Energy supply

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Thinking of moving my gas and electric to Avro Energy. Anyone currently with them?

Any issues, are they okay?

Thank you

I’ve also signed up to them a couple of weeks ago so interested in any comments. The reviews online look ok.

I moved to them a few weeks ago from Octopus. They haven't cocked anything up yet but there is still time. They were smacked by the regulator for being useless at least once and told not to have any more customers. I'm assuming that's been lifted.

In the process of moving to them, it's been a bit of a phaff, contacted them end of July, originally due to transfer over 20 August. No email arrives for opening readings so contact them, they tell me current supplier disputed transfer so I call them and they have no problem with transfer so it's back to Avro and they tell me it's all sorted and new transfer date will be 5th Sept, bit p***ed as now on standard rate with current supplier, so wait for email for opening readings on the 5th no email so call them to get a recorded message customer services closed for the day for staff training. So contact them through faceache after much typing back and forth get a call, they tell me current supplier disputed transfer so I call them and they have no problem with transfer but suggest the problem might be the MPRN, MPAN number so I get these numbers and phone back Avro and ask what numbers they have been using for the switch, now I could get it if the numbers were close just human input error but when the correct number were 180********** and112******* and the ones they were using were 958********** and 389******* well. So anyway after a short discussion my new date is now the 20th of Sept 1 month after the original one, fingers crossed, they can surely only get better but at least now I have a direct contact.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am hoping this may a one off. Not decided yet to move to them. The reason for choosing them is they do not push you to get a smart meter.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am hoping this may a one off. Not decided yet to move to them. The reason for choosing them is they do not push you to get a smart meter.
Thats one of the main reasons I switched as well

I moved to Tonik.
Seem good. Move was smooth and all details available online.
I for one Want a smart meter, but they don't seem to have availability, not are pushing it

Also offering £50 referral if someone joins via a code I have been given (I get the same as well).
If anyone wants one, send me a message.

I moved to Tonik.
Seem good. Move was smooth and all details available online.
I for one Want a smart meter, but they don't seem to have availability, not are pushing it

Also offering £50 referral if someone joins via a code I have been given (I get the same as well).
If anyone wants one, send me a message.
Thanks, did check them too but at the mo Avro are shown the most saving.

I went, via Uswitch, to EDF from EON and they genuinely were £300 / year cheaper than EON.
and still way cheaper than anyone else.
It seems that they "over estimated" ( even though I supplied accurate usage figures on the switch over) my payments.
And following my yearly review my monthly payments (Dual fuel) are set to drop a fiver.
That means I'm paying less than I was 3 years ago.
I guess I'm staying, for a further year.

I went, via Uswitch, to EDF from EON and they genuinely were £300 / year cheaper than EON.
and still way cheaper than anyone else.
It seems that they "over estimated" ( even though I supplied accurate usage figures on the switch over) my payments.
And following my yearly review my monthly payments (Dual fuel) are set to drop a fiver.
That means I'm paying less than I was 3 years ago.
I guess I'm staying, for a further year.
Thank you, I should have switched some time ago but as I do not want a smart meter until they get their issues resolved am looking for one that does not push to have them.

EDF is shown on the list as saving over 300 pa but you have to have a smart meter within 3 months.

Octopus didn't push for me to have a smart meter. I was with them quite a while and never had a peep out of them about it. Only get the odd circular about smart meter installers in your area which requires action so they've been ignored and nothing has happened.

Thank you, I should have switched some time ago but as I do not want a smart meter until they get their issues resolved am looking for one that does not push to have them.

EDF is shown on the list as saving over 300 pa but you have to have a smart meter within 3 months.
Not true,, I've been with them a almost a year ( 11 months in fact) and they phoned me once offering me one.
I refused on the grounds that they are unreliable, but would concider it once they were "tried and tested" "OK" was the answer. I heard no more about it.

I'm sure its in the small print, that they are the only one that doesn't force a smart meter on you.

None of them can force a smart meter on you. They're voluntary.
Agreed, but they also say that if you don't you will be put on the "higher tariff"
More scare tactics. And another pet hate, like having to "opt out" of stuff :(

From ofgem
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/...y-meters-ofgem/smart-meters-guide-your-rights
While we and the government think that all consumers will benefit from smart meters, they aren’t compulsory and you can choose not to have one.
Choosing not to have a smart meter may mean you don’t have access to all the available tariffs on the market, some of which could be cheaper.
If you don’t want to have a smart meter now, you will still be able to have one installed for free at a later date.

Agreed, but they also say that if you don't you will be put on the "higher tariff"
Yes, this is what worries me. At the moment going direct with Avro is the best saving PA.

Yes, this is what worries me. At the moment going direct with Avro is the best saving PA.
Fair enough. (y)
TBH this subject comes up from time to time, and it seems there are a lot of variables even within a specific company.
When comparing house sizes / occupancy etc. What company works out cheaper for one household, doesn't always work out cheaper for another, even though the details seem identical . :thinking:

I don’t have (and won’t have) a smart meter. If a company told me they would therefore change my tariff, I would tell them I will therefore change my supplier.

If a company told me they would therefore change my tariff, I would tell them I will therefore change my supplier.
But that's the point, as above they all say it, apart from EON and it seems Octopus too,
As above they can't legally enforce it. But is anyone rich enough to make a legal challenge out of it?

But that's the point, as above they all say it, apart from EON and it seems Octopus too,
As above they can't legally enforce it. But is anyone rich enough to make a legal challenge out of it?

Bulb doesn't either

I'm with SOEnergy - and now on my second year with them. So far all has gone well. I pay a set sum each month and this seems to work out OK - I'm in credit at present for just over 1month's payment so this will vanish slowly over the winter high cost months.

I do not want a Smart Meter and have not as yet been asked about it - BUT since I do have night storage heaters this may account for it :)

We moved to bulb around 18 months ago. They were the cheapest option at the time and the renewable energy thing was a big selling point for me.

We are having smart meters installed this week, but we elected to do that, we certainly weren't forced. They only have the one tariff too so nice and simple.

If anyone wants a £50 discount code let me know. :)

Just to update the thread re Avro, have now moved to them and it worked as they had said.

Now just need to see if the monthly payment go up during the year..[emoji16]

@tarric Just read your sad tale, I hope all is niw sorted to your satisfaction. Even if so, I suspect you have a good case for a complaint to OfGEM for all that because the process of changing is so automated that there is no excuse for that sort of hassle.

Back