Elinchrom softbox

Name
Carl Davis
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a good softbox that will fit the elinchrom lights thats not as expensive.

The rotalux softbox are very nice but I cant afford around £200 for a 1m box.

I dont mind if it dosnt collapse but i would like it to have the 2 layers of diffusion.

Thanks

Carl

Get an Elinchrom to Bowens adapter so that you can use Bowens accessories - much cheaper, especially as there are a number of third party Bowens S-fit suppliers selling good equipment at sensible prices.

thanks Garry never thought of that.

FranchiseJuan I was looking at one on ebay earlier that was around £50 which im very tempting just wasnt sure about the quality

thanks Garry never thought of that.

FranchiseJuan I was looking at one on ebay earlier that was around £50 which im very tempting just wasnt sure about the quality

You're right to be concerned about the quality. it's very variable and apart from build quality a lot of them are very poorly designed, with the inner diffuser far too close to the front, and the diffusing material itself far too thin to diffuse the light properly. That's why I suggested converting the fitting from Elinchrom to bowens S so that you can use good quality softboxes (and other accessories).

For anyone who does have a cheap and cheerful softbox however, all is not lost... Take a look at How to improve the softbox you've already got (under more free downloads) on my Photolearn site.

thanks again Garry, im wondering if even the cheap ebay ones will be as good or better than the ones that ship with the dlite kits as they have no inner diffusion.

problem is with going the bowens adaptor route is that after a quick search the adaptor is £30 then add a bowens box on top of that it could end up a a fair bit. so I might be better just biting the bullet and getting the rotalux?

thanks again Garry, im wondering if even the cheap ebay ones will be as good or better than the ones that ship with the dlite kits as they have no inner diffusion.

problem is with going the bowens adaptor route is that after a quick search the adaptor is £30 then add a bowens box on top of that it could end up a a fair bit. so I might be better just biting the bullet and getting the rotalux?

£30 for a piece of pressed steel is ridiculous - I'll have a scout round when I get a chance and see if I find something much cheaper.

My personal view is that any softbox without an inner diffuser is a waste of space, regardless of the quality of the outer diffuser. Elinchrom have always done this - they provide good quality gear for people who have enough skill to manage with anything and produce cheaply made products for beginners who need decent stuff to make things easier. Until the D-Lites came out they sold their 'budget' range under the name of Prolinca. It had little in common with Elinchrom pro gear but at least in those days people could see that it fell short of the Elinchrom pro standard. Rant over - promise:LOL:

Well I got the one from ebay and overall its not bad for the money but you are spot on about the gap from the inner diffuser Garry. there is at least 3" gap either side. its a good job I had already got a shower curtain to mod the other softbox's

I'll post some pics when I get a chance and a willing subject.

Back