Elan Valley Black & White HDR

Name
Julian Slaughter
Edit My Images
Yes
Following a trip to Gigrin a couple of weekends ago, we decided to go back the long way via the Elan Valley. It was bitterly cold so didn't hang around much. I did get a couple of bracketed shots that I thought I'd try HDR on, but I know I wanted black & white.

Here are the results. Please let me know what you think of the shots/conversion/etc.

3244113026_437881e68a_o.jpg

3243282189_fb8d543439_o.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking

I do like the mood you have created - there's something about B&W.

b&w just adds so much drama and feeling to a shot, cheers for your comments.

the b+w really helps the 1st shot.
the clouds would not have looked so good in colour i think....

md(y)

md, too be honest, both shots lost something in colour but the b&w versions just seem so much better

Was it Sat 24th Jan you went there? The afternoon around 3pm ish???

Random questions but I was up there that afternoon - again bitterly cold - and there was a couple of togs up there, similar photos to mine with the sky.

DB

like them both but no1 is very nice (y)

just started to experiment with hdr conversion to b&w myself, result like no1 will please me no end

b&w just adds so much drama and feeling to a shot, cheers for your comments.

It does but I'm not seeing it here. The shots lack contrast and well thats what b&w is all about. Light and shadow playing together across a landscape to create something fantastically dramatic. The first really lacks contrast and the 2nd is under-exposed which is sort of against the point of HDR.

Do you never tire of being wrong Pete? :p

I'm not really feeling much from the 1st shot to be frank. I find that it deposits my eye out at the bottom left too quickly. It does also have a sort of a grey feel, which I know reflects the mood but I just don't get on with. There are some HDR banding issues too of course.

The second shot though is just beautiful. It's the darkness that makes it work so well for me and really lets the river and sky have the say that they deserve. I certainly don't think "HDR" when I see it and surely that's the sign of any effect/process/filter well used???

Not really. Girls are always looking for Mr Right :D

Yet they always say they end up with you, Mr Wrong.

Gotta admit, it's a cunning plan.
scratchchin.gif

Ah but you see in a subjective world where opinions are neither right nor wrong i'm perfect since I'm not wrong :p

I prefer to think of it as a world where opinions are either mine or wrong. :D:LOL:

I love number one, and I generally prefer mono to colour, however number two just looks a bit dark to me. There are many moody mono shots posted on here and I think many of them are too dark with not enough light tones. It could be just my monitor though.

Thanks for the critiques, thats what this site is all about. I take your comments onboard Pete, cheers.

Impspeed, yep, my friend Paul and I were there, we'd just been to Gigrin and thought we'd have a look at the dams. Were you with your gf/wife?

Thanks for the critiques, thats what this site is all about. I take your comments onboard Pete, cheers.

Impspeed, yep, my friend Paul and I were there, we'd just been to Gigrin and thought we'd have a look at the dams. Were you with your gf/wife?

I was there with the GF. We had been to an Owl sanctuary out in Kington earlier in the day and decided to take her for a drive.

She was complaining about the cold and made a comment about the 'photography widow' (pregnant lady) who was there with her husband/partner whilst it was freezing!!!

DB

not sure about the first, the composition would be better a bit further away? The second is great and I would dodge the flood plains in a bit just to lift it and highlight the direction of the river

Great, I like both of them. HDR looks much much better in B&W in my opinion. is more...gentle :) I have posted few photos today "Industrial B&W" in HDR but didnt get to many comments:) You are doing much better:)

Back