EOS 1N with 15-35 and 70-200 lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
I think you guys all know that I'm currently on a downsize and "shift anything not being used" mission and I've been giving thought both to the Canon digital gear sitting underused and the EOS 3 and 1N.

I've been telling myself that both bodies will give me a chance to use these "digital" L lenses on 35mm but I've never got around to doing it so last weekend I pushed myself to grab the 1N.

Loaded with Agfa Vista which I like, I first grabbed the 16-35mm for a walkabout at nearby NT property Ickworth Park, and then on the Sunday took my f4 70-200 L IS USM on an MG rally. Dev & scan by Studio5, Thetford.

I realise now that subconsciously I was shooting with deep DoF in mind so there are no bokeh shots and the car rally shots feel very much like the output I'd get from the same lens on my digi 5DII. Do I like? Well yes but as I feared I felt uninvolved in the shot taking process and it was all rather clinical. I need to confront this a bit more and take some "bokeh" and "moody" shots before I can decide.

Here's the link to the album:
http://s303.photobucket.com/user/tikkathreebarrels/library/Film%20camera%20tests/Canon%20EOS%201N/16_35%20and%2070-200

and here are a few to see what you think:

003_3_zpsacfebaf1.jpg

007_7_zpsb7b945fe.jpg

016_16_zps6a7a02e9.jpg

023_23_zps38501f83.jpg

I know some people like the automatic SLRs from the 90s and 00s, but I abhor using them. Motor drive? Only if it's detachable please. Batteries? A small army of AA batteries, no thanks, button cells will do me just fine.

I like the compatibility between newer and older cameras (I shoot using Nikon AF primes on my manual film SLRs), but those plasticky SLRs do nothing for me.

That said, as a result, some of them offer incredible value. The F-801, for instance, was basically the D600 of its day, and you can pick one up for £25-30.

I keep wondering whether to get an F100, which goes for around £150, or one day get an F6 if I win the lottery, but I also have niggling doubts that I wouldn't enjoy using them.

If I had an arsenal of autofocus lenses (which I don't), especially if any of them were VR or G versions, perhaps it would make a lot of sense to get a modern AF film body to use with them, but even then I'm convinced much of the pleasure of film is about working at a slow pace. I've only used the MD4 for my F3 once.

I guess one day I'll buy a FF digital body to use my lovely old Nikkors with, maybe in a few years time when they're available more cheaply S/H. Perhaps that will be a better way to embrace modernity for the occasions when a quick-fire camera is better than my old faithful F2, F3 etc. for snapshots or anything requiring speed of action.

My pentax spotmatic F has more than enough character to suit me. I'd like to get an EOS film SLR for funsies but your pictures have made me want one a bit more!

Oh they're great fun. I guess a plastic filmie is just the thing for festivals. Found myself thinking "fancy taking a log splitter camping" then I worked out the type of vehicles in the campsite: room for the kitchen sink in there!

Oh yes - we came fully prepared!

Back