Enticing birds into a garden

Went to replenish the bird feeders just now, they are all frozen, can't get the tops off. I've brought them indoors to warm up a bit. Thankfully some of the fat ball feeders still have some balls in them and I was able to put out some fat from some beef we had. It's really tough on the poor little blighters!

My plan ist starting to come together. Put outba natural perch today so the birds can start getting used to it.

20190303_142816-1862x1397.jpg20190303_142845-1862x1397.jpg

Just need to source some detachable hinges for the shed window as the ooening is limited by the roof overhang and also get some screen material and then i can stary snapping. :)

I find birds like to land above the height of the feeders then have a quick check around before dropping lower to actually feed. So for them to feel secure it could be better if you lifted the photography perch a little, it doesn't have to be right next to the feeder so you could have more scope for positioning conveniently to your camera hide.

I agree with Andy.

If you want 'screen material', military camouflage netting is good as it looks like leaves when moved by the breeze and has holes. Tank camo is the most suitable but is more difficult to source.

I find birds like to land above the height of the feeders then have a quick check around before dropping lower to actually feed. So for them to feel secure it could be better if you lifted the photography perch a little, it doesn't have to be right next to the feeder so you could have more scope for positioning conveniently to your camera hide.
Thank you for the advice, I will play with different positioning and see what works.

I agree with Andy.

If you want 'screen material', military camouflage netting is good as it looks like leaves when moved by the breeze and has holes. Tank camo is the most suitable but is more difficult to source.
Good call, in fact I think I have an old camo net left over from my airsoft days.

Dave have a dig for a guy called Allen (I think) Murphy (sp ??) his use of home made bkg's might inspire ideas. Ha, his garden images will !!!! :)
cheers
stu

Nearly 2 years on from when I first started this thread it is finally time for an update.

Over the last year since my last post I have continued to keep the feeders full and encouraging the growth of the surrounding plant life to develop some cover and backdrop. It seems to have paid off, we have regular visitors such as a mating pair of blackbirds, a few blue tits, starlings (which are nesting in my loft) and the occasional robin and gold finch. Oh, and not to forget the pigeons, so many pigeons!

Though I have not had time to do anything about photographing anything as have just been too busy.

But thanks to the Covid-19 lock down forcing me to stay home it has given me a little more free time. Also this week the theme at playschool for my daughter is meant to be birds, so that's all the justification I needed to crack on.

So I have finished off the alterations to the shed. The window is now removable and a camouflage net is hung with a small opening that allows me to poke a lens through, Though I could still do with improving the camera support.
The apple tree is filling out and is now full of blossom and the rose bush is also growing nicely.

The stream behind the fence had become completely overgrown which gave good cover for the birds but was starting to encroach into my garden and you could no longer see the stream. I have cleared a lot of it so that the stream is visible again, there are still fish in it so maybe one day the kingfishers will return. But I left it towards the shed end to not take cover away from where the birds need it, it doesn't appear to have had any negative impact.

These are current photos of how it is all looking.

20200419_165125_HDR (Medium).jpg20200419_193107_HDR (Medium).jpg20200419_193138_HDR (Medium).jpg20200419_193152_HDR (Medium).jpg20200419_193252 (Medium).jpg20200419_193304 (Medium).jpg

The best time of day to get out is around 9:00am, the birds arive earlier but this is the time that the sun rises high enough that the perch is no longer in the shadow cast by my house.

Below are the first images from this morning.

Image-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

Thanks for the update, looking good potential 'growth' in numbers :)

PS do you know who owns the land across the stream? If so I wonder if you could get permission to put up some nesting boxes nearby over there?

Thanks for the update, looking good potential 'growth' in numbers :)

PS do you know who owns the land across the stream? If so I wonder if you could get permission to put up some nesting boxes nearby over there?
Thanks. :)

Yeah I do know who the owner is, but he is a bit of a miserable old sod so I don't think it would be worth my effort. I had thought about banging some posts in the ground on the far side of the stream a little further down and sticking nesting boxes on them, but our immediate neighbours have cats so I might end up just providing them a free lunch, might be best to leave them nesting wherever they are for now. We have at least 2 pairs of bluetits that visit daily, though it has been quite windy today only the blackbirds and pigeons have been out.

There is a woodpecker I occasionally see around 20m further back in the field, would be nice to do something to draw him in.

Good update, Dave. Seems to becoming on very well and a well set up perch for photography.

Dave

Good update, Dave. Seems to becoming on very well and a well set up perch for photography.

Dave
Thank you. Fingers crossed, just need to take what opportunities I can while the kids are occupied indoors.

Which species of wood pecker is it that you see near by? Greens are hard to tempt but great spotted love peanuts.
It was a spotted, I need to get some more peanuts as those in my feeder had sat there all year untouched and gone manky. The lockdown is making feeding the birds much more expensive, only place I can get to is tesco which only sell very small packs and are quite pricey.

