North England Elterwater Sunrise

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I'm staying in Elterwater next week and will get up for sunrise. I know, sun, lake district... we'll see.

Anyway, anybody have any top tips for locations, ideally short walk or car journey from elterwater itself? Google earth suggests that there is a small jetty at the west end of the lake that might line up nicely with the sun if it does show up but I cannot find any images shot there which maybe suggests it's not as promising a location as the satellite image suggests.

Blea tarn is an option too but I've seen a lot of images from there so it feels a bit too safe.

Just over the other side of Blea tarn - as you are coming down the hill - there is definitely a shot to be had there if you have the right lens. I want to go back there with a longer lens.

Not been to Blea Tarn yet. Though feels like I have. Like the idea of a different take on it though. Are we talking east or west?

Not been to Blea Tarn yet. Though feels like I have. Like the idea of a different take on it though. Are we talking east or west?

More north than east or west. Looking at Elterwater you will probably come from the little lansdale side, when you drive up to Blea tarn the carpark should be on your right and the tarn on the left. If you just carry on up the lane you will start to drop down into the langdales. Such a great view. Can get some nice sun rays on there through broken cloud.

I have been to Blea tarn 4 times, only had reflections once.

When are you going?
I'll probably be there on Saturday and can make another day next week if you want a meet.

When are you going?
I'll probably be there on Saturday and can make another day next week if you want a meet.

Would have taken you up on that but it’s going to be later in the week. Main purpose is to meet up with one of my mates for a bit of winter climbing but would be rude not to squeeze some landscape photography in. Planning on staying at brittania inn

Brittania Inn. Good spot. Good food. Good beer.
Where are you going climbing?
Climb on ice....die of fright!
There may still be a couple of my screws left in a gully on the side of Crinkle Crags. If you find them, can I have them back, please?

More north than east or west. Looking at Elterwater you will probably come from the little lansdale side, when you drive up to Blea tarn the carpark should be on your right and the tarn on the left. If you just carry on up the lane you will start to drop down into the langdales. Such a great view. Can get some nice sun rays on there through broken cloud.

I have been to Blea tarn 4 times, only had reflections once.

Cheers. I'll take a peak at the map.

Brittania Inn. Good spot. Good food. Good beer.
Where are you going climbing?
Climb on ice....die of fright!
There may still be a couple of my screws left in a gully on the side of Crinkle Crags. If you find them, can I have them back, please?

I'll keep my eye's peeled! Not sure yet, maybe up above stickle tarn. Depends a bit on weather/conditions. I think it's best to keep plans fluid at this time of year! Might stick to a hike or some scrambling. We shall see.

Last edited:
Would have taken you up on that but it’s going to be later in the week. Main purpose is to meet up with one of my mates for a bit of winter climbing but would be rude not to squeeze some landscape photography in. Planning on staying at brittania inn

Brittania Inn - Very good choice, one of my favourite watering holes in the lakes. I'd also go with Blea Tarn for sunrise around there

Back