Elements 2018

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I use Affinity which my wife doesn't get on with so she downloaded Elements 2018 for a trial (she currently uses PSE7) Her computer has an Intel Pentium cpu @ 3.3Ghz and 4GB RAM, Windows 10, this is within the system requirements for PSE 2018, though the RAM is at the lower limit. Last night editing her first image ( a raw from a Canon 95, so not huge) it was so slow starting up, loading the image, even just a basic rotate,everything in fact, when she came to save the image as a jpeg it wouldn't save as there wasn't enough RAM. Is this normal for a 4GB machine? I would have thought it would at least work in some fashion with a machine within Adobe's own specs. Thanks.

Have a look under edit>preferences>performance to see what percentage of ram is set for Elements to use, it gives an ideal range.
Also check if scratch disks are selected whilst you are in the preference menu

I had the same problem. Windows 10 took up so much RAM there was not enough left to allow elements18 to run.

It would be worth putting another 2-4GB of RAM in the machine and even look at upgrading to a SSD, they have come down in price so much it’s a no brainier.

You’ll notice much quicker start up times, programs will load faster and you’ll be able to open larger files much quicker too.

Thanks for the replies, @tijuana taxi, sorry I know nothing of scratch discs!! looks like a delayed purchase till a new computer or an SSD as Simon advises.

Thanks for the replies, @tijuana taxi, sorry I know nothing of scratch discs!! looks like a delayed purchase till a new computer or an SSD as Simon advises.

No expert myself, but my understanding is that it can use part of your hdd as virtual ram when there is a shortfall
Did you check and see what percentage of ram it was set to use, mine is on 70%

No expert myself, but my understanding is that it can use part of your hdd as virtual ram when there is a shortfall
Did you check and see what percentage of ram it was set to use, mine is on 70%
No, haven't checked yet as not at home, will have to do it later.

Well, got home and she'd already uninstalled it as it was 'ridiculous' so that's the end of that!! Thanks all.

Back