@bass_junkie83

Dave

I have used both these places for bulk buying................depending on what I need(ed).

https://www.arkwildlife.co.uk/

https://www.kennedywildbirdfood.co.uk/

Somewhere for both (one of them???) I have a referal code (I think?) but I would have to dig to find it/them.

But I can happily recommend both in regard to pre-Covid19 service & products.
Cheers, I shall look into those.

Awesome effort, well done. (y)
Thank you. Your garden hide thread was my inspiration to try this, only hope I can get some results half as good!

Cheers, I shall look into those.

Thank you. Your garden hide thread was my inspiration to try this, only hope I can get some results half as good!

Thanks. It's a constant learning curve, forever changing, that's why Iove it. I've still not achieved what I want at my hide but will keep trying.

Finally taking note of some of the advice earlier in this thread I made some minor changes tot he setup yesterday. I have raised the perch as high as I can without shooting up the nose of whatever comes to sit on it and lowered the sunflower heart feeder as much as I can, since doing this I have started seeing the bluetits occasionally using the perch before jumping to the feeder, but not managed to catch them yet!

Also, the clamps that I was using to support the perch have broken, I have a plan for a more robust replacement but am awaiting the arrival of some parts. As a temporary fix a wood working corner clamp is doing the trick.

Image-003.jpg

I didn't manage to get out untill around 4:00 in the afternoon yesterday so everything is back lit, but still quite happy with these ones.

Image-003 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-004 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-005 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-006 by David Walker, on Flickr

And some photogenic vermin.

Image-007 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-009 by David Walker, on Flickr

Some more good shots there.

However, the squirrel is of concern. The shot is excellent and shows it well in the environment, but the little blighter is very lightly to destroy your feeders.

We have to put our feeders in cages to stop the squirrels, or use feeders where the weight of the squirrel closes the port so they can't feed.

Dave

Some more good shots there.

However, the squirrel is of concern. The shot is excellent and shows it well in the environment, but the little blighter is very lightly to destroy your feeders.

We have to put our feeders in cages to stop the squirrels, or use feeders where the weight of the squirrel closes the port so they can't feed.

Dave
Thank you.

I tried all sorts to keep the squirrels away at first but they keep outwitting me. This is one of two that visit a couple of times a day, and have done for the last year or so. They have done a little damage to the feeder to get the seeds out, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and the birds still use it. If they totally destroy it I will look at some squirrel proof feeders.

After being somewhat brash about the squirrels not destroying the feeders, they have now destroyed my sunflower seed feeder. Now there is an example of not being overly cocky if ever you needed one.

So I need to replace it with something squirrel proof which in itself is pretty straight forward, but while I am at it I would like to move to pole mounted feeders rather than hanging feeders. Reason being is that I have found that smaller birds particularly use the hangers directly above the feeders before jumping down to feed and rarely use the photogenic perches that I have so kindly arranged for them. SO I am thinking pole mounted feeders will force them to sit where I want them.

Can anyone recommend squirrel proof pole mounted feeders? I need a seed feeder and a peanut feeder.
I could do with recommendations as being pole mountable is often a feature that isn't mentioned in product descriptions online and getting to a decent garden centre right now is pretty tricky.

After being somewhat brash about the squirrels not destroying the feeders, they have now destroyed my sunflower seed feeder. Now there is an example of not being overly cocky if ever you needed one.

So I need to replace it with something squirrel proof which in itself is pretty straight forward, but while I am at it I would like to move to pole mounted feeders rather than hanging feeders. Reason being is that I have found that smaller birds particularly use the hangers directly above the feeders before jumping down to feed and rarely use the photogenic perches that I have so kindly arranged for them. SO I am thinking pole mounted feeders will force them to sit where I want them.

Can anyone recommend squirrel proof pole mounted feeders? I need a seed feeder and a peanut feeder.
I could do with recommendations as being pole mountable is often a feature that isn't mentioned in product descriptions online and getting to a decent garden centre right now is pretty tricky.
Probably not a problem for you but I have had a rat climbing up feeder mounted on a smooth pole — in daylight. I solved with some oil on the upper part -- quite amusing seeing it get so far and slide down :(.

Probably not a problem for you but I have had a rat climbing up feeder mounted on a smooth pole — in daylight. I solved with some oil on the upper part -- quite amusing seeing it get so far and slide down :(.

We had the same problem at our old house, my dad gave me some grease for the pole... Worked a treat till they started climbing the privet and jumping onto the feeder! HAHA

We used to have a rat visiting regularly, but not seen him for months. I think he probably got too fat and couldn't outrun the owls.

