Elvington - first attempt at panning!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, what a day that was. Have just waded through 586 files taken this afternoon at Elvington. Ended up with 37 keepers. Hmm, this is much harder than I thought it would be. My keepers are not all that sharp either.

All suggestions, tips and crits welcome please.

I'm not surprised that you found it difficult Mark. 1/80" ! You have done very well will the ones that you have posted.
You could have got away with bit faster shutter speed. I know some of them are at
1/125".
I would guess that these cars weren't hanging about. Next time try a bit higher speed and have a look at them and slowly bring it down to where you feel comfortable.
You seriously did well if this is your first time. (y)

Kev.

Hi Kev & Coasty. Thanks for the comments.

Was definately my first time - only other time I've ever shot a car was at the UK Le Mans series race at Donnington, with a compact Ixus around 3 years ago! No panning there!

Started out today at 1/250", but didn't get any keepers from those. Switched too early to 1/80" - only a handful from there - most of the keepers were from the 1/125" batch.

Hoping to get to Le Mans 24 this year, and thought I better get some practice in before I go. If this is the level of keepers to trash, I better get a few memory cards sorted!

Still not happy with them really, as none are pin-sharp - have seen quite a few on here and Pistonheads, all of which look superb. Will have to keep plugging away, I think.

I just picked a shot a random and exif says, 1/80th @ F/18, you're not gonna get any fast moving objects sharp @ 1/80th and you certainly don't need f/18 depth of focus.

Shoot aperture priority, I'd shoot wide open at the thick end of 300mm, with that lens its gonna be f/5.6 ? the camera will choose the fastest shutter speed available for the lighting conditions...:)

John, that's confused me now.

Had read a few guides on the net this morning before I set off out. All of them said to shoot Shutter priority, fix at 1/250" to begin with then move slower as you get the hang of the pan.

I can see where you are coming from with a really fast shutter, wide aperture, in Aperture priority, but would that not render the whole shot sharper, rather than just the moving object?

Well it depends how fast the cars are travelling I s'pose, I'm guessing your still gonna get speed blur at 1/500th.
F/18 is no good really, diffraction softens the image at very small holes, but that's what the camera is choosing for your 1/80th shutter speed.
I guess your gonna have to drop to base ISO too.

John, that's confused me now.

Had read a few guides on the net this morning before I set off out. All of them said to shoot Shutter priority, fix at 1/250" to begin with then move slower as you get the hang of the pan.

It all depends on the speed of the subject and how much blur you want but the bold bit is pretty much the way to go. But don't get too caught up on the basic side on panning shot, you need a bit of variety too. I've shot WSB/BSB/Moto GP/BTCC/FIA GT/LE MANS SERIES etc, you need to be able to adjust to each subject and circuit. You also need to think about background distractions as well.

Great first attempt any way

(y)

Thanks for the advice Scott. You are right - the shots I took were mainly all side on and look a tad same'y. Think I will have to head for a real track next time, somewhere with a bit of undulation to give a bit more interest. Maybe Donnington, as that's got some good vantage points.

On the way out yesterday, I noticed some togs shooting from inside the air museum (stood on a banking) that would have given me a better angle / background - so if I head to Elvington again, I will check that out for a start.

Cheers, Mark

For a first attempt you've done amazingly well. Personally, and I know I'm a newbie, I'd be very happy with those shots!

Thanks Andy. Only not happy at this end because I've seen much better elsewhere!

Wahaay, thats a mate of mine driving the atom :)

Those look very good to me in terms of blur/sharpness. Even more so if this is a first attempt!

The guys shooting from inside the museum must have had some zoom! You sure they weren't just museum visitors that got bored and decided to take pictures of the cars instead? :)

Cheers Phil. Pretty sure they were there to shoot the cars - lots of very long lenses on show!

Another one of your mate....

4528240285_546a90ba40.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Phil. Pretty sure they were there to shoot the cars - lots of very long lenses on show!

Another one of your mate....

Cheers. I've not noticed togs there myself, I may take a nosey next time :)

I think you've done well there, as I can appreciate just how fast that atom is going right there :)

I may be at elvington with the '5 on the 15th of May if you fancy shooting that :D

May well take you up on that one mate. Tell you what - I will have a good go of shooting it for a passenger ride! Have driven Elvington many times before, but alas the S/C Rangey that I am currently running is not quite built for it. Once took my RS4 round and shredded my tyres - there's an pic of it somewhere on the book-a-track website. Will try and dig it out. If you're carrying some weight on the '5 be careful on the "top" bend, as I think that's where I killed them!

I'm sure I could sort that out :)

I'll put a set of average part worn's on for this, its a tyre muncher aint it! All very good fun mind :)

Nice One - will do my best to get there for a spin!

A few reminders from June 2006! I'd just had the car put through it's first 1000 mile service. Both fronts were the same. Had to get it back to Leeds Audi on a low loader. The salesmen in the dealership thought I'd gone crackers!

Last edited:
Flamin hell :eek:, you sure did shred the tyres, I wasn't expecting them to be that bad! Was understeer an issue?

Very nice car mind :)

Yes, I believe understeer was the cause. That and front end weight - it was a heavy beast the RS4. As you run round the top of the track, you cross a concrete section of the runway, which is rippled - in line with the length of the runway. As you steer into and out of the bend, and understeer runs the tyres over the ripples the "wrong way". A bit like a cheese grater!

Have driven it without any problems in lighter cars (Noble 3R, Esprit, Lambo-G among others) that even when showing understeer didn't cause any damage to the tyres - the Noble was probably the most balanced of any car I have driven there.

All in all, it was a fun day though (if more expensive than I anticipated) - I was pushing quite hard aswell!

Last edited:
Thats quite an array of quality machinery you've been round in, lucky you! Would be good to be on track with most of that :)

The 5 should be fine for tyre wear. It's pretty light for one, and the suspension doesnt roll a great deal to load up that outer edge of the front tyre. The rears may get more stick from the odd oversteer moment :D

Noble was definately the most fun on track. Better still at Donnington where there's more to entertain than at Elvington.

Hopefully will see you on the 15th - will drop you a line beforehand if it looks likely.

Cheers, Mark

Quality photos! I have no idea how to do this sort of stuff, but the photos make it all look like good fun!

Last edited:
Just in case you were wondering, No3 is a MNR Vortx and No5 is a MK Indy prob with a bike engine. I have built 2 MK Indy's! Great fun!!!

Back