Elements Q- Replacing colour with transparency

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a complex B+W image that I wish to replace the white with transparency.

Selecting all the white bits using the select tool is not an option.

I can change the colour to another, but am stumped as to how to remove the colour.

Any ideas?

Thanks Rich.

I've got a complex B+W image that I wish to replace the white with transparency.

Selecting all the white bits using the select tool is not an option.

I can change the colour to another, but am stumped as to how to remove the colour.

Any ideas?

Thanks Rich.

The question is a little vague.

Are you trying to remove the white parts in a layer or on the original background image as each will need a different approach as removing the white on the original image will just leave the colour of your backround Swatch square at the bottom of the toolbar showing and will not be tranparant but on a layer it will be.

Which brings me to why you cannot use one of the selection tools as you will need to select the white and hit the delete key to remove it in either case.

There is more than one selection tool in Elements but if you do not want to use them then you are left with just being able to use the eraser tool.

Only way I can think of doing it is placing the image you want to come through on a layer underneath the one you want to make transparent and erase the top layer until the bottom comes through where you want it to. Gonna be time consuming though if it's a complex image. Might help people if you can show the images and describe which bits need to be made transparent.

Below is the image

Ice.jpg

Another approach.

Is there a way of selecting by colour (ie black) and copying to a new transparent layer?

If it is like photoshop then you must convert the layer to a NORMAL layer rather than a background layer (which is what any newly opened photograph will be). In photoshop I find the easiest way is to simple DUPLICATE the layer and then delete the original layer! This will mean that the layer you have is now a normal layer.

Once this is done the ERASER will remove whatever you want leaving a hole through the picture. Is there a colour select option in elements? If so use that and click on the bits of white you want to SELECT them then use the eraser as big as you like to delete the white bits.

ice.png

This is done and saved as a PNG. Obviously it looks the same but save it as a png and take a look. White is now transparent.

It took longer to upload by ftp and post the reply :)

@cowasaki

Thanks. How did you do that? As described above?

Quickest way in photoshop to convert to a normal layer is to click on the layer in the layers pallette and drag it onto the new layer icon then drag the original layer onto the trash bin.

@cowasaki

Thanks. How did you do that? As described above?

Follow my instructions to change the layer to be a NORMAL layer.

Then select use "Select - Colour range" which will bring up a black rectangle then click the eye dropper on a white bit. Then you can use the fuzzy slider to say what levels of grey are included.

Once you are happy click ok and you will see the picture again with all the white selected. Click on eraser and then set the brush size to 400 or whatever and simply brush over the picture. This will erase all the white and because the layer is a normal layer there will be nothing underneath it so it will be transparent.

Follow my instructions to change the layer to be a NORMAL layer.

Then select use "Select - Colour range" which will bring up a black rectangle then click the eye dropper on a white bit. Then you can use the fuzzy slider to say what levels of grey are included.

Once you are happy click ok and you will see the picture again with all the white selected. Click on eraser and then set the brush size to 400 or whatever and simply brush over the picture. This will erase all the white and because the layer is a normal layer there will be nothing underneath it so it will be transparent.

No "Select - Colour range" in Elements :crying:

Thanks for your help though.

Eureka.

For anyone else who finds this thread.

Select the colour you don't want with a selection brush.

Menu > Select > Similar

Then press delete.

:)

No "Select - Colour range" in Elements :crying:

Thanks for your help though.

Select colour range has drop down options for highlights/midtones and shadows built in. And double clicking on the background layer (on the layers palette) and hitting return will unlock the layer giving the transparancy which it wont do in a locked layer.
Note you cant save a jpeg with transparancy. Wayne

Back