We had the same problem at our old house, my dad gave me some grease for the pole... Worked a treat till they started climbing the privet and jumping onto the feeder! HAHA
I think they would build ladders if you gave them in tools & materials :)

Not cocky at all, Dave.

It is quite a revelation just how destructive squirrels can be. We have stopped using the metal mesh feeders for peanuts because the squirrels eventually 'bit' through the metal.

The pole mounted sunflower heart feeder we use is not identical to this one - https://www.birdfood.co.uk/adventurer-4-port-seed-feeder-with-guardian - but it is pretty close.

You might also need one of these to mount it on the pole - https://www.birdfood.co.uk/plastic-pole-plug

Even using a cage around the feeder does not protect the top of the feeder and I have to wire the top down to stop the squirrels pulling it open.

Unfortunately feeders with cages are not very photogenic.

Dave

Still waiting for new feeders to arrive, but have mended the current ones for the time being.

In the mean time, I have made what I have will be a couple of improvements.

First job was to fix the broken clamp. I took the clamps of each end of the broken articulated arm and ordered some stainless steel 3/8" threaded rod and nuts from ebay.

20200501_115415_HDR (Medium).jpg

Cutting the rod to length and using two nuts on each side to form a locking nut allows me to adjust the angle between the two clamps so now I can set my perches at something other than perfectly horizontal. I could do this with the same clamps before the arm broke, but this arrangement should be simpler and more robust and wont be destroyed by being left out int he elements.

20200501_120510 (Medium).jpg

And here it is in use.

20200503_172157_HDR (Medium).jpg

Next up was to come up with a better support for my camera. I was using my tripod with a small ball head, but there were two niggling issues with this. The tripod was too big with the legs splayed out to properly fit on the bench so was always a little precarious. And the ball head meant I had to keep a constant hold of the camera so it didn't drop, or keep using the lock function every time i thought a bird may be coming into shot.

So I have bodged together a new support using an el'cheapo gimbal head, some 4" fence post, a bit of steel plate and some of the left over 3/8" stud.

20200630_143118_HDR (Medium).jpg20200630_143121_HDR (Medium).jpg20200630_144801_HDR (Medium).jpg20200630_144808_HDR (Medium).jpg20200630_144820_HDR (Medium).jpg

Seems to do the job fairly well. Would be perfect with a decent gimbal head, but I am not ready to be dropping a couple of £££ on something that will get limited use. The downside of the cheap ones is that there are no bearings in the pivots so the friction in the pivots stops the camera returning to its balance position. But it is an improvement on the ball head I was using before.

Not had a chance to use it in anger yet, the foreground foliage has all gone a bit mental and needs a good prune!

Just got a few feeders out on some large apple tree cuttings ... was very quiet for a while but more recently has been quite busy.
I have a family of 6 Magpies that love the mealworms and fatballs and a few young Starlings that love the mealworms. The Sparrows seem to be on another brood now as they too are taking from the mealworm feeder and the seed feeder ... a couple of Dunnocks feed from the bits that are dropped down, as do the Pigeons. The pigeons also like to stick their heads down a wire peanut feeder (no top) to nick the peanuts, it's quite fun watching them stretch their necks to get down to the last they can reach!

Mr Belligerent
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile House Sparrow
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Dunnock
by Roger, on Flickr

The Thieving Magpie
by Roger, on Flickr

Still waiting for new feeders to arrive, but have mended the current ones for the time being.

In the mean time, I have made what I have will be a couple of improvements.

First job was to fix the broken clamp. I took the clamps of each end of the broken articulated arm and ordered some stainless steel 3/8" threaded rod and nuts from ebay.

View attachment 284799

Cutting the rod to length and using two nuts on each side to form a locking nut allows me to adjust the angle between the two clamps so now I can set my perches at something other than perfectly horizontal. I could do this with the same clamps before the arm broke, but this arrangement should be simpler and more robust and wont be destroyed by being left out int he elements.

View attachment 284800

And here it is in use.

View attachment 284801

Next up was to come up with a better support for my camera. I was using my tripod with a small ball head, but there were two niggling issues with this. The tripod was too big with the legs splayed out to properly fit on the bench so was always a little precarious. And the ball head meant I had to keep a constant hold of the camera so it didn't drop, or keep using the lock function every time i thought a bird may be coming into shot.

So I have bodged together a new support using an el'cheapo gimbal head, some 4" fence post, a bit of steel plate and some of the left over 3/8" stud.

View attachment 284802View attachment 284803View attachment 284804View attachment 284805View attachment 284806

Seems to do the job fairly well. Would be perfect with a decent gimbal head, but I am not ready to be dropping a couple of £££ on something that will get limited use. The downside of the cheap ones is that there are no bearings in the pivots so the friction in the pivots stops the camera returning to its balance position. But it is an improvement on the ball head I was using before.

