eneloop AA batteries...

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know of anywhere online doing AA rechargable eneloops for a half decent price?

Used to be crazy cheap at seven day shop and other places... now seem fairly average price...

Approx 80% of use in kids toys, 20% in flash units, so need more than 850mAh, but 2450 mAh is not essential!

Ta.

Had a look at what I thought were the usual suspects...

I've just ordered some Eneloop AAA from Amazon as I don't want to pay through the nose either, reasonable price. Bought 7dyshop's own good to go and am not impressed.

Try Flubit for a discount on Amazon's price.

Have a look at Imedion batteries too (see That Nikon Guy's recent video on batteries).

I just saw eneloops in Costco , didn't notice the price though, not much use if you haven't got a membership though

I just saw eneloops in Costco , didn't notice the price though, not much use if you haven't got a membership though

You can buy from Costco online if you are a non member, you just have to pay an extra 5% surcharge.

Incidentally though I couldn't see eneloops online

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot find eneloops online at costco.. ho hum

ok.. other than a smartarse answer of 650 mAh, whats the difference between 1800 and 2450mAh... Obviously the latter will recharge a flash quicker, but if spending a lot of their time in kids toys...

ok.. other than a smartarse answer of 650 mAh, whats the difference between 1800 and 2450mAh... Obviously the latter will recharge a flash quicker, but if spending a lot of their time in kids toys...

Simply they will last longer between charges

7dayshop.com and while you're there consider their own brand, I've been using them for several years (2500/2900mah) and they great :)

Do you need a separate charger for 7 Days own brand or could I use the one I am currently using to recharge my Energizer AA 2450 mAh batteries?

Lynton, have a look at Vapextech on ebay or amazon. I've not used eneloops before, but I highly recommend the Vapextech 2900mah AA batteries. They normally last us almost a whole wedding with heavy flash use.

I'm lucky in that the Nitecore charger I have for my e-cig batteries also charges AA size too, charges up my eneloops and my cheap Tesco ones. Though I think they're on their last legs so I'm also looking to get another 4 set for one of my flashes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Ca...77350128&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+eneloop+charger

They seem good value if you have a charger already. 2900mah - my Tesco ones, which were more expensive, are only 2000mah and on a full charge they last pretty good.

Last edited:
I'm lucky in that the Nitecore charger I have for my e-cig batteries also charges AA size too, charges up my eneloops and my cheap Tesco ones. Though I think they're on their last legs so I'm also looking to get another 4 set for one of my flashes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Capacity-Performance-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B003DUAEKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377350128&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+eneloop+charger

They seem good value if you have a charger already. 2900mah - my Tesco ones, which were more expensive, are only 2000mah and on a full charge they last pretty good.

I use these for my flashguns. Not sure they are really 2900 but cycling is quick and they hold charge for a decent toime. Good value and mine seem to benefit from using an intelligent charger!

I have 24 of them and am v happy.

Great value for money even compaed to the eneloops.

Steve

Hijacking this thread a little, but I've recently found my Duracell 2450mah's are losing their charge much too quickly in a 430EXII. I think its my Duracell Fast Charger thats killed them as I've left them charging for too long on more than one occasion.

Any decent charger suggestions that won't kill batteries?

Hijacking this thread a little, but I've recently found my Duracell 2450mah's are losing their charge much too quickly in a 430EXII. I think its my Duracell Fast Charger thats killed them as I've left them charging for too long on more than one occasion.

Maha smart charger, available on Amazon is really good. Its around £40 when I bought mine. It can refresh old batteries by charge and drain cycles. Also check out the vapextech smart charger on ebay for £17, very similar to the Maha charger but it doesnt have the refresh feature.

I got a smart charger which is unbranded off a friend a few years back. The main difference is many chargers that are "fast" 1 hour or continuous types just kick the poo out of NiMh batteries. The one I have is not fast but is steady. It has overcharging/overheating protection
too.

Maplins had a couple the last time I was in there (some time back). I would stay far away from the cheap chargers that just pour on the power.

Finally all batteries die or start to reduce efficiency so they won't last forever even with a smart charger.

Good luck

Steve

Thanks for the replies. They're relatively new batteries (less than a year old) so I'd expect them to last longer than they have. I think leaving the fast charger running and killed them as you say.
I'm looking to get a new smart charger with batteries that I'll dedicate to the flash gun. I can then take the fast charger in my kit bag for emergency use on shoot.

I'll have a look at your suggestions.

Thanks for the replies. They're relatively new batteries (less than a year old) so I'd expect them to last longer than they have. I think leaving the fast charger running and killed them as you say.
I'm looking to get a new smart charger with batteries that I'll dedicate to the flash gun. I can then take the fast charger in my kit bag for emergency use on shoot.

The damaged batteries are worth cascading for other uses. Mine go in remotes etc

have bought a job lot of 1800mAh recharageables from something like recycleablebatteries.co.uk... will do the job for the kids toys... eneloops remain in camera bags!

The chargers i suggested all do 8 batteries at a time, so hopefully no need to bother with the fast charger anymore. Between my wife and I we have around 40 AA batteries and get them all charged for a wedding in half day with two chargers doing 8 in each one.

Take a look at Uniross Hybrio batteries also, same tech as Eneloop. Infact some are rebranded Eneloops!

Actually Linton, there is no significant difference in the time it will take to charge your flash. This is dependent on the battery's ability to maintain voltage into a load.

The 1800 is more likely to meet it's nominal charge and continue to do so. It is likely to last many more charge/discharge cycles and is less liable to premature failure. The 2450 will give you more flashes per charge while it meets it's nominal charge. It will also probably take longer to charge.

Back