Empty 35mm film canisters and the Environment

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I was just wondering why 35mm still comes in a plastic canister, it's not particularly environmentally friendly considering they are pretty much single-use items (unless Filmmakers take them back for recycling/re-use)

I'm starting to have a lot of these now and it seems somewhat criminal to just landfill them, are they even recyclable?

Would it be better to have them in a paper wrapper like 120?

Also they sell on eBay too (both the lidded can and the film can if it has a leader). For those of us that bulk roll they're very handy.

I wanted a few (a dozen or so) about 12 years ago, not long after I had gone mostly d*g*t*l (Dad wanted them to keep small model railway bits in) so I went to a local shop who did on-site D&P. Ended up with a black bin liner full of the things! Sorted out the opaque but vaguely see through ones and a selection of different coloured lids and stuck the rest in the recycling.

It takes half a pint of water to cover a film in developing, or to make up the dev/bleach/fix solution to develop it.
In the grander scheme of ALL the environmental 'nastiest' involved in the manufacture and use of a 35mm film..... YOU are worried about about less plastic than is in a pair of socks?
I don't really see this as a big concern personally... of all the things that do harm to the environment, it REALLY is about bottom of the list of stuff to get het up about!
And besides, they ARE good for keeping things like the screws out the TV stand or the ones that hold the crumb tray in the toaster in... stuff like that.
ISTR that they conveniently hold/held 10 US Quarters for the toll booth, to save the coins falling down a crack in the car door pocket, stuff like that.....
I REALLY don't think that recycling even ALL the film canisters ever made is likely to go all that far to saving the planet from being inundated with refuse or making the oil last another hundred years... I really don't.... call me jaded, call me synical, but...... more worrysome to me right now is the shortage of plain flour to make yorkie puddings for Sunday dinner, when all the shops have sold out cos of Corrona madness!

STR that they conveniently hold/held 10 US Quarters

They hold just over £20 worth of £2 coins. We collect these (well, not collect so much as stick 'em aside!) then Mrs Nod uses them for change at her studio, sticking the £20 note in a tin upstairs. Pays for our holiday car hire.

They hold just over £20 worth of £2 coins. We collect these (well, not collect so much as stick 'em aside!) then Mrs Nod uses them for change at her studio, sticking the £20 note in a tin upstairs. Pays for our holiday car hire.

They hold 18 £2 coins I believe. I’ve started using one to save £2 coins which I’ll then spend on film when it’s full. I’ll get £36 to treat myself with. :)

Our local recycling is sorted by humans rather than machines.

Our local recycling is sorted by humans rather than machines.

If I've got any plastic there is always a workman hanging around and I say.......where does this go.

there is always a workman hanging around and I say.......where does this go.

It's to hope you don't catch him on a "bad " day…....You may receive a not so polite response!:wideyed::LOL::LOL:

It's to hope you don't catch him on a "bad " day…....You may receive a not so polite response!:wideyed::LOL::LOL:

:)

The workmen here at the recycling dumps are like traffic wardens in that there is a charge for anything other than what they think is not household stuff e.g. bag of soil or rubble £3 and a tyre £3 etc. So all this just causes more fly tipping around the area. :mad:

Back