EF300/2.8IS +1.4x versus EF400/5.6

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there anyone out there who's had the chance to compare the 300/2.8 IS with the 400/5.6 .....both usability and IQ.

In other words...will I still benefit having the 400L if I've got the 300/2.8?

Cheers Bob

Bob, clearly the only benefit will be when you give the 400 to me as a belated birthday present - Your bag will be so much lighter that the 300 and T/C will slip in un-noticed, and I will be able to get my 'Decay' entry without having to get up - crutches and cameras don't mix - the one time I tried to get up with my camera on, it swung around so much that it almost knocked me over !
Thanks so much in advance,

Steve

I'll say the obvious thing here... the 300 with a 1.4x tc on it is still F4

I'll say the other obvious thing ... The 400/5.6 is very portable and easily hand-holdable. The 300/2.8 isn't.

I'll say the other obvious thing ... The 400/5.6 is very portable and easily hand-holdable. The 300/2.8 isn't.

I suspected it was going to be difficult to hand hold but found some reports from other sites with people not having too much problem...I now suspect that they're younger and fitter than I am. The 300/4 is disappearing so I guess that the 400 will have to be the portable option.

Ok, more scientific, here is a good comparison for IQ:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...CameraComp=9&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=0

I think the 400 5.6 has it actually...

But then no doubt we will get into whether or not each lens in that test has been calibrated to the body used...

Thanks for that one....I hadn't realised that DPP also showed crops with T/C's mounted. Yes, it's clearly got the edge on the charts.

It looks like the 400 will have to stick around...for several reasons.

Decision made....thanks folks (y)

Bob

The 300 2.8 is a bit of a beast when on a 1D body. One of our motorsport shooting team uses this combo but mainly on a belt mounted monopod - although he does sometimes hand hold it too.

Its big and expensive but cheaper and more fun than a gym membership :D

I have both. I do handhold the 300 with a 1.4x but not too often. I think the IQ of the 400 is slightly better (really - it's as sharp as my 500/4) and it is really light. It's a great walk around lens and for birds in flight. For me, I'm glad I have both.

Paul

Thanks desntnik and Paul.

I'm more than happy with what the 400/5.6 puts out and sad to lose the close focus of the 300/4 but too much prime coverage around the same length seems extravigent...it does to Mrs CB, at least.

Maybe I should practice by handholding the 600/4 and then the 300/2,8 will be a breeze when it's used in anger.

Bob

PS....On seeing the 600/4 being delivered yesterday, she remarked that she expected that it was going to be bigger :wacky:
She's said the same thing previously...escapes me for the moment what it was:thinking:.....oh er, yes, never mind, forget it :crying:

Back