Not had a chance to use it in anger yet, the foreground foliage has all gone a bit mental and needs a good prune!

Now that is the sort of clamp I need to get my hands on ;)

PS I have saved so many bit of wood to provide 'naturalistic perches', what I lack is the clamping materials to assemble something of interest :(

Now that is the sort of clamp I need to get my hands on ;)

PS I have saved so many bit of wood to provide 'naturalistic perches', what I lack is the clamping materials to assemble something of interest :(
These are the clamps I have.

I wouldn't bother with the magic arm, they are made of cheese and will be dead in a year, and until then will need readjusting every time a pigeon lands on your perch.

The new feeders arrived so I have removed the top section of the old feeding station, leaving the main pole to continue supporting my perches and placed the new feeders further to the right to keep them a bit further out of shot.

Thankfully this has all worked out as intended, which is unusual, and the number of birds using the target perch have increased massively.

20200704_151044_HDR_copy_1164x873[1].jpg

And this is the result of a quick 20 minute stint this morning.

A fledgling bluetit I believe.
07.07.20-005 by David Walker, on Flickr

07.07.20-004 by David Walker, on Flickr

07.07.20-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

And also using the apple tree, which is nice,
07.07.20-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

And I think a fledgling starling? Quite possibly one of the ones that hatched in my loft and has been crapping over everything up there!
07.07.20-008 by David Walker, on Flickr

07.07.20-006 by David Walker, on Flickr

I'm finding the Squab Pigeons have started to hog my feeders, just sit there occasionally snacking until I shoo them off!

I'm finding the Squab Pigeons have started to hog my feeders, just sit there occasionally snacking until I shoo them off!
I get a lot of wood pigeons here which used to gorge on the sunflower hearts, but they will have a hard time getting through to them now!

Isn't it just what a talent hey mate. also what an inspiration. the art of taking a garden image to an unreal level....

Long time no update.

My shed came to the end of its life and needed replacing so I used this opportunity to try and improve my set-up. Instead of shooting at an awkward angle through the side window (which on the new shed don't open anyway) I have cut a hole in the rear panel giving me clearer view to where the action is. I have also added a reflection pool for something different.

20210306_165412_HDR.jpg

20210306_165225.jpg

20210322_140320.jpg

20210310_102543.jpg

Here are some of my first few visitors that I have been able to capture, though nothing to exciting.

20210427008 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210427011 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210427006 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210427015 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-006-2 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-007-2 by David Walker, on Flickr

A few things that I have to address. The new camera position being much closer to the perches than before (about 1.5m) it is much easier to spook the birds so right now I am actually getting a lot less action than I was before. I am using some scrim net to close off the hatch but it makes a crinkly noise when I move the camera to compose. I am thinking to change this to a black cloth, maybe speaker grill cloth for its stetchyness. This should make camera movement silent and being black may hide the protruding lens a bit better.

And for the reflection pool I need to find a smaller diameter mossy log, or maybe split the one I have to put the top of it closer to the water line and bring the reflection of the birds closer to to the bird itself.

Long time no update.

My shed came to the end of its life and needed replacing so I used this opportunity to try and improve my set-up. Instead of shooting at an awkward angle through the side window (which on the new shed don't open anyway) I have cut a hole in the rear panel giving me clearer view to where the action is. I have also added a reflection pool for something different.

View attachment 316841

View attachment 316840

View attachment 316843

View attachment 316842

Here are some of my first few visitors that I have been able to capture, though nothing to exciting.

20210427008 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210427011 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210427006 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210427015 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-006-2 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-007-2 by David Walker, on Flickr

A few things that I have to address. The new camera position being much closer to the perches than before (about 1.5m) it is much easier to spook the birds so right now I am actually getting a lot less action than I was before. I am using some scrim net to close off the hatch but it makes a crinkly noise when I move the camera to compose. I am thinking to change this to a black cloth, maybe speaker grill cloth for its stetchyness. This should make camera movement silent and being black may hide the protruding lens a bit better.

And for the reflection pool I need to find a smaller diameter mossy log, or maybe split the one I have to put the top of it closer to the water line and bring the reflection of the birds closer to to the bird itself.
Get a cloth scrim net and it will be silent....

Last edited:
Get a cloth scrim net and it will be silent....
Thanks. I was thinking of this but I thought as my camera is set up very close to the various perches (~1.5m) I thought that the black of the lens against a green background would still spook the birds when I recompose. Maybe a very dark material would be OK.

In the mean time, I went ahead with the speaker cloth idea and it seems to be working pretty well. Being close I can see through the cloth to see what is going on while from the outside it just appears as a black screen.
20210617_094618.jpg

Just been out to have a look and with all this rain the stream is about 1.5 feet deeper than normal, if it carries on I might get washed away. :D
20210617_094350.jpg

Back