Effects of using a circular Poleriser?

Take your camera and lens with you if you take the filter back, as when I had problems the chap in the shop was trying to blame my equipment for the inability to focus. :nono: Luckily I had my kit with me to prove it was the filter. ;)

Try a Hoya CP filter if you want to still have a Polariser. No need to go for the Pro 1, as I think the one I tried at the time I had problems was about £30+ and that enabled the camera to focus correctly. :)

You have to conclude that the filter is duff, and has been said if the surfaces are not perfectly flat, plano-parallel in filter speak, then it will show up on longer lenses. It's not a result of the polarisation. Can't say I've ever seen it this bad though, really shockingly bad, must be a rubbish filter. Is it acrylic (not glass)? You should throw it at them.

I use a Hoya Pro1 polariser.

Called the shop this morning to pre-empt them on the return - only have a 7 day return period, which I'm out of and they will have to send the filter off. I was quite shocked at how the person on the phone went from chripy and helpful to moody and unhelpful in the space of a few seconds when I said I wasn;t happy with the performance of the product. Looks like this cheap filter is going to cost me time and effort to get it resolved. Thankfully they are only 5-6 miles from work so I can shoot down there when I finish today.

Thanks for all the help and input in this thread. As I said, it was my first venture into the world of filters and I've learnt plenty!! :)

Pleasantly surprised with the face to face service, spoke to another employee, when I explained the conversation from this morning he said "well the other option is to try another one" and romptly took one off of the shelf. Let me know if you have any probs he said and I was on my way back to the car.

Quick test in the car park and all is well :) Performance at 300mm isn't 100% but I now understand that it most likely won't be. On the whole though, I is a happy boy :)

Aw, that's good news! I think I've worked out my mysterious filter too, it's probably time to get going with it!

I tell you what, there's a lot of intelligent people here... handy. I shall continue to leech off of your knowledge.

Back