Egypt! What to expect?

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, relative we to photography!
I'm off on a family holiday to Egypt! Sharm el sheikh, not sure what to expect and also not sure how much of my kit should I take!! I have a canon 40d that's my main camera, also a 400d that was my first! I also have a few normal lens, and a few £500 ones and also a £1800 pound one! What should I take guys?

I

Bucket and spade chav resort with some good diving. Pretty much a town with no character or charm - you could be anywhere in the world with sun.

As for cameras and lenses would are you going to be doing? Staying in the all inclusive hotel? trips out? diving? Hard to recommend really.

General range in the range of 17 to about 50 or 60 and maybe a telephoto. UWA if you're going to do mount sinai or the canyons around.
Circular polariser very handy.

Don't take photos of any police or army, the locals will go "take my photo!" then demand money after it.

Probably best not to wander around Na'ama bay with it especially at night if you don't want to get it nicked.

I also have a few normal lens, and a few £500 ones and also a £1800 pound one!

I had no idea lens models were described by price! That really doesn't help anyone advise you.

Spent 3 weeks there a couple of years ago and agree its a bit like Blackpool in the desert but with less appeal!
We went inland to St Catherine's Monastery and flew to Cairo, both of which provided a bit more photography interest (but I wouldn't suggest going to Cairo currently).
There will certainly be an opportunity to take photos but nothing very inspiring.

I had no idea lens models were described by price! That really doesn't help anyone advise you.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that!! That's my wife's voice inside my head, especially just buying the 70-200 is usm, then new tri pod, cave ect ect , there was nearly a divorce on my hands! 😁😁

Thanks for all comments guys,
By the sounds of it I might just point and shoot!!
Next year I might give my input as to where we go on holiday!! 😡😡😡

Plenty there, you just need to get away from Sharm/naama.

arasmcoast.jpg

areefedge.jpg

Ras Muhammed Park
astcat.jpg

astcatmts.jpg

St. Catherine
awreck.jpg

Nabq protected area
amtdesert.jpg

Road from Sharm to Dahab

Underwater is a completely different world
http://www.virtually-unlimited.co.uk/marine1.html

Its a good place to use as a base to travel from to other parts
Shame about Cairo

But never hand your camera to a ''local'' they will expect money
And if there mate, property, animals are in the picture they will add more then his mate will want money too

Also never accept a "gift" they normally ask for some cash after like a £20 note and will give you change in Egyptian probably worth pennies

Hope this helps

Cairo is still fine, provided you dont hang around in Tahrir square on a Friday there is no issue.
The pyramids (main ones) are in Giza which is miles from there. OK so the Egyptian museum is in Tahrir but you're not allowed to take a camera in there anyway.

Flight to Cairo is about 40 mins and costs £40 (or you can do organised tours). I wouldn't do the bus - anything from 7 to 11 hours depending what mood the checkpoints are in!

Coloured and White canyons are worth seeing but afaik theres an FCO advisory against those and lots of tours cancelled. St Katherine mountain for sunrise is amazing though (skip the monastery - its not exciting).

I Just came back yesterday, you can see some of the photos taken here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben-bsh/sets/72157632552867686/

I took my 400d, 18-55 and 70-200 (f4 L), and think I would of benefited well from a 50mm prime for the market, as I struggled to get decent shots, without drawing too much attention (long lens) and getting enough light (the old town Market comes to life at night, f4 and my 400d doesn't handle ISO well)

Others have said to watch out, personally I am not a big guy, and felt fine walking round the market / beaches at night with camera in full view, everyone said hello was very friendly.

couple of tips, if you do want some nice shots of people at their market stalls (all mine came out badly for light / ISO settings, very silly of me!) negotiate a price first, in coins.. they will want 30EGP (£3) or something stupid, just walk away. Many realise 50p or £1 is better than nothing and let you snap away, but prices have to be negotiated BEFORE taking photos, and then stick to your guns if they want more.

Same as said above for animals, taking a photo of a camel will cost you, letting them take a photo for you will cost you.

and for Cairo, its perfectly safe, they only run the excursions on days people are not demonstrating (tues and thurs from my memory) and I thoroughly recommend going, and if you can take the "VIP" option with a private taxi and tour guide, do it. get out the taxi and explore on foot every now and again!

I would recommend the VIP cruise Thomson offer, it was an amazing day, i took a GoPro HD with me, but am yet to dig it out and see how the shots underwater turned out.

either way, any questions just ask! have a lovely trip!

