Enlarger modification

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
For obtaining enlargements from smaller film formats, I presently own a Philips enlarger.

As many of you know, my photography now is exclusively LF and as such I have been using the Intrepid 5x4 enlarger kit mounted on a tripod with a considerable amount of success.

As Intrepid themselves state, the use of a copy stand is preferable and easier than a tripod but having searched several times, new copy stands ( with sufficient payload) cost a small fortune and those that Ive found in used condition locally have had faults of some description.

So I decided to assess my present Philips enlarger to see if it could be adapted into a copy stand suitable for LF enlargements........The outcome looks very promising :)

The detachment of the enlarger head was surprisingly simple requiring only the removal of 6 small screws and one large bolt.
Immediatley it was clear that the adaptation may well be quite simple.

Firstly the removed head weighs nigh on 5kg so clearly the column, rise/fall mechanism and base board attachement will support the LF apparatus that I wish to use.

Secondly with the removal of the head, the remaining 'box' attached to the column has a perfectly flat surface allowing an ideal base to attach the LF outfit.

Some pics:

12.jpg

17.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

14.jpg

As can be seen, in theory the front plate of the "box" on the column could be attached directly to the base board of the camera then screwed up onto the "box" using a standard 3/8 bolt....Job sorted! ........Unfortunately not so simple:(

Much as the plate makes a perfectly large support for the cameras base board, when in place, it is impossible to access the small screw holes to re-attach the plate to the "box" on the column.

11.jpg

Last edited:
Now this is just an initial idea and I'm fairly confident that it will work, however these types of modifications are not really my forté so I'm open to advice and other ideas. Also to what potential problems may arise.

As for the retaining bolt,which a half inch length will be perfect to allow for washers, plate etc, I believe that the thread/pitch of a standard 3/8 tripod mount is 3/8-16 unc so do I need to search a bolt with the following specs?:

3/8 - 16 UNC x 1/2

Last edited:
H'mm looking at bolts on the net thought there might be a metric M10 bolt that might be similar and would fit but don't think one would...buying a 3/8-16 UNC bolt in metric France might be difficult :(

H'mm looking at bolts on the net thought there might be a metric M10 bolt that might be similar and would fit but don't think one would...buying a 3/8-16 UNC bolt in metric France might be difficult :(

If the reference that i mention in my last post is correct then I've found them in Germany. ;) even if they do want 12 euros to send a pack of 5 bolts!

Edit: No the metric equivalents wont work ....already tried!

Having received to mounting plate this morning along with a selection of bolts from the very kind @Canon Bob , the 10x8 mk1 intrepid is mounted with its reducing back and 5x4 intrepid enlarger kit.

A few minor adjustments to do including the relocating of the timer to somewhere more convenient,but otherwise it’s ready to go :) :)
9C544EEC-EF0E-4988-8E7B-C6516E9E8CA0.jpegF4E97439-D1B5-454D-826F-C1CBF4DF96DD.jpeg4C168A95-0BAE-4335-A04D-9E4F409A7762.jpeg

Just for future reference I have a new hobby of turning metal on a lathe; if anyone needs anything specifically made then drop me a PM and I can tell you whether I can make it for you.

If the parts are only small I can do it FOC as it gives me some fun anyway.

Back