Enchanted Snowdonia - The Carneddau Ponies

Edit My Images
No
I'm lucky to live in Snowdonia and on my walks in the Carneddau I regularly see the beautiful wild ponies which inhabit the range. Last week I had a wonderful encounter with them accompanied by my ex fiance who is the nearest thing I know to a horse whisperer...I hope you enjoy these shots. Thanks for looking :)

High Horses - Explored
by Nick Livesey Mountain Images, on Flickr

Shadowfax - Eryri Enchanted - Explored

Friends in high places

The Horse Whisperer - Explored

Nice photo's I like the second one with the sun light giving a slight halo effect on the hair. Is it possible to lighten the dark part of the pony a little?

loving the second image a pony ( not quite Shadowfax though lol) and a landscape shot all in one- well caught

Les ;)

Not a horsey person at all but they are fantastic,3rd and 4th for me

Lovely images. No1 & 4 are my favourites......I would also like to see No4 in colour, as the sky and landscape look interesting.

Very nice and a little bit bit different.

I particularly like the first with the low light and Tryfan backdrop.

Nice set of pics. I prefer the colour ones.

Thank for looking and all the comments folks :)

what exactly do you mean by that?

Nick, I have no recollection of seeing the pictures before today, let alone commenting on them (as I've said via "conversation" to the mod team). I'm sorry if I caused any offence (or if someone's caused it in my name).

FTR, I like the shots but feel that they're a little underexposed.

After being informed as to what I may have said, I now know what I would have meant by the comment. IF I'm right, it was a reference to HDR or similar excessive PP not being the answer to correcting any deficiencies in the original shots rather than being a personal slur on anyone.

Please accept my apologies for any insult taken, any comment about a TP would have been aimed at images not people.

I believe these images are a good starting point, though number 1 & 2 could do with more PP to help them pop.

In #2 the background is lacking contrast, with the shadows looking very thin. If they were more defined like the foreground, it would significantly improve the mood and tonal range across the image.

Really lovely photos, I love the 2nd photo. Really jealous! wish I could have been there.

Hope you don't mind me posting, i'm a lurker and haven't been on for ages, but these pics moved me emotionally

I supose you could fault them if you tried really hard.

But why would you, no2 is fantastic

Some harsh comments here I think Nick.. I've seen these posted elsewhere and commented.. for me they're great shots which have "feel" to them, the lighting isn't perfect (often isn't in Snowdonia) but that's a complete non-issue. The first time I saw them my thoughts were "WOW", they still are, wonderful stuff.

I'm surprised how close you got to the ponies, last time I photographed the ones on Conwy mountain I had a rather scary moment as they decided enough was enough !!

Simon

Some harsh comments here I think Nick.. I've seen these posted elsewhere and commented.. for me they're great shots which have "feel" to them, the lighting isn't perfect (often isn't in Snowdonia) but that's a complete non-issue. The first time I saw them my thoughts were "WOW", they still are, wonderful stuff.

I'm surprised how close you got to the ponies, last time I photographed the ones on Conwy mountain I had a rather scary moment as they decided enough was enough !!

Simon

Wise words Simon, it's easy to offer Crit on an image but unless someone has been to the location where it was taken they would have no idea of light. Just returned from North Wales and Snowdonia is a stunning place but...unless you go there at night I found it extremely hard to capture some shots I wanted as you have to shoot into or towards the sun, no turning round as the scene is completely different, wait to long and the sun has gone behind the mountains and the lovely light has disappeared, even using grads and/or a polariser failed to stop sections of the sky being blown and haze in the background and all raising the contrast does is bring in noise and offers no improvement to the background.

As others have already said, an absolutely stunning set. I too love Horses (includes Ponies!).

Shot #2 wouldn't look wrong with a Unicorn's horn!

A simply superb set.............with #2 being the "money shot" :clap::clap::clap:

I think the first two are the best of a very good set. The perspective of the first really enhances the photo and the light on the horse and the stunning backdrop make the 2nd a real cracker. Having photographed wild ponies on Exmoor, nowhere near as successful as these, I have to say really well done.

Steve

Back