EOS 1000

So how do i test this new lens? Obviously with digital you look at the picture straight after to make sure everything is working correctly, with film it can be an expensive test...

Is there anything to do before loading film

Bry

So how do i test this new lens? Obviously with digital you look at the picture straight after to make sure everything is working correctly, with film it can be an expensive test...

Is there anything to do before loading film

Bry

That's where having the same Digital and Film SLR's comes in :LOL:

Other than checking that the aperture moves smoothly when you turn the aperture ring, and that the zooming and focusing elements move when they're supposed to on the camera before loading film, there's not much for it but to bite the bullet, load some cheapish film and test away.

Definitely get the hang of stop down metering and so forth before you load the film though...

Manual mode, Wide open aperture, focus and compose, stop down to desired f stop, meter, adjust shutter speed to suit, pray, release shutter...

Cool :p best I get myself some more film then ;) only one 36EXP B+W left :D

Bry

You are using an SLR as well you know... wysiwyg!

Im somewhat disappointed to find out that my lens and adapter haven't magically appeared whilst doing some work...

Then again expecting a 6 hour turnaround is pushing it i guess ;) :D :LOL:

Bry

Aah crap just realised delivery could take a while... bank holiday weekend :(

Aah Yashica is coming out for a run this weekend me thinks, might even (dare I say it) use the D50 for a little while...

Bry

Aah crap just realised delivery could take a while... bank holiday weekend :(

Aah Yashica is coming out for a run this weekend me thinks, might even (dare I say it) use the D50 for a little while...

Bry

I'm no purist - I regularly take the EOS450D along with the EOS-3 - If I'm loaded with Colour film, I'll take BnW shots on the 450, then when I switch films, I'll load BnW in the EOS-3 and take colour on the 450D. 2 Bodies, one set of lenses, and the didjical to use as a "virtual polaroid" for any tricky exposure shots I want to get on film.

Hurrah, a bit of a suprise today :D Lens & Adapter have apparantly arrived at home today, annoyingly (again) the better half as beaten me to it and opened all the goodies up!

I don't finish work till 7 tonight now so have to wait, I'll get some pics up when i get a chance :)

Bry

Hurrah, a bit of a suprise today :D Lens & Adapter have apparantly arrived at home today, annoyingly (again) the better half as beaten me to it and opened all the goodies up!

I don't finish work till 7 tonight now so have to wait, I'll get some pics up when i get a chance :)

Bry

Excellent -I always forget that there is a post on the Saturday in Bank holiday weekend. Sadly, the postie brought me a renewal notice for the car insurance rather than any new toys :(

Cool - but I hope you got a flash as well... it's going to be dark when you get your paws on the toys :D

Cheers Arthur... ruin all my fun, I didn't think of that :( :p

To be fair tonight im going to pop over and see the parents, they have a fantastic dog so he might well be an interesting test subject tonight (indoors :p)

Bry

You're welcome
poke2.gif

3 hours... :p

Hell yes :D

Right slapped the adapter and lens on, and there in lies the problem...

If i "Lock it" in place (e.g red dots line up) the shutter fires but then an empty battery icon flashes and it freezes

If i connect the lens but don't quite lock it in place, the camera functions absolutely fine..?

Bry

Oh ho... you got that issue eh? Hang on...

Watching Dr Who? *confused* :p

Cheers for the link... i'll experiment now...

Bry

Personally can't stand it ;)

Right tried jamming it up, no dice still just locks up unless I don't have the lens on fully... is there any harm in running the rig this way?

Bry

What, slightly loose? It's the way I have to use the Elan... no problems as long as you remember it's like that when changing aperture.

I wouldn't even say its "loose" on the body, I'd say its just not quite locked, feels perfectly safe i think, and as you say, as long as I remember to be gentle with aperture dial I should be ok!

There is a pin that is on the lens that sticks out a fair distance, If i was to GUESS, I'd say that isn't helping matters?..

Bry

That's the auto aperture pin - should clear everything.

Ahh ok, guess I will just have to use it as is! cheers for all your help Arthur, look forward to getting some film in this tommorow!

Bry

Okay - I've done a bit more research into that microswitch thing - if you have a "chipped" adaptor ring, the switch needs to be open (as opposed to it's natural closed state - as in the photo below)

If you have a non chipped adaptor ring the switch needs to remain closed. I've got both types (albeit for Contax/Yashica rather than M42 - but it's the same on the camera side regardless). Both of my adaptor rings have bayonet fittings that are too short on the relevant bit to operate the switch - therefore the dumb adaptor works without wedging, but the other needs the switch wedging open.

If you fit the adaptor ring without the lens, on my adaptor, you can just see the switch is not opened. I'd be prepared to put money (well 10p in the charity box at least) on your adaptor having a bayonet tang that's long enough to open the switch. When this happens, the camera looks for a chip to define what lens is attached. This doesn't happen, as your adaptor hasn't got a chip in it, and the camera gives a "I can't understand this lens" error. If you fasten the lens on, but leave it just short of clicked open, the adaptor tang doesn't operate the switch, and it works fine. All it needs is a small amount of metal removing from the corner of the offending bayonet tang, and you should be able to click the lens home safely, and be sorted.

I think that this may illustrate what I was wibbling on about...

The 2 red lines mark the top and bottom of the bayonet tang. The bit of the tang scribbled on in blue ink would be the bit that was too long, and operated the switch when you didn't want it.

Obviously, the side shown in the shot is the bit that goes into the camera :)

I reckon 30 seconds with the dremmel would see it right :LOL:

Cheers for all your research TBY :D

Give it another day or 2 and I will set about it with power tools! :LOL:

Bry

Back