Elgol

An interesting capture Martin perhaps not what you had planned,however foreground well accounted for with the large rocks.Middle ground taken up with the rocks sitting just nicely to the left,ending nicely with the
mountains and sky.
Think you planned this one sir really like it
GEORGE.

I like the atmosphere, I'm not too sure on the split toning effect. Don't know why, might be the colours & the feel of the image. Lovely photography nonetheless.

Great composition and well captures the atmospheric conditions. Would like to see the original colour version and think it would be good in black and white.

Thanks folks, I have done it in B&W also....not really looked at it in colour, as it was shot with a mono in mind as there was little to no colour or light around...

Elgol B&W by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Split tone over the B&W. I quite like the split tone, its good a feeling the B&W doesn't IMHO,

Curiously, whats the colour like. Often the sea their picks up a lovely colour and the distant view even if its a bit driech is great. Split toning seems all the rage but good view, light and interesting conditions in wonderful colour is often the best.

Last edited:
Split tone over the B&W.

Curiously, whats the colour like. Often the sea their picks up a lovely colour and the distant view even if its a bit driech is great.

I agree on the split tone over B&W....i'll delve into Lightroom and have a play....

Reactions: ST4
What a lovely image, I'm very jealous of your clouds. I ventured to Skye last year for 3 days and went to elgol everyday with a view to getting a similar shot, Sadly it was perfect blue skies every day :(
I love rain and storm clouds

I really like the split tone rather than the be.
I hope you'll take a run at a colour version.
I bet there's more in it than you think and I'd love to see it.

I preferred the B&W but seeing the colour on Flickr it's streets ahead, for me anyway but wtf do I know.

I think the colour version, but with white balance set for the white foam of the sea could work well, as that should bring some of the drama and colour in the sky from the split-tone back, especially if contrast is increased in line with the levels in the B&W and toned versions?

Back