Endless Mirrorless Paralysis Analysis - to leap or upgrade FF DSLR gear, that is the question

Edit My Images
No
Bear with me. Some of the below is driven from need, rather than want and is a bit of a ramble. Thought I'd think out loud and join the throng of others considering the same.

I love(d) my 5D3 and L Zooms + other lenses and a spare 7D2. Still do, but my drivers for owning FF gear have changed (and it's so big/heavy....). I was keen enthusiast, on the brink of turning Pro as I left the RAF in 2015, did a few paid jobs, but decided ultimately getting paid from regular employment and keeping Photography as a hobby rather than work was my best option. It was the right gear at the time for my plans then - Studio/portraiture/weddings along with my own interests of landscape/travel. I'm still a massive enthusiast, and not ashamed to say I also like the gear (hence want vs need).

Fast forward to now. I have reached a decision point and decided I had too much money invested in Canon equipment than was rational given the levels of use it was getting as a keen enthusiast and I do mostly Landscape and travel these days. I think Canon's launch price of £3600 for the 5D4 catalysed this thought process. Used values of 5D3 down to about £1200, and even with part ex bonuses etc, you are still looking at the thick end of £2000+ to upgrade a body. Which is a bit spendy for an enthusiast (well it is for me). Granted, prices are already beginning to soften on the grey market (£2.7k or so), and that's evil initial depreciation for some!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, through a process of rationalising, and thinning down of kit, spare body etc, I'm faced with a choice of upgrading my 5DIII to a 5DIV (and refreshing my core lenses, while disposing of others) for a net cost of +£50 or so. That's an attractive option from the desire side and would leave me with 5DIV, 16-35 4 IS, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 II. A really solid trinity of zooms and a beast of a camera.

On the need side, I can get a Fuji XT-2, 18-55, 10-24 and 55-200, and if I took an alternate path from the above option that involves getting rid of all the Canon gear I currently own, I'd end up with around £3k in the bank and the Fuji setup described. That leads to the devil in my ear saying £50 gets you tech refreshed into a 5DIV with top notch lenses, and the angel in the other one saying come on, over £3k in the bank. Is the Canon gear really £3k better (for your needs) than the Fuji? Do you really want to lug another heavy FF DSLR and big lenses around? Will you use it as much as if you had a lighter system?

I can make a case for either. I'm a gear nut, I'm never happy unless I've got the latest, and best. The 5DIV rig will be awesome, and it's a sunk cost - I've already found the money in the past (all bar £50) for this hobby.

The Fuji is technology evolved - it shows how fast and effective mirrorless is becoming. It (appears) to be an excellent camera, if I "compromise" on the lenses per the above, I still get a very nice set up. However, if I went for all pro lenses to replicate what I have now, there would be no fiscal case for a nuclear option to switch to Fuji. Well, I'd be about £500 in the bank better off overall.

So really my dilemma is do I downsize or not. Especially given that the downsized gear, through the progress of technology, is really now very very good so not so much a compromise as it might otherwise have been. The sensor on the Fuji seems to do very well - good dynamic range, low noise, good resolution, and a fairly strong system built around a very compact SLR like body. I don't see a downsized route in the Canon that gets me the size advantage of the Fuji system. Would it be a 5DIV and 2.8 L Lens replacement - no, of course not. Would it be good enough given advances in the State of the Art - many seem to think reading online. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

On a related note, I'm increasingly of the view that mirrored cameras are at the end of an era. The state of the art with mirrored cameras is excellent, but rapidly being undermined by the upstart mirrorless cameras. A bit like Plasma vs LCD vs LED vs OLED. I strongly suspect that within the lifecycle of the 5DIV, the advances in mirrorless will be such that there may not be a mirrored 5DV. Not that any of this matters that much - a bit maybe from a depreciation standpoint. Cameras are never an investment of course, but if the market shifts to smaller, formats, demand drops, and in some cases through the floor. We are kind of seeing that with 5DIII used values. Who doesn't prefer smaller, faster, lighter, cheaper etc. I know the camera you have in your hand is the one that matters and while you decide, you aren't taking pictures - I get that, but I've never before had this level of paralysis over buying new gear. And before you say, so keep your old stuff, I haven't ruled out that option entirely!

I had a similar quandary re Guitars.dont play professionally or even in a band doing gigs any more but always wanted top gear,do i really need the guitars i have now as i just play for relaxation and pleasure.

well no i don't need them but i want them and they give me a deeper satisfaction than playing say other a lot less expensive ones because of the feel touch and sound and yes look.

if its the same for you then you have to go either by heart or head maybe,

I will continue to play my guitars and not sell them ,i would miss them a lot,will you miss your canon gear?

