Emma came 5th - *NEW photo added*

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Last club comp of the year last night was a Colour Pictorial

For those not associated with club comps, that means 'anything at all, in colour' - a loose idea though is 'Something I'd put on my wall'

Naturally, Landscapes or Flowers etc. do especially well - and the top 3 were cracking landscapes (can't remember the 4th!)

Portraits do well with the person's mum, but not so well otherwise, so I was pretty pleased that this image came in 5th (of 34 entries)

What was also pleasing was that one of Dellipher's came in 6th (I think, no doubt she'll correct later and God help me if it was 4th! :eek::eek::eek:)

Anyway, see what you think...

Oh, and for the techi types... this was lit with one key-light, and one other against a white background to lighten it (but not make it white). White backgrounds come in anything from white to black, and I've been playing with using only one light in different places to create a gradient effect instead of the usual pure white

Cheers

DD

Emma_Web.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh I like that, straight into the eyes I went :)

yup
it's a good'un all right!

and thanks for the lighting info too(y)

A great portrait and well done (y)

Gorgeous, well done! :)

I like that, has this had much pp work on the skin or is the shot au naturel?

Awwhhh that image is just lovely.
If i'm really lucky and find a genie in a bottle somewhere.. I too might take something like...

But until divine intervention strikes can I ask what equipment you used to make this? I would out right just ask for a blow by blow account but I suspect that would be taking the proverbial...

However you did it , it is beautiful.

So you didn't enter a landscape Dave to capture all that limelight as been in the top three, shame on you LOL
Was it a print comp or digital. I like it but for me may be just a little to much on making the skin perfect but thats only my niggle and what do I know I do landscapes, whoops they won.
Just one other thought Dave I think this would look good as a mono and printed on a quality matt paper.
Did you enter anything else or just the one. Its our club comp Monday (prints) I have entered three, two seascapes and wait for it a portrait (I don,t do portraits only landscapes)

Les F

Love the image...:clap:

Don't for get to keep us posted if you take any more of Emma...:woot:

I like that, has this had much pp work on the skin or is the shot au naturel?

And to Issey too

This young lass has remarkably good/smooth skin & clearly knows how to apply her make-up well

My standard action for such images sharpens the lightness channel in Lab Mode by quite a bit, then adds a 20% blur at 20% opacity and that's how she turned out

What's really funny is that her 15 yr old mate who came with her is spotty as Hell and would need tonnes of PP to get looking like that

:LOL:

DD

Awwhhh that image is just lovely.
If i'm really lucky and find a genie in a bottle somewhere.. I too might take something like...

But until divine intervention strikes can I ask what equipment you used to make this? I would out right just ask for a blow by blow account but I suspect that would be taking the proverbial...

However you did it , it is beautiful.

Key light and background light are both D-Lite 2s

Key has an Octagonal softbox 1m across (to imitate a round light source i.e. the Sun!)

She's actually laid on her belly on the floor, which is white paper, and hence acts as a huge reflector under her face pushing light back into the image and further softening it

As the image you can see is only 800 px wide, even a camera phone could have recorded it like this (the A3 print has awesome detail), but I used an 18-70 Nikon on a D2Xs at f-9 @ 70mm

Is that enough info?

Easy set-up to copy, so if you like it there's no reason you can't all copy it - if you don't have/can afford an octagonal softbox (mine was about £240), a white brolly will do pretty much the same for less

Have a go (y)

DD

Superb shot of a very pretty young girl.

D, I like this shot, so much that last night I actually marked it higher than the winning image. Scandalous I know! :LOL:

And yes, you were right - my baby shot [see Sig] did come 6th place.

Cheers babe!

And, PHEW, glad yours wasn't 4th and I'd forgotten it!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

DD

(y)

works for me mate...

in time ;)

md(y)

:puke:

:eek:

not for me... sorry..

md(y)

:love:Who is she, where does she live, how old is she, does she have a boyfriend, what's her number...............................Sorry wasn't really using my brain to think, some other part of the body;):LOL:. Nice picture, very natural, and well lit(y)

:love:Who is she, where does she live, how old is she, does she have a boyfriend, what's her number...............................Sorry wasn't really using my brain to think, some other part of the body;):LOL:. Nice picture, very natural, and well lit(y)

He's 33 & engaged !!!

:nono::nono::nono:

:LOL:

DD

Here's another - untouched skin - just pp as a toned BW - and yes I do realise I should have lessened the toning on her eye's white areas!

This is about as 'rough' as she gets !!!

If you could zoom in, as I can on the original, you can see every pore

DD

Emma_BW_web.jpg

tis a nice pose imo.

the tone of the shot is nice also ..

as said if you could get the eyes to pop just a tad more it would step up another notch. imo

md(y)

Dave hope you don,t mind I will remove if its a problem, I like your second version better but I had something like this in mind or even a pure mono but what do I know as I do landscapey things. Les F

Emma_Web-copy.jpg

Not sure I can tell Dave but seen as nobody else is looking in;
Convert to mono whichever method you use
Image - mode - greyscale (it will ask do you want flatten) = yes then it will ask discard colour info - discard.
Image - mode - duotone, a box will appear, select quadtone - load and select Pantone and this image is toned with the bottom one of the four, click ok and your done.

Have fun, Les F

Not sure I can tell Dave but seen as nobody else is looking in;
Convert to mono whichever method you use
Image - mode - greyscale (it will ask do you want flatten) = yes then it will ask discard colour info - discard.
Image - mode - duotone, a box will appear, select quadtone - load and select Pantone and this image is toned with the bottom one of the four, click ok and your done.

Have fun, Les F

Wooooooooooooooooosh!

Dave, if you understood all of that then you can do all the arty farty stuff from now on. :D:LOL:

Again, hope you don't mind Dave . . .

Emma-original-by-DiddyDave.jpg

Don't forget: "Graded grains make finer flour"! (some of you might think she's had a sieveful thrown in her face)

Processing: Split to channels (I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9) and this is the red channel.
The blue channel gives her an olive-skinned look; the green channel is closer to the a straightforward grayscale.

Last edited:
Back