Emotion

The lighting isn't great IMHO. It's directed at the model's neck and tight / harsh in nature which is putting the focus on the wrong area. Nothing wrong with tight / harsh light, might work very well with the theme you've selected, but it's not working here.

Are these self portraits? It's so much harder trying to light yourself I find!

Last edited:
Sorry, but these are no where near good enough for a Portfolio, the lighting is all over the place as previously stated

No1 is the better pose but sadly the light lets this shot down, hands are well lit but the face is in shadow also the white bits of fluff on the top catch the eye a tad

No2 the pose looks like the subject has been caught on a security camera :D

No3 Very harsh shadow across the chin and a little too tightly cropped for my taste and the tears are too far to the right of shot to look real in my opinion!

May I ask how these were lit? then the good people in this forum can offer constructive advice on how to make these better

Les;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the opinions, I should of mentioned I was going for a German expressionistic look. I captured different emotions and tried to link the emotion with the light.
These photos are of my friend, they are just taken straight from camera with no extra editing done to them. What do you think of this photo, it expresses a thoughtful happy tear, so I tried to change the lighting to express this emotion. It is my first time to properly use my own lights.View attachment 5845

Thanks for the opinions, I should of mentioned I was going for a German expressionistic look. I captured different emotions and tried to link the emotion with the light.
These photos are of my friend, they are just taken straight from camera with no extra editing done to them. What do you think of this photo, it expresses a thoughtful happy tear, so I tried to change the lighting to express this emotion. It is my first time to properly use my own lights.View attachment 5845

I had to google what German Expressionism was, but if I gather than its characterised by "highly stylized visuals, strange asymmetrical camera angles, atmospheric lighting and harsh contrasts between dark and light. Shadows and silhouettes were an important feature of expressionism". Most of the examples I could find were high contrast B&W.

To that end, I'd say (1), (3) & (4) are too flat - not enough contrast. The lighting in No. (2) might have worked if it was just a little higher - the chin is not a great focal point.

Also, there appeared to be either (a) more context in the shots - taken wider, with a more 'normal' face, or (b) when close cropped (as these are), show a significantly exaggerated expression - I think the expression is too subtle to work in these shots.

Last edited:
I agree with David and in relation to the last image you posted- whats going on in front of her chin????? and the hair top left of shot is distracting, you missed the boat on a Happy Tear too she looks depressed, not in any way thoughtful or happy and once again too tight a crop at the bottom of the image

Les :thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay thanks for your opinions, I'll take on your advice and try it out again. Thanks:)

Last image has the best lighting of the four (although it doesn't seem to match the style you're going for), but there's an obvious artefact next to her chin. Looks very much like something has been quickly cloned out.

Back