Id recommend doing those trips yourself, then you can go any day and choose any itinerary. Luxor daytrip is good as an organised trip, the others are cheaper and more flexible to DIY.

Oh and remember if you're arriving in Sharm and are thinking of Cairo or any mainland egypt you need to buy a visa at the airport on arrival. Those are $15, £12 or 90EGP. Just queue at the bank on the left BEFORE passport control.
DONT let someone get it for you, they double the price.
You don't need a visa for Sinai but for Ras Mohammed or mainland you do and (in theory) these can only be legally bought on arrival.

Id recommend doing those trips yourself, then you can go any day and choose any itinerary. Luxor daytrip is good as an organised trip, the others are cheaper and more flexible to DIY.

Oh and remember if you're arriving in Sharm and are thinking of Cairo or any mainland egypt you need to buy a visa at the airport on arrival. Those are $15, £12 or 90EGP. Just queue at the bank on the left BEFORE passport control.
DONT let someone get it for you, they double the price.
You don't need a visa for Sinai but for Ras Mohammed or mainland you do and (in theory) these can only be legally bought on arrival.

Good advice ... we actually arranged for a local Cairo guide and flew from Sharm to Cairo, having booked in advance in the UK. The local guide was excellent and helped us get the most out of our time in Cairo.

Just read all the above advice, very glad I did.
I am going to Sharm El Sheikh in a few months time, my partner has been there before and she says it's lovely there.
I was going to take my camera gear, but, after reading the above posts have decided against it, I will just take my underwater £40 cheapo camera, that will do me fine, not going diving, just snorkling off the end of the jetty that is there, so, happy with my little underwater camera.
I might also take my Nikon compact for images around the resort as it takes better quality pictures.

kry10 said:
Just read all the above advice, very glad I did.
I am going to Sharm El Sheikh in a few months time, my partner has been there before and she says it's lovely there.
I was going to take my camera gear, but, after reading the above posts have decided against it, I will just take my underwater £40 cheapo camera, that will do me fine, not going diving, just snorkling off the end of the jetty that is there, so, happy with my little underwater camera.
I might also take my Nikon compact for images around the resort as it takes better quality pictures.

I think I've come to the same conclusion mate!
Going to but a little compact, and look into getting underwater camera too!

Thanks guys for all your comments!
Going to take a few camera books instead for round the pool!! ;-)

I'm unable to get links but I uploaded a couple of YouTube digital camera videos last year. Search for mr tulipone on you tube. They were just off the jetty and taken. With a cheapie Fuji xp51.

Egypt is fine.

Cairo is very crowded. Think London with 4 times as many people. But it had an amazing vibe, lots of street markets and amazing architecture. The Cairo Museum is good, but no cameras allowed and it's on Tarhir Square. Be very careful if you go to the square, the people are great, but be aware that it's very volatile. Their media centre is great.

Luxor, Assouan, Abu Simbel, all worth the trip.

beware bakhsheesh. Don't pay people for photos, don't flash the cash.

Well, we won't be going to Cairo, too expensive on plane and too long on coach, besides, my partner cannot walk too much, so, it won't be enjoyable, so, just gonna stay at resort and spend the time chilling.

An unusual difference to most resorts is that you are unlikely to see any working women e.g. room cleaners, reception staff, shops etc etc almost all work is carried out by men.

gramps said:
An unusual difference to most resorts is that you are unlikely to see any working women e.g. room cleaners, reception staff, shops etc etc almost all work is carried out by men.

Never known women to work anyway ;-)
Sorry girls!

Its a great place to visit if you steer clear of tourist traps. Although inventive photos of said traps can be good if you can cope with all the questioning.

Things looking extremely volatile in Cairo ATM :(

There's no reason not to take your gear to Egypt (other than the weight restrictions on the plane) We've been six times (it's cheap and an excellent place to chill in the sun and do some snorkelling) although only once in Sharm as we prefer it up in Taba where it's quieter.

It's worth taking a trip to see the historical sights as the scale of these things has to be seen to be believed but they are best avoided during summer (it was over 50°C when we went to Luxor in June).

The Red Sea resorts are a bit uninspiring but there is some decent light at sunrise and sunset and some interesting things can be found. I usually take the DSLR and a compact with underwater housing. I've just bought a Canon G1-X and underwater housing so this year I might just take that.

Dawn Pastels by binliner, on Flickr

The Great Hypostyle Hall by binliner, on Flickr

Distant lands by binliner, on Flickr

Back