Yes, want/desire have driven procurement of most of my current outfit. I have never really needed FF (apart from a brief period), I've never really needed L lenses etc. But it's fun to have it. The desire aspects are tempered though by the sheer weight and size of the gear - it makes it less of a pleasure to use. I was looking back through lightroom today, trying to see what percentage of shots I'd taken at higher than f/4 etc, and I came across my first "proper" digital camera files. From a Minolta Dimage 7i - still perhaps my favourite digital camera. It reignited my interest in photography - it was small, light, had an excellent lens and range, and took excellent images that still look great onscreen. Of the thousands of images I've taken then and since, the number of 7i images on our walls is wholly disproportionate. Perhaps what I really desire is a do it all camera like that again :)

To answer your question - yes, I'd miss it - the quality and performance are excellent. It's a tough call.

I'm sure you are right that the future is mirrorless but is now the time to switch, I'm not convinced and from your post I'm not sure you are either. Why sell your 5Diii and lenses when they are fine for most amateurs?

At the end of the day it is the result that is important so it shouldn't matter if you used a camera phone or the top of the range Canon DSLR.

Last edited:
Simple isn't it? How much do you want £3k?

What else could you do with that money and would you rather have/do that or have the Canon kit?

I chopped in all of my Nikon FF kit after trying m43, supposedly as a travel camera but ultimately an everything system for me.

Last edited:
FF kit doesn't have to be big and heavy. Get a Sony A7 and a 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8, forget the rest and enjoy life :D

Hi Simes,
I think my post the other day about changing my D750 for an XT2 is the same as your quandary, albeit you have more gear. But i am feeling exactly the same.

I know this is coming from a weird angle, but why does it have to be a question of SLR or Mirrorless? You can have both it is allowed,. That's what I did.

I have built up quite a nice collection of Canon pro stuff over the last decade or so. I purchased a Fuji X-T1 and 18-135 lens from the Fuji refurb shop a month ago, I haven't used any of the Canon gear since, I have started to sell it. I love using the Fuji.

An important question is whether the weight and size of your FF gear is stopping you taking photographs. If you'd take smaller lighter gear out more often, then you'll take more photographs, probably a more diverse range of photographs, and have more fun.

Start off with thinking about what pictures you want to make? Does you current kit do that? If not, why not and from that make your decision?

Just buy what you want / need at the time. Otherwise you'll never be happy.

You could do what myself and a lot of others have done - keep your existing kit (sell the lenses you were going to sell anyway) and run a second system alongside. If you find yourself using the second system more, you will grow it accordingly, then at some point will have an epiphany and flog all your big stuff that's sitting around collecting dust. Or not if you prefer your DSLR! But you'll have an answer either way. Safer still, buy the second system used - you can always replace it with new if you fall in love :)

Some great comments all - thanks. There is nothing my current kit can't do that I want it to do, aside from perhaps a desire for better as the state of the art develops. I'd no doubt like (not need) a 5D4 for that reason. My only criticism of it, well, two, are bulk and cost - I don't need the 3k but neither do I want to squander it. I think I would use my camera more were it smaller and lighter. So that's a factor for sure. But perhaps I'm just fearing making the leap to mirrorless and then being disappointed which might be worse than living with the bulk and price to be a costly experiment. I think there is a lot of merit in buying a mirrorless basic setup alongside. It's a risk if I don't like it, but it's probably an easier position to recover from. Thanks again for your useful input - it's good to think out loud and have some second opinions!

Suggest two things: get the Fuji XT2 and say 18-55 and see how you get on.

At the same time, invest a small amount in a 'carrying solution' for your Canon gear - Black Rapid sling strap and Think Tank Speed Freak shoulder/waist bag. The weight will evaporate.

Mirrorless may well be the future, but it's still some way off and there's a lot of life in DSLRs yet. On the other hand, you don't seem to be using some of the FF DSLRs great strengths - focus tracking, high ISO, shallow depth of field. And the XT2 is a beautiful thing, lovely to use with tactile analogue-style controls. Fuji is very good at appealing to the emotional/irrational side ;)

I'd suggest another option. The market is flooded with X-T1's at the moment so why not pick up a used X-T1 and 18-55mm and see how you get on. Granted the AF system on the XT2 is leaps ahead of the XT1 but you'd get a feel for the system, the image quality it can provide etc and if you like it and want to stick with it you could swap the XT1 for the XT2 without losing a great deal of money. In fact if you did all this very quickly there's a good chance the £100 trade in bonus will still be running so you'd probably not lose anything on the XT1.

