Beginner Enlarger - 35mm to 6x6

Name
Felix
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I am currently on the lookout for a colour enlarger for enlarging negatives up to 6x6 in size. I do occasionally shoot on my Agfa Speedex Record, which creates a 6x9 negative, but as far as I can tell negative carriers of this size are few and far between. I am working on a budget of preferably sub- £150 (including the lens). I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on A) the model of enlarger and B) the length/model of lens that I should look for (I understand that a 50mm lens won’t stretch to enlarging medium format negatives, but am unclear on the length that might).
Thanks in advance,
Felix

Its not 6x9 carriers that are tricky to source as such, its enlargers capable of enlarging 6x9, they do exist but you're right they're a bit thin on the ground.
I would imagine your most available enlargers for what you want to do are LPL and Durst, both pretty decent and parts/accessories are not too difficult to source.
You are going to need a 75/80 enlarger lens for 6x6...:)

There are a few LPL 67/77's on you know where, that look like you might get under budget, especially if you can collect.
Just make sure they are complete and with the carriers you require, bargain enlargers can often turn in to expensive enlargers if you have to find carriers/inserts/transformers or whatever.

Depending on where you are, it can be worthwhile searching on Gumtree for local pickup, as you can often get some extras that wouldn't be worth posting..

Its not 6x9 carriers that are tricky to source as such, its enlargers capable of enlarging 6x9, they do exist but you're right they're a bit thin on the ground.
I would imagine your most available enlargers for what you want to do are LPL and Durst, both pretty decent and parts/accessories are not too difficult to source.
You are going to need a 75/80 enlarger lens for 6x6...:)

Thanks,
How greatly does the speed of the enlarging lens affect the enlarging process?

You'll probably stop it down - well, you should, anyway - so to that extent the exposure times won't vary. What you will find is the image gets dimmer, and more difficult to focus. If you're going to be dodging and burning in, a longer exposure time (assuming your safelight is safe) is better anyway.

That said, I'd hazard a guess that the better enlarging lenses will be faster.

P.S. What part of the country are you in? (Or even which country? :))

Last edited:
You'll probably stop it down - well, you should, anyway - so to that extent the exposure times won't vary. What you will find is the image gets dimmer, and more difficult to focus. If you're going to be dodging and burning in, a longer exposure time (assuming your safelight is safe) is better anyway.

That said, I'd hazard a guess that the better enlarging lenses will be faster.

P.S. What part of the country are you in? (Or even which country? :))

Okay, thanks for the info. I’m based in North London.

I very strongly suspect that this won't suit you, but I have a Philips PCS colour enlarger surplus to requirements. The enlarger will, I believe, go up to 6x7 but only with suitable condensor(s); as it sits (boxed) in my darkroom, it's 35mm only. I also suspect that converting it won't be easy, in terms of getting the parts. But you can have it if it's of use. I can't say off hand what carriers are with it, but again I suspect 35mm only.

Also, slightly closer to your needs, I think I have a spare 135mm lens I could let you have.

I very strongly suspect that this won't suit you, but I have a Philips PCS colour enlarger surplus to requirements. The enlarger will, I believe, go up to 6x7 but only with suitable condensor(s); as it sits (boxed) in my darkroom, it's 35mm only. I also suspect that converting it won't be easy, in terms of getting the parts. But you can have it if it's of use. I can't say off hand what carriers are with it, but again I suspect 35mm only.

Also, slightly closer to your needs, I think I have a spare 135mm lens I could let you have.

Oh wow! What make is the lens/How much would you charge for it? I’m currently negotiating over an LPL C7700, but if that ends up being a dud I might come back to you on your enlarger.

It's a Rodagon 135mm, intended for 5x4. Hence you'll need a longer column to enlarge small sizes as it won't magnify as much as a 50mm for 35mm.

If you'd like it, just PM me your address.

Back