EF70-200 F4L owners...Canon tripod mount ring???

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Just ordered an EF70-200mm F4L which comes without a tripod mount ring.
There are quite a few third party ones on Amazon and ebay etc, ranging from £5 to £20 but all look a bit flimsy! not sure i'd trust almost £500 of lens on a cheap plastic mount, but at the same time cannot afford £130+ for the original Canon one! (which also i'm guessing is plastic :thinking:)
What do those 70-200 owners out there have and recommend?

I got a metal 3rd party one
It's ok chipped a piece off the bracket mount and it still holds great

Bought this over amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y1TUN4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 and I am happy with it. No sharp edges, fairly soft inside to prevent scratches, Color match is also ok.
Build quality is good and holds my 70-200 f4L IS securely.

how did you find the screw mechanism? one of the reviewers says the one on his was "a little erratic"!

Brad, is this the one you've got?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxsima-Tripod-Collar-70-300mm-4-5-6L/dp/B005L9HNSC/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Just ordered an EF70-200mm F4L which comes without a tripod mount ring.
There are quite a few third party ones on Amazon and ebay etc, ranging from £5 to £20 but all look a bit flimsy! not sure i'd trust almost £500 of lens on a cheap plastic mount, but at the same time cannot afford £130+ for the original Canon one! (which also i'm guessing is plastic :thinking:)
What do those 70-200 owners out there have and recommend?

Hi Carl

Why do you want one ?

I've had the 70-200 F4 and it's no issue not to have a tripod mount on it. Canon don't supply one, so they are happy one's isn't essential for it.

By the way - it's a cracker of a lens (y)

how did you find the screw mechanism? one of the reviewers says the one on his was "a little erratic"!

It's not great on mine, I can go so far as saying 'it works' but it is far from smooth.

The Canon one is metal and very well made.

I managed to get a new Canon one for £50. Not sure I'd want to risk putting my 7D and a 70-200 IS lens on a cheap copy to be honest...

There is no discussion regarding the build quality. If you want good quality, pay for it. If you want something which does the job, then you save some money. Regarding the suggested amazon version, it's less than 6 British Sterling Pounds.
The screw did not fail so far, after more than half a year and it was holding my 70-200 f4L IS + 5DMKI (MKIII now)+ 600EX RT without it dropping. (just to mention the heavy gear)
So yeah, for me it does the job.

Last edited:
There is no discussion regarding the build quality. If you want good quality, pay for it. If you want something which does the job, then you save some money. Regarding the suggested amazon version, it's less than 6 British Sterling Pounds.
The screw did not fail so far, after more than half a year and it was holding my 70-200 f4L IS + 5DMKI (MKIII now)+ 600EX RT without it dropping. (just to mention the heavy gear)
So yeah, for me it does the job.

Personally I tend only to use the tripod ring when I know the lens weighs more than the camera. You might find if using the 5d3 and flash that the setup is more stable using the tripod screw in the camera... camera is heavier than the lens and add the flash too...

Hi Carl

Why do you want one ?

I've had the 70-200 F4 and it's no issue not to have a tripod mount on it. Canon don't supply one, so they are happy one's isn't essential for it.

By the way - it's a cracker of a lens (y)

good point!
my 7D is 800+ grams and what's the 70-200 F4L? 706g???
would seem daft not to mount using the heavier of the two ie the body!
after all, that's what the forum is for isn't it...good advice!(y):LOL:

Original canon one is a bit pricey. Buts its metal not plastic and very well made. I never ever used mine for the above reasons.

I recently bought one for my new 70-200 F4 from eBay from "outstandingstore111". It was around £6 and I was expecting a plastic version. What arrived was a substantial metal version - with "Canon" logos, but appears to be fine. Captive nut on fixing is good. Not used much yet, so can't report on that but 1st impressions are good.

I bought an ebay cheapie a couple of years ago and its been absolutely fine.its made of metal not plastic,the screws fine and it hasn't marked the lens despite being permanently attached.

Back