EOS 18-200mm Lens. Which brand?

Edit My Images
No
Im on the verge of buying an EOS 50D & the lens ive set my mind on is the 18-200mm. As an example the nearest camera shop to me sells various different brands of the lens, being these:-

CANON EF-S 18-200MM F3.5/5.6 IS - £399.99
SIGMA DC 18-200MM F3.5/6.3 - £229.99
TAMRON AF 18-200MM F3.5/6.3 XR Di II LD - £249.99

I was thinking of buying the Canon 50D with 18-200mm lens bundle but if the other 2 brands are of equal or better performance then why bother spending all the extra cash.

Is Canon over rated & over priced?

This is one of them purchases where its a 1 off, being honest i would never buy another camera that expensive. Jesus, ive only ever paid over a grand once for a car im that tight.

All lens suggestions will be welcomed with open arms.
Thanks in advance.

Im on the verge of buying an EOS 50D & the lens ive set my mind on is the 18-200mm. As an example the nearest camera shop to me sells various different brands of the lens, being these:-

I was thinking of buying the Canon 50D with 18-200mm lens bundle but if the other 2 brands are of equal or better performance then why bother spending all the extra cash.

Is Canon over rated & over priced?

This is one of them purchases where its a 1 off, being honest i would never buy another camera that expensive. Jesus, ive only ever paid over a grand once for a car im that tight.

All lens suggestions will be welcomed with open arms.
Thanks in advance.

Whilst searching for something else, I came across this review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EF-S_18-200mm_IS/index.shtml

Not sure whether all of these are only designed to work with cropped sensor cameras (the Canon definately is, 99% sure the Sigma is too), but these will be limiting should you decide to do a U-turn and upgrade to a full frame camera like the 1DS/5D etc.

The Sigma one you quote doesn't have image stabiliser, as for the Tamron, I have no idea as never owned anything made by them..

Anyway, hope this helps with your decision :)

Thanks Markta, that helped. Spent about 3 hours reading reviews & studying sample images. Its a tough decision. The canon has IS but has its faults where as the cheaper versions have a sharper picture & less fringing but no IS. Maybe i should think about a different lens.

I think your better off with the sigma OS version, it has the stabaliser missing off the one in your OP and it has been very well reviewed. The Canon it seems is good for a first effort but not the all singing all dancing solution some hoped for or even a match for the nikon equivalent.

I think your better off with the sigma OS version, it has the stabaliser missing off the one in your OP and it has been very well reviewed. The Canon it seems is good for a first effort but not the all singing all dancing solution some hoped for or even a match for the nikon equivalent.
I'd agree with that. I have the Sigma non-OS and my brother-in-law has the Sigma OS. His is much better; better build quality and better image quality.

As an example the nearest camera shop to me sells various different brands of the lens, being these:-

Those aren't very good prices, as a quick look at Camera Price Buster reveals. I think it's highly commendable to pay a small premium to support your local camera shop, but for the Sigma and Tamron those are huge premiums.

I'd agree with that too.

I would have thought going for Digic 4 instead of a digic 3 processor would be the way to go.

What are the pro's & con's 40d against 50d? Someone convince me, please. You chaps & chapesses know more than i do. I dont want to go out & buy something that i'll later regret.

50D has the better screen and more MP. Digic 4 can certainly handle the throughput - burst rate is the same, despite 50% increase in pixel count. One extra stop of ISO without resorting to CFN functions.

What do you like shooting?

I would have thought going for Digic 4 instead of a digic 3 processor would be the way to go.

What are the pro's & con's 40d against 50d? Someone convince me, please. You chaps & chapesses know more than i do. I dont want to go out & buy something that i'll later regret.

The main advantage of the 40D is price, this would leave you more money for buying some decent glass but if your definately sold on going the superzoom route then the extra money won't be much use to you as you can already afford the best superzooms.

Personally I'd go 40D and buy the sigma OS lens and put any left over money in the bank as I almost guarentee you'll be wanting something sharper and faster before very long.

What do you like shooting?

Anything & everything.
During the past summer i spent a lot of time in the Lake District & missed out on lots of quality landscape shots as i was only using a crappy 8meg samsung digimax. Very noisy. Appalling camera. Had more luck with an old 4meg camera i once had.
Now i cant wait to get back there with a DSLR.

Also i do a lot of dog walking on the beach at Morecambe & theres loads to photograph. Im missing out on snapping the flock of Cormorants that come here every winter.

I want to get some good pics of my kids on there quad. Tried with the samsung but as its that slow you just get the back end of the quad when its landed.

So yeah, anything & everything.

I'd got for the 40D and get 2 lenses covering the same range. Or even say the 17-85 IS plus the 70-300 IS (used, on eBay).

If you have to get the 18-200, the Canon or Sigma would be best for image quality according to reviews. I'd go for the Canon I think.

Back