You could of course do what I and some of the others on here do, run two systems. I have the D750 and XT1 and love them both, but they are two very different beasts and there's no way I'd be willing to let my Nikon gear go for the fooj.

I second (or third) what's being said above, if you can afford it get a Fuji as a second system, either XT1 or 2 and either the 18-135 or 18-55 and see what you think, it's hard to quantify using the Fuji but I held off for years and now I can see why people suggested them so much, the specs don't reflect just how good they are.

And yes, get a black rapid, irrespective of what you end up with its well worth it.

Last edited:
I second (or third) what's being said above, if you can afford it get a Fuji as a second system, either XT1 or 2 and either the 18-135 or 18-55 and see what you think, it's hard to quantify using the Fuji but I held off for years and now I can see why people suggested them so much, the specs don't reflect just how good they are.

And yes, get a black rapid, irrespective of what you end up with its well worth it.
I used to use black rapid but prefer the peak design slide, no more flapping and spinning camera on my hip now :)

I'll take a look thank you

I agree with a lot of what's been said above. Especially the advice regarding running two systems and ultimately deciding which you prefer. I sold all my M43 kit and bought a Nikon D750 and I did not like it at all and regretted selling up. I then moved to Sony FF and as I suffer GAS Sony is proving expensive for me and Im still wanting to go to M43 or yes, even Fuji to keep cost down.

However, what I have learnt is where possible not to sell until im comfortable with the new system. For me a very expensive learning curve.

I agree with a lot of what's been said above. Especially the advice regarding running two systems and ultimately deciding which you prefer. I sold all my M43 kit and bought a Nikon D750 and I did not like it at all and regretted selling up. I then moved to Sony FF and as I suffer GAS Sony is proving expensive for me and Im still wanting to go to M43 or yes, even Fuji to keep cost down.

However, what I have learnt is where possible not to sell until im comfortable with the new system. For me a very expensive learning curve.

"Fuji" and "cost down" don't often go together in the same sentence![emoji3]

Perhaps see if you can rent one to itch the GAS. Very different type of camera to a 5d. But not _that much_ smaller once you use their premium lenses. it's an expensive exercise to change if not sure anyway ! :)

If you do mainly landscape and travel then this could open the door to a smaller camera set up, particularly the travel aspect. This might not necessarily point just to Fuji as a used Sony A7 or A7ii would be very good options. I have used Fuji for 3 years now and you will love using the cameras - they bring a connection and desire to pick up and use that you just don't get with other cameras. However, my experience of using a 16MP X-T1 and 24MP Sony RX1R is that the FF Sony just destroys the Fuji in terms of resolution , detail and high ISO. Now, I believe that the 24MP X-Pro2 and X-T2 will both be far better in this respect than their predecessors, so I doubt that this will be a cause for concern.

If you don't need 100% reliable AF tracking, proper flash system with HSS, or need to shoot events, weddings, wildlife and sports then downsizing would be a viable idea and 3k would be very useful for other things I'd imagine.

My suggestion would be to go to a camera store where you can try out cameras for as long as you want. Take some SD cards and take the same image with different cameras, including a FF Canon. See how you feel with the ergonomics, buttons, how it feels to hold and shoot. Try different lenses too, and shoot in darker conditions. Take the SD cards home and analyse the results in depth.

Sell some least used Canon gear & pick up a Fuji of some description & see how you get on with it. I sold some Canon lenses & bought an A7 back in March 2015. I sold my 5D2 & 135L a few months ago as they'd not been out of the house in over a 12 month :) I just hung on because I didn't want to loose that FF/135L 'look' JUST IN CASE I needed it...... Me >>> Idiot :)

I then went on to mainly shoot A7 with manual lenses & my recent desire for 35mm & 85mm autofocus lenses has pushed me to try the Fuji equivalents - I've bought that lot used [with my 5D2/135L money] & I'm going to see how I get on with it........ I know for a fact that this time IF I stick with Fuji, the Sony/manual lenses won't be hanging around like the Canon stuff was.....

I'm going to give myself a few months to decide.

It might be fine for events - heck it might be great, but my experience with the X-T1 is that it wasn't 100% reliable. The X-T2 is no doubt a big leap forward and the only reason I said this is that no one knows completely at this stage if the AF tracking is good enough that you could use it without fear for something like a wedding. I don't believe the OP needs it for this anyway so the X-T2 should be absolutely fine.

Im unsure of why the X-T2 is unsuitable for events, im really struggling with this.

