Entry Level D-SLR's...

Name
Joshua Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
I picked up a D40 today whilst I was out shopping, just to feel it, and compared to my film cameras and especially my D200 it felt like a toy, so light and tiny.

I know that it is based on the same sensor as my D200 so isn't to be taken lightly. But I just couldn't get my head round it at all, I also couldn't operate it very well as it was about the size of the palm of my hand.

Is the small form factor why its so cheap or is it just an attempt to cover two markets at once? (clueless but has money, and photography enthusiast on a tightly limited budget).

Edit: I'm not meaning this in a snobbish or nasty way, as I'm sure that there are people with D40's out there putting my efforts to shame right now, I'm just curious.

As a D40 owner I suggest (in a totally unoffend way :)) that the size "could" be a factor as its entry level and the commitment to a "big" DSLR when you've previously used a compact that will fit in your pocket must count for something?

Also the fact that its motorless must mean it can be made smaller?

mind you it does feel and look a little odd with a 70-300 VR hanging off of it LOL!

I have the D40X and being a young lady with small hands I like the size as it means for me it is easy to handle. If I had a big 'man' sized camera I would find handling a problem.

Also I had just got into SLR photography and had never had one before. So for me it is the perfect entry level camera.

I had a D40X briefly and found it OK to handle but I prefer the pro sized bodies. However I didn't like the size of the D70.
I do have 2 'deformed' fingers on my right hand and that could be the reason, the 'larger' D70 just not sitting right.

I never gave it a thought with my 400D, until I bought my 40D and had handled it for a few weeks. I had a quick go of a 400D and it felt odd. I'd handled this camera for a good 18 months, every single day, and in the space of 2 weeks with a new camera it didn't feel comfortable anymore. Everything had changed, the size, the weight, the 'invinsible' solid feel, I was shocked to be honest as I didn't think it'd change much.

Just goes to show how you don't notice things until you've experianced different.

Plus, without causing offence to anyone who owns a D40, it's a horrible camera anyway in my opinion. I had a quick go of a mates a year or so back, and gave it him back after a few minutes, I really hated it and was relieved to have my 400D back in my hands.

As a D40 owner I suggest (in a totally unoffend way :)) that the size "could" be a factor as its entry level and the commitment to a "big" DSLR when you've previously used a compact that will fit in your pocket must count for something?
I think kingy may be onto something there.

Nikon don't make it small to save money. It would surely be easier (and therefore cheaper) to design if there were more room inside to fit all the components, and the cost in materials of a larger body wouldn't be significant.

I have a D40x and a D70 and I prefer the D70 even though I don't have large hands. I know its not as big as the D300 but it feels more balanced than the D40x. The only thing about the D40x I prefer is the large rear screen. The one on the D70 is tiny by comparison.

Andy

Plus, without causing offence to anyone who owns a D40, it's a horrible camera anyway in my opinion. .

No offence that you don't like the D40 but offence that you can't find a better way to describe why you don't like it. Is it size, weight related as the OP was discussing?

i picked up a D40 today in P C world(as i did a 400 D),and compared to my sony alpha 350,they were very small to hold...the main reason why i was drawn to the sony.i think a battery grip would improve the size/feel though....just my own opinion of course..;)

Meh, people say that the 450D is too small and light - then go and buy a battery grip to make it look more professional :thinking:

Tbh I only really care about the pictures I take - I'm probably alone in saying I don't care how comfortable a camera is to handle.

I'm probably alone in saying I don't care how comfortable a camera is to handle.

Just out of curiosity, and purely a newbie question; would it not improve your whole experience of photography, if the camera felt good to use?

If you had a camera that you didn't like using, would you use it as much?

S

I have a D40X as well but I do prefer the feel of the D300 as I have quite large hands. However, the D40X is a very competent camera. You can achieve very good results with it. There is a member on here (forget his name) that has used it along with his other semi-pro cameras to achieve fantastic photos.

Yes, some of the features can be limiting and it does take time to set up the parameters before you can shoot but I really cannot fault it as a beginner's camera. It looks and feels much better (in my opinion) than the canon equivalent, the 400D.

Just out of curiosity, and purely a newbie question; would it not improve your whole experience of photography, if the camera felt good to use?

S

I dont know much but Im guessing so! If you think about it, if the camera is uncomfortable you wont want to pick it up will you ha!

or maybe you will (they do cost alot)
:bonk::bonk:

I've only ever used a d40 and have no complaints about its build. The small size is one of the reasons I bought it so I can just slap my walk about lens on and use a basic shoulder strap soft case for travelling.

I'm off to chase animals around the Serengeti early next year and like Kingy above, am a bit unsure how it will look/feel with a grunty lens on front (hiring from lenses for hire).

I'm sure if I ever got my hands on a pro level camera i'd salivate over it for a while but for now I dont know what i'm missing and have no complaints

My D40 was a recent purchase as an inexpensive way to dabble a toe into digital.

With the greatest possible respect to those who dislike it (unless they have hands the size of garden forks) I can see little wrong with it.

The light weight and small size mean that it is no effort to carry all day. Indeed far from being a disadvantage its lightness and small size can be seen as liberating.

The resolution is perfectly adequate for everyday use and there is plenty of creative control over the image. (Not to mention the presence of the "idiot" modes for when I hand it to the domestic authorities.)

I speak as someone who has spent a great many years lugging pro kit around and yes, there is something reassuring about the solid feel of my F3 with MD4 attached, but by the end of a long day with it round my neck and the F4s over my shoulder I am ready for a hot bath and a massage to unkink my ageing and aching muscles and bones!

I have no problem switching from one body to the other - each of them has its own handling quirks but none of them could be described as horrible to use.

Of course the time will come in the not too distant future when I start the propaganda campaign to release the funds for a D300 (if only so that I can use the rest of my expensive Nikon glassware) but that will be to complement and not replace the D40.

S

The whole experience? What if it's mounted on a tripod?

I work with cars and bikes, so I'm used to holding uncomfortable things. My hands have five fingers and hundreds of muscles for a reason - so I can grip things that differ in shape. As already said, I care more about image quality than how a camera looks or feels. I didn't buy a DSLR to fondle it, rather make pictures with it.

That's my attitude anyway :)

The whole experience? What if it's mounted on a tripod?

I work with cars and bikes, so I'm used to holding uncomfortable things. My hands have five fingers and hundreds of muscles for a reason - so I can grip things that differ in shape. As already said, I care more about image quality than how a camera looks or feels. I didn't buy a DSLR to fondle it, rather make pictures with it.

That's my attitude anyway :)

Fair enough, cheers for the answer :)

S

Back