full frame sensor?
Also, if I was to buy a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM would this work on the D20? It looks like it would give me a focal length of around 100 to 320, but will it give optium results?
:bang: :bonk:

Nope sorry, you cant use EF-S lenses on the 5D, its a bit of a shame for people upgrading to full frame after using the 17-55 IS as its such a good lens.

As said by CS. No.

why cant canon be clearer on this?
I looked on their website and it says nothing about which lens goes with what model, Im not even sure which lens i could buy for a 5D now.
I take it its EF only lens for a 5D then?
And EF-S lens for smaller sensor models?

They are pretty clear at least I never had any confusion.

The EF-S is for 1.6x crop sensors. 300D, 350D, 400D, (10D ?) 20D, 40D
it stands for "short back" mount.

Full frame bodies 5D , 1D only take EF lenses

You can use all EF lenses from Canon on the 5D just not the EF-S Range and All Canon fit lenses from Sigma except the 'DC' Range that are for crop sensors.

Hope that clears it up a bit :)

Better to be grumpy and have awnsers than confused and dim....

.. or confused and out of pocket :eek:

always best to ask.
There's no such thing as a dumb question

I see Mr Old Gitt your using a 70-200 2.8 lens with your D20, are you getting a focal length of 320 with this ? or am i being so dim its dark in here?

There have been all sorts of heated debates on here about what a crop sensor does for you. However
the lens is still 70-200mm irrelevant of what body you use it on.

The fact that the sensor is ~ 2/3 of a full frame sensor does give and "effective" zoom of 1.6x200 = 320mm.

So yes at full stretch (200mm) I do get the an effective zoom of 320mm.

I see Mr Old Gitt your using a 70-200 2.8 lens with your D20, are you getting a focal length of 320 with this ? or am i being so dim its dark in here?
There have been all sorts of heated debates on here about what a crop sensor does for you. However the lens is still 70-200mm irrelevant of what body you use it on.

The fact that the sensor is ~ 2/3 of a full frame sensor does give and "effective" zoom of 1.6x200 = 320mm.

So yes at full stretch (200mm) I do get the an effective zoom of 320mm.
I think there's a danger of confusion here.

200mm is 200mm is 200mm. It's the focal length of the lens, and it's a physical property. Whatever body you mount it on, it's 200mm.

However, the angle of view of the lens depends on the size of the sensor. A smaller sensor means a smaller angle of view. The only relevance of the "crop factor" is to enable you to compare the fields of view of different lenses on different cameras. So a 200mm lens on a 1.6x crop camera like a 20D will have the same field of view as a 320mm lens on a full-frame camera like a 5D. But if you're not comparing cameras with different sized sensors, then the crop factor is irrelevant.

... told you :D

The 17-55 wont fit a 5D. It physically won't fit.

Canon made it that way to stop the mirror being damaged. Also the lens will only give you a "sharp" image over the smaller sensor,. The lens wasn't designed to cover the image field of a FF camera

Back