Fuji do seem to have the love and I can see the attraction of the manual dials but in use I'm sure I prefer changing the settings with my right thumb and index finger with my eye to the VF and I think that the more modern way of doing it with the front/back dials is better. And then there's the mushy file issues ad the high ISO noise suppression to deal or live with and the bulk and weight which for me makes it a piggy in the middles system between the more compact MFT and the about the same bulk wise (if you're a 28 to 50-ish mm range compact prime guy like me) FF Sony A7 system.

I've taken a long hard look at the Fuji's a few times now and I'm attracted to the manual dials but these things are for taking pictures with not admiring on the mantle piece and I can't see Fuji replacing either MFT or my A7 for me. I think that the A6xxx system makes a lot of sense but is lacking some lenses like a f2.8 zoom set but for a prime shooter (like me) I think that it's attractive and if going down the APS-C CSC route I think I'd go for an A6xxx over the Fuji for the more conventional and better in use (IMO) ways you change the settings and a more compact body and lens combination. Actually all this is academic for me and if sticking with one thing it'd be my A7 which gives very good quality in a compact body and lens package. I'll proabably keep looking at the Fuji's though :D

Last edited:
How about you do nothing for now? It is not like 5D mkIV will change your fortunes overnight, and it will one day get cheaper and cheaper. So wait for now. mkIII is excellent piece of kit already and the biggest difference is on the guy behind the camera now.

I find your suggestion that mirrored are EOL plain laughable. There is and there will always be market for true clear viewfinders, while at the same time tiny mirrorless bodies are not exactly comfortable for handling and pro use. ---> and hence they are getting bigger. At the same time mirrored bodies will keep receiving all the new goodies as well. Unless you want to fly an expensive drone there are actually few reasons to change at a huge expense, and more reasons not to.

OK, so thanks all again for this feedback - it's been quite helpful. As I've sold least used stuff, and stuff I plan to upgrade, I've actually left myself in a reasonable place to be. I think my decision is...drum roll.....

A bit of Fuji, and a bit of do nothing.....while ring fencing the money I had for FF upgrades, and retaining the FF gear that would be retained if I stayed with the FF Canon set up.

So I'll buy a Fuji XT-2 and 18-55 for now, and see if I feel the love that everyone else seems to feel for the system.

I'll continue selling the Canon gear, including my 5D3. However, I'll keep my 70-200mm 2.8 L II IS and misc accessories (flash, 2x convertors etc). This isn't going to drop in value overnight anyway.
My plan was always to buy the 16-35L F4 IS and update my 24-70 with the Mk II around now. I won't do that for now.

The FF pot of money from sales of kit will remain untouched. Then should the Fuji not be the all-rounder I hope it will be, or should I think I'd be better served with FF AND the XT-2 after a period, then 5D4 prices will soften, and I can upgrade to FF again with a 5D4 and the lenses above. If I love the Fuji system, the residual items including 70-200 II can then be sold. So I have a route back to FF with a 5D4 if needs be.

The XT-2 was almost inevitable in any case, given I want portability for travel. It was only when I started looking more closely at it, that I realised it might serve rather more needs than that single use case. The only doubt in my mind now, is whether or not I can live without FF, but I have a direct route back from that should that turn out to be the case. The only questionable decision is should I sell the 5D3 now, and do I need a 5D4. That's a decision driven from the heart, rather than from need, so if I come back to the FF route, that upgrade would eventually be inevitable. By selling the 5D3 now, I've crystallised my depreciation a little earlier and would probably save a small amount of money doing so, given the 5D4 will almost certainly drop in price with time.

You've been brilliant. Thank you :)

Simon

I'm sure it would be perfectly fine at events. George on the x-t1/x-t2 thread has shot formula one with an x-t2.

I have indeed and will be using one for a while later today at the F1 in Austin TX. (y):)

George.

I have indeed and will be using one for a while later today at the F1 in Austin TX. (y):)

George.
I hope your pics are better than the race was :p

The race was awesome?!
Must've watched a difference race to me then ;) Result was good (except Rosberg finishing 2nd), as was the Alonso/Massa battle, other than that it wasn't the best imo.

Must've watched a difference race to me then ;) Result was good (except Rosberg finishing 2nd), as was the Alonso/Massa battle, other than that it wasn't the best imo.

Thought there were some good overtakes and action throughout, mind you I did only see the c4 highlights rather than the whole unedited race.

Thought there were some good overtakes and action throughout, mind you I did only see the c4 highlights rather than the whole unedited race.
I sat through it all, maybe I should just watch the highlights in future ;)

Back