Electronic Controlled Water Drops

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
After much scratching of head, ordering of kits and parts and many hours of soldering and working my way around circuit diagrams I have at last finished compiling my electronic controllers for water splashes, collisions, sound and movement triggered images.

I had a quick play with the setup today and without doubt the timing side of the project is now well and truly sorted. I now need to sort out additional lighting and play for hours with different liquids and colours but I shall beat this thing :bonk:

Here are a 3 quick and very basic shots from the first trial session.

5395620937_ecfd0d14ff_z.jpg

5395620945_3efdd114f7_z.jpg

5395620957_123f12c058_z.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
How much to build it for someone?:)

How much to build it for someone?:)

Funny enough I have not costed it all out yet but I did buy and build 2 CameraAxe kits from the states and I did build two solenoid valve units sourced from Australia that way it makes the postage cost worth while when I come to stick the spares items on eBay (y)

Last edited:
Nice images Mark:clap:

With the circuit that you built, did you get it to trigger a flash or the camera?

The reason I ask is I and a mate also built a circuit some time ago. But we made it trigger the camera. Due to slight shutter lag (at a guess), the camera seem to trigger at different times. I have always wondered whether it was due to triggering the camera itself or whether the circuit was just not precise enough.

Funny enough I have not costed it all out yet but I did by and build 2 CameraAxe kits from the states and I did build two solenoid valve units sourced from Australia that way it makes the postage cost worth while when i come to stitck the spares items on eBay (y)
so are you controlling the water as well as the camera? you say you have 2 solenoid valves? I would guess you are using thyristor to switch the camera trigger..
Is it your own circuit or one you have got hold of?

Here you go chaps, this is the website that gives you all the answers, I built two of their controllers to sell one :thumb

CameraAxe

I then used their circuit diagrams to source my own parts and build all my sensors myself. This is not only allowed it is encouraged as all of the information is provided explicitly for that purpose (just cover that before anyone asks :| )

I can control both the camera and the flash from the one controller, put the camera on bulb and the controller will open the shutter then trigger the solenoid then the flash then close the shutter. The shutter is far to slow for some of the really crisp high speed shots, I am talking here about catching a balloon at the moment it starts to explode when a pin is pushed into it.. So the shutter is open but the exposure is controlled by the much faster and more controllable flash. I had it set on manual and its lowest power setting of 1/64th as the lower the power setting the shorter the duration of the flash and thus the faster the exposure.

Setup14.jpg

Setup22.jpg

Setup32.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Very nice setup Mark. I am expecting great thing from you now as the sky is the limit (y)
It's great that someone has built a kit and can get the business done.
Just goes to show that you can get repeated shots time after time for little cost.
Well done Mark

Last edited:
Awesome stuff! Reminds me of when a very clever neighbour built me a thermal charger for my RC cars, about 20 years ago, it worked beautifully and was a real contraption!

Love the photos so far - keep them coming.

Last edited:
last picture is my favorite!

Hi Mark,

The spare Camera Axe is now on bay.

M.

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and came across your setup - then I realised that it your Camera Axe that I've bought! Cant wait to try it out.

Funnily enough, your valve sensor is almost exactly what I was thinking of doing, although I may buy the premade one, and put that into a housing. But I'd be really interested in some more detail about how yours is built if you dont mind? I like the use of the 3.5mm jack and switch on the outside of the box, and was hoping I could adapt the premade on to be like this. Also, is the water bottle a Marriotte syphon?

Thanks,
James

Incredibly tidy setup! - much neater than my garage!!

I like the idea of using an external water bottle too, as I think the attached syringe I'm using causes timing changes as the head of water drops. Easy to change though.

I attached an old microphone adaptor to my valve sensor, as I have a number of mic stands to bring into service, hence my awe at your more permanent setup.

Oh - and the pics are very good too :)

Back