Electricity, watts and all that stuff...??

Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, I know naff all about electrical things like power ratings, so what I need to know is, if I buy a 600 watt inverter (with a 1500 watt surge limit) to run smoke machine could I run a 700watt one for the time it would take to heat up and put out a small amount of smoke/fog for an outdoor photoshoot, or would I be better with the 400watt smoke machine?

I already have a 400watt inverter, but I'm not sure if that would be enough to work even the 400watt machine, or if a 400watt smoke machine would even be worth having.

Can anyone help?

The sensible answer is no.

However, power ratings are usually for continuous use. If it's only for a few minutes you would probably get away with it without it overheating.

The better arrangement is 600w inverter and 400w smoke machine.

Steve.

I guess if you wanted real smoke it might be ok :shake:

Inverters are notoriously fragile.
Best to really overdo it on the inverters specs and try not to push it with what you take out of it.

Think of it like this....

You have 2 downlighters in your bathroom and they are 20W bulbs in there. Now when one goes you get a 50W bulb and stick it in because you want it brighter, and hey it works. However the transformer that was only rated at 50W to begin with to cope with the 2 x 20W bulbs will slowly but surely give way because all of its internal components are rated at 50W and you are drawing 70W.

So yeah it would work but for how long, your guess is a good as mine. Now work out the cost of maybe 2 or 3 invertors at 600W because you keep replacing them or pay a little more up front and get one that will last.

will work ok for a bit but isn't safe ;) as its a smoke machine so needs 10-15 mins to warm up you should be ok, maybe. Is it an uber cheap inverter? might be more persuadable to explode if it is ;)

will work ok for a bit but isn't safe ;) as its a smoke machine so needs 10-15 mins to warm up you should be ok, maybe. Is it an uber cheap inverter? might be more persuadable to explode if it is ;)

uber cheap? Yes...Maplins special offer, 40 quid :LOL:

I only plan to use it once in a blue moon with the smoke machine......

Back