Elements 4 and RAW??

odd jim

Flimsiest Lambresta
Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I have Elements 4 which wont open any of the RAW files saved by my 400D (the camera saves them as CR2 files). No big shakes I think, I'll use Canon's DPP for the RAW conversion. However, on buying this months Photography Focus Guide it keeps going on about the Camera RAW plug in on Elements 4. Checking the list of plug in's on my installed copy it is indeed present.

So why cant I use Element's own RAW converter, which I'm told is better than DPP, its starting to bug me?!

The newer versions of ACR do not work with older versions of Elements :(

...curiously when I click on 'check for updates' it searches, then tells me no updates are available, even though I've not updated it since I bought it two years ago! Hmmm....

Hi I had a similar problem with PSE3 in the end I bought PSE7 which was much cheaper the Nikons DX and I was familiar with the interface.

I have been around software for sometime (not imaging I might add) but I have always found that once the new version comes out the ealiers one get far less or no ongoing support - sorry that probably wasn't much help.

Twentysix - thats a valid point, it would explain why I cant update it at all. I think they still do the upgrade discount (buy the new version of Elements and if you have upgraded from a new one they send you some money back?) so I'll probably do that.

Does PSE4 handle DNG. It may be a bit to early. If it does then you can use Adobe's free RAW converter. Simply process you files through the DNG converter. and it will convert your RAW files to Adobes DNG RAW format. OK double processing, but no quality loss and the converters FREE

Twentysix - thats a valid point, it would explain why I cant update it at all. I think they still do the upgrade discount (buy the new version of Elements and if you have upgraded from a new one they send you some money back?) so I'll probably do that.

Well just show you I missed the upgrade and get your money back offer:bonk:

You can get a brand new full copy of Elements 7.0 from Amazon cheaper than the upgrade from Adobe :)

Elements ACR will deal with 400D raw files. You can find the archive of ACR updates and just download the last one that suports Elements 4. IIRC it's a file called camera_raw_4_4.zip you will need.

Geordie, thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Back