Enough of the irksome ... What do we like?

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that we've all had a good old moan about our fellow photographers on the "What irks you ...." thread, much of which I have to agree with, I thought we could we redress the balance a bit and say what we actually like about our peers .... There must be something surely?

I'll start ...

- My fellow photographers share my passion for capturing the best possible images.
- They are generally happy to chat about their hobby and show off their efforts.
- They love that special combination of technology-meets-artistic-impression which is an essential marriage if the end results are to be any good.
- They spend their time capturing special and unique moments ... No two images are ever identical

Anyone else actually like anything .... ?

Im guessing that this thread will be quieter :D

Id say that there are a lot of photographers that have inspired me to be a better photographer.

Generally, I find that photographers are happy to natter. Not just about the hobby (or even job!) but putting the world to rights over a cuppa/pint/wotevva! Often willing to explain and/or demonstrate techniques and allow fellow photographers to play with their kit.

Good critique that doesn't get personal, people who will explain things in plain English and make it easy for others to grasp, helpful people.

And when a 'I bought this from Panamoz' thread DOESN'T get into a slagging match about duty and customs... Oh wait a mo, that hasn't happened yet :) :canon:

That's on a much lighter note Sara, Nice one :)

Having up until fairly recently (last September), been a bit of a 'lone wolf' with my photography, I met very few, if any amateur photography enthusiasts.

However, now having joined a club, that suits my needs very nicely, I have had the opportunity to meet other amateur photographers, and have to say that I am very much enjoying the experience.

The members vary both in age and experience, but all share a common interest.

There is no 'clique', nor equipment/experience snobbery, in fact a thoroughly nice bunch of people.

A willingness to both give and receive advice, discuss their particular subject of interest, and to listen to the interest of others.

If they produce an outstanding picture, then being very open about the technique and any processing they applied. None of the 'ah!, that's a trade secret' attitude.

From some of the comments in other 'threads' here, this clearly isn't a universal trend, but I am happy to say I am very much enjoying the company of those that I now meet on a regular basis.

Dave

Ahh, it's nice to see a positive post! :)

There are too many little things that I love about photography to list them all, I just bloody love it. I love that there are always new things to learn, I love the process of developing (as a photographer), I love how photography teaches you so much about yourself, I love losing myself for hours on end admiring the work of artists I really respect. I'm deeply fascinated by how cameras capture fractions of a second that will never happen again and yet these seemingly insignificant lengths of time can have such power and significance. I love how the fascination I have is growing the more I do rather than fading away.

On top of all that stuff, I love the fact I've met some amazing people through this little hobby and shared some wonderful times with them. :)

Photography really is pretty awesome! :)

Blimey.......things I love about photography

Its awesome
Its fantastically evocative. I love looking at something that elicits that response in me, and producing stuff that elicits thats response in others
There is always something to learn, and that can come from the least to the most experienced photographer

I used to work at a college and part of my job involved darkroom work and I often showed students how to print photographs. A couple of years ago I met one the students and she's still a keen, and very good photographer and she said it was all thanks to me. Really made my day to think that I made a difference to her life.

Im guessing that this thread will be quieter :D

Looks like you could be right. :)

I count 85 (give or take one or two) different members that listed the things they didn't like about other photographers, in the reciprocal thread to this one.

Here, so far only 10 members stating what they do like.

Does this mean that majority of photographers, amateur or pro, don't like each others company.

If so, what a friendly lot we are not. :(

Dave

Last edited:
Looks like you could be right. :)

I count 85 (give or take one two) different members that listed the things they didn't like about other photographers, in the reciprocal thread to this one.

Here, so far only 10 members stating what they do like.

Does this mean that majority of photographers, amateur or pro, don't like each others company.

If so, what a friendly lot we are not. :(

Dave
Sadly I do get the feeling some people thrive on negativity. :(

Yep, the other thread started as , What irks you about photographers, and it descended into what irked people about everything to do with photography. Selective colouring and HDR for example.

Unfortunately, people will always like to moan instead of being positive about something. Hjman nature I guess.

I like it when people give thoughtful critique that goes beyond the technical and discusses the image in terms of what it's communicating.. how it can be improved to work emotionally or intellectually.

I love how photographers are so willing to help/teach with little or no gain for themselves. I have learnt everything from the internet and not spent a penny on training. And I am very gratefull

Last edited:
I've found photographers to be a friendly bunch.

