Entry level camera

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I’m looking to get into landscape photography, mainly countryside scenes but also seascapes and I just wondered if someone could recommend a very basic, entry level camera that would give reasonably quality. I saw photos of a chap down in Hove the other day and I love the way that he captured the waves cresting over ready to crash onto the beach but he seemed to capture every drop of sea water and I’d love to achieve something similar. Does that require any special equipment or is it technique? Grateful for any help. Kind regards. Rob
:p

Hello Rob and welcome.

We really need to know what is you budget before being able to advise.

Dave

Shutter speed would have been the key to his shot.. Pretty much any camera that you can control shutter speed on will allow you to capture something similar.

Without a budget, reccomending anything is pointless, but any DSLR from within the last 10 years will do a good job of what you want.

Of course newer bodies have better technology and are perhaps slightly better at certain things, but all in all, they are much the same.

I started out with a Nikon (which is the best ;):D) and the model was the D3000. Fantastic piece of kit and it taught me quite a lot. It's also a very forgiving camera I found. I am selling mine (cheeky plug) after upgrading. Of course there are newer models out now but personally, your best off saving a few quid.

Nikon d3100 or canon 550d these I reccomend as beginner cameras as they allow the user to grow enough before a replacement is required and then they make great backups etc

Pentax K30. Entry level price, but very good mid range performance. Weather sealing handy for those seascapes too.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/563/Pentax-K-30-Digital-SLR-Cameras.html

£50 cashback offer at the moment

I'm inclined to agree with this suggestion for an entry level DSLR.

I shoot Nikon and have an D60 as a lightweight camera that I'm considering replacing with something that does video. The D3100 would be the obvious choice and yet the number of times I've nearly pulled the trigger on the K30 is silly.

You get a LOT of camera for the money - you can argue the toss over the finer details of Canon vs. Nikon but weather sealing is a real genuinely useful feature that you shouldn't really expect at this price point...

I'm inclined to agree with this suggestion for an entry level DSLR.

I shoot Nikon and have an D60 as a lightweight camera that I'm considering replacing with something that does video. The D3100 would be the obvious choice and yet the number of times I've nearly pulled the trigger on the K30 is silly.

You get a LOT of camera for the money - you can argue the toss over the finer details of Canon vs. Nikon but weather sealing is a real genuinely useful feature that you shouldn't really expect at this price point...

Me too, can't beat the k-30 on price, IQ and features.

I have just got my first dslr after years of compacts. I bought a Canon 400d for £150 with a low shutter count, and invested in a half decent lens. Remember though, the camera isn't really as important as good optics. An all singing all dancing 20mp dslr can be brought down very quickly by a bad lens, the same as an older camera, (like mine) can be made much better with good glass.

that Pentax K-30 is really good value! you'll want a camera that can take a bit of beating, such as the odd environmental conditions you find yourself in. also shooting at the beach will require some good sealing.

I am in the same position also. Just been offered a canon 350d with lens for realitivly cheap. Was told it was an old camera but would still suit us beginners.
It will suit very well to start with. It's all about the lens though. Get a decent lens and your "old" 350d will produce surprising results.

Yeah,a few friends who are Keen photographers said that it is the lens that makes the camera. Maybe paying to much attention to mega pixels.

Yeah,a few friends who are Keen photographers said that it is the lens that makes the camera. Maybe paying to much attention to mega pixels.

Definitely. How many people boast about their 18 mega pixel compacts? Then wonder why their photos are grainy and too compressed?
I have a Panasonic TZ-8 compact, with a Leica lens, It's "only" 12mp but I'd challenge any higher mp camera to better it!

well, there are actually lots of higher MP cameras will better it, but you are right that more MP doesn't necessarily make the IQ better.

If you're on a tight budget, maybe one of THESE and a new 18-55mm lens (new ones are supposed to be better IIRC)

don't think thats a great deal its just the body. £200 with the lens. You can buy new for less than £100 extra. Cameras have come a long way since the 350d.

Last edited:
don't think thats a great deal its just the body. £200 with the lens. You can buy new for less than £100 extra. Cameras have come a long way since the 350d.

