Eigg Part III (Singing Sands)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

On to the third installment of shots from Eigg.

Other parts -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

These are from a beach known romantically as the Singing Sands - perhaps a more accurate title would be 'Squeak slightly underfoot when dry Sands' :D

There is some great geology here for foreground interest around high tide, which unfortunately was at mid-afternoon during our stay. Very flat light and barely any wave action had me reaching for the ND filters and some B&W processing, which I don't normally attempt.

As ever C&C appreciated, particularly on the conversions.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble choosing between number 1 and number 4.

Number 1 makes me slightly dizzy, but there's somethnig about the comp that's just right for me.
Number 4, I'm liking the huge rock that looks so isolated, even though it's surrounded by other rocks.

Lovely set.

I love no.5

All really nice images Tom!! No.1 just gets my vote as it appears to draw you into the mountainous land in the distance. Excellent

Lovely set especially no1. No3 seems like the odd one out.

Lovely shots.. in a gorgeous location. Jealous, moi? ;)
1 and 5 for me.. very dramatic but then I a sucker for dark and moody. I find the rock at the bottom on 4 a little distracting and 3 just a tad bland.

Thanks very much all.

Number 4, I'm liking the huge rock that looks so isolated, even though it's surrounded by other rocks.

Yeah I wasn't terribly hopeful about that composition when I first set the tripod down, but was pleasantly surprised at how nicely the elements seperated out, although the extreme foreground is a little weak as Helen spotted.

Lovely set especially no1. No3 seems like the odd one out.

Thanks - yeah 3 doesn't really fit the set. It was taken at a totally different time of day and tide, but I've been grouping the sets geographically up until now so decided to include it here regardless.

Lovely, the Rum Cuillins make a great backdrop.

Were you using a CPL in #5?

I really want to go back in winter when there's some snow on the Cuillin, they make an ace backdrop. No CPL, just a 10-stop ND. There was barely any water in the foreground except for when one of the meager waves came in, so you're not really seeing through water, just the path of foam.

Back