I like how those who are more experienced than you willing to help you out when you ask a question (with me it was more when I started out using film, people were mega helpful and still are, which saved me a lot of wasted film) .

I love finding an old camera at a boot sale or charity shop for £1, taking it out with a film and finding out it works - and in some cases is just as good as something I would pay £100s for.

Steve.

I Like...

the Fusty and Crusty bunch over in F&C... so much more civilised than the bearpit business section.

Reactions: PMN
Film.

Others that use film.

Those little shops that still sell it.

The F&C forum.

The sound of a proper shutter.

Aniseed balls.

Photographers that help others, without any personal agenda such as profit or self promotion. There are quite a few on TP.
Yes.
I'd also like to add to that: people who help out without feeling the need to show off. There are quite a few of those too.
Can't stand it when an obvious beginner asks a question and someone responds with loads of technical language and jargon without explaining it.

I like that photographers on TP are helpful, honest, and give constructive criticism to help you improve your photos or experiences in the world of photography. Regardless of the persons level of ability.

I like nothing about anybody. Having met that pair of clowns U8myufo and Fracster, my opinion has been soured and I have no great wish to meet any of the rest of you.:rolleyes: (except Trev, eh maybe:)).

I like all the helpful members of TP that take the time to help others learn and develop.

I like nothing about anybody. Having met that pair of clowns U8myufo and Fracster, my opinion has been soured and I have no great wish to meet any of the rest of you.:rolleyes: (except Trev, eh maybe:)).
It was pleasant meeting you as well Brian.

Met some good people whilst photographing wildlife, some are good friends still.

It was pleasant meeting you as well Brian.

Met some good people whilst photographing wildlife, some are good friends still.

Shutup, you're Billy no mates.

I like:

The willingness (well, sometimes....) of photographers to share information as to how and where they took their photographs.

Peoples amazing abilities to interpret the same scene an infinite number of different way, not just through the initial taking of the photo, but also through the making of it into a finished image afterwards in photoshop or the darkroom.

The patience, dedication and commitment of wildlife and landscape photographers who travel miles, wait for hours, to see something (an animal, bird, the right lights, etc) without any guarantee that they will even shoot a single frame.

The ability of people to see what they want in advance and go out and create it photographically.

..Id say that there are a lot of photographers that have inspired me to be a better photographer.

I find so many photographers work inspirational & could even say some work was what made me interested in photography in the first place.

I like the fact, that all the togs who I have met out in the wide World have been OK, and the folks on here have been helpful giving advice.

Anyone who has problems with other togs should try joining a tennis club - "irksome" doesn't even come close!

I like the camaraderie when you meet another landscape photographer in the middle of nowhere at some silly time of day.

:plus1: I've shared one or two cups of coffee in the middle of nowhere (usually Dartmoor) with other like minded souls, always good to know that there are others out there who don't think I'm completely stupid :)

What do I like? Capturing moments often for my friends and family that they will keep forever. Having the camera in my hands. :clap:Deciding which lenses to take with me. Putting my photos on the wall and seeing how long they last before I replace them. [My favourite - 75mile beach on Fraser Island - film - is the longest lasting - we tried taking it down but missed it too much!] Getting useful / helpful advice from the people on here who mostly don't seem to care if you are an amateur or a professional. Looking forward to the annual trip to Birmingham - now only two weeks away - :exit:- trying to decided whether to book a seat in the Freeman session on Saturday…. it's just brilliant! I loved working for my 'L' with the RPS - it was brilliant to get it at Focus last year. All I need now is for my shoulder to stop giving me grief.

I like a decent pint/bacon sarnie (depending on time) with other like minded photographers after a fun few hours shooting.

I like it when I'm sharing the pit with three or four folk and we all just get on, the unspoken* gestures of intent and nods of thanks that go to forge good friendships in future.

I appreciate the willingness to loan kit I'm interested in to see how I get on with it.

* Unspoken as to speak in front of a rock concert stage is an exercise in futility.

I like how other togs on here help each other (especially newbies) out with the loan/gift of old kit, film, books, dvds etc - I'm less keen when the person helped turns round and takes the p*** by not returning items or generally being an ingrate. That has only happened once out of maybe 15 times though so its not going to put me off

Back