Critique Emsworthy Barn Bluebells Dartmoor

Edit My Images
No
Been planning a trip here for a couple of years but never got around to it. Yes I know its been shot to death but not been there for years an certainly not with a camera. Conditions were not ideal with clear skys and the covering of bluebells was not as prolific as last year, but it was a nice chilled evening out none the less. Heres my efforts, as always please feel free to critique thanks for looking
emsworthy barn (explored) by Adrian Pearce, on Flickr

2)
emsworthy rays and bluesbells by Adrian Pearce, on Flickr

3)
blue sunet by Adrian Pearce, on Flickr

Last edited:
Right Adrian, as you have put this up for critique I will offer some, although I'm no expert.

Firstly are you shooting in Raw? All the images are very badly oversaturated and very contrasty, shooting in the bright sunshine has caused this but if you shoot in RAW at least you can enhance the shadows and balance the images better, at the moment you have lost all the details in the shadows.

The first image is probably the best composition wise and the light is quite nice but still too harsh! The 3rd shot needs some post processing again as it's too dark, there are some nice scatterings of light though. The second shot does nothing for me, I really dislike the sun flare here, just way too bright, you would of been better moving to the left a little more into the shadows.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Neil . I always shoot in raw but dislike the effect bringing the shadows out software gives. Normally I try to blend different exposures with luminosity masks. I have applied a contrast curve but that coupled with high pass and flickers sharpening has probably over cooked the contrast a bit .This is something I keep forget to under sharpen for posting. The saturation as you said is probably due to shooting into the light the only saturation I played with was the blues only but did use a polariser. The sun flare I quite like but do agree it is too bright , will tweak it a bit when I get my luminosity masks sorted out again . Agreed in the last defo looks way to dark. Appreciate the feedback helps a great deal and sort of brings you back to reality, sort of like walking away from a processed image and seeing if you still happy with it some time later. Cheers

Just bought a new laptop today with an IPS screen .now it all makes sense all my photos I've processed on my old laptop look totally over saturated and contrasty. Looking forward to trying out the new one [emoji3]

Have to agree with previous comments regarding the saturation, and also the final image looks massively underexposed.
I've always found editing on a laptop to be very hit and miss simply because of the variables of screen angle.
Looks like a beautiful location though.

Back