I said "if you're on a tight budget". For just £80 on top of your £100, I know where you can get a nice, brand new Canon 600d with lens and 3 year warranty.
MPBphotographic give you a six month warranty on all second hand gear.

I said "if you're on a tight budget". For just £80 on top of your £100, I know where you can get a nice, brand new Canon 600d with lens and 3 year warranty.
MPBphotographic give you a six month warranty on all second hand gear.

Yes i know you did but as you well now £80 extra now will soon fall into insignificance when they start buying lenses. Sony, Pentax, Canon and Nikon are all doing cashback deals at the moment making there entry level cameras under £300 which makes them a great buy.

Again, I'd challenge any other compact

You didn't actually say compact in your challenge, so afraid you lose (a lot) :)

I don't know of enough high mp compacts but try the RX100 for starters, 20mp and would knock yours into a cocked hat.

Last edited:
... I love the way that he captured the waves cresting over ready to crash onto the beach but he seemed to capture every drop of sea water and I’d love to achieve something similar. Does that require any special equipment or is it technique? Grateful for any help. Kind regards. Rob
:p
Hi Rob.
Get a tripod.
You'll capture more drops of the sea with a tripod than without ... no matter what camera you're using. Any tripod, trust me.

Now go spend £180 on a used DSLR & kit zoom lens, that'll give you enough money left over to get a better lens in a month or two.
Anything made in the last three years will be good.

I would say you could go back further than 3 years. The main area of development over the last 8 years has been with ISO handling and for what you require that may not be so important. Even something 8 years old such as a 20d for £100 would be great for what you want to do with it (and more besides)

Ernesto the trouble with a new user getting a much older camera is that he may run into trouble with compatibility, for example what if the camera-to-computer interface won't install on his up to date computer, what if his new super memory card won't work in the old camera. Of course once we know what we're doing we can work around these issues, but best for a new user to have a smooth entry.

Composition is the most important thing in landscape. Worry about getting the hang of that before getting into a 'what's the best kit' debate. Framing, controlling depth of field, judging the light, timing the shot. All far more important than the actual camera. Get a camera that feels comfortable in your hand. Doesn't much matter what. If it comes with a kit lens, fine; you can upgrade later when you know what you need, and kit lenses are capable of excellent shots. Think about the cost of a tripod and editing softwear (not strictly necessary, but likely to improve your results) when working out what to spend.

Ernesto the trouble with a new user getting a much older camera is that he may run into trouble with compatibility, for example what if the camera-to-computer interface won't install on his up to date computer, what if his new super memory card won't work in the old camera. Of course once we know what we're doing we can work around these issues, but best for a new user to have a smooth entry.

Good point, although that is a big 'may' and not a problem I have ever come across with older cameras.

350D is a great little camera if you're on a budget
you'll notice the screen is small and ISO shouldn't be near 1600 but frankly it's manual control and it's got everything you might expect (apart from spot metering).
however, the OLD 18-55 Lens was a limitation and then newer 18-55 IS lens is miles better from all reports.

Why is everyone recommending old used cameras? The guy hasn't said he's on a tight budget and new entry level model for £285 with a warranty and a newer stabilised kit lens not to mention huge benefits in iso performance and video capability amongst others is much better value than a 5+yr camera for £200. The £85 on the grand scheme of things is nothing at all. Some of you guys spend that on a filter. Not being able to shoot above 400 maybe 600 iso is hugely limiting.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I got taken in by all the talk of used :)

With no budget mentioned and no further input from OP I would agree, just go out and buy any old entry level camera and kit lens and off you go.
There aren't any bad ones and all with give the reasonable quality required

Yep, the Nikon D3100 at Jessops looks like a great buy at £284.99. Free delivery and comes with a two year warranty.

Love the D3100, great camera, the best in its price range!

Oh yes, I got taken in by all the talk of used :)

With no budget mentioned and no further input from OP I would agree, just go out and buy any NEW entry level camera and kit lens and off you go.
There aren't any bad ones and all with give the reasonable quality required

Corrected for you :D

Back