Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi to you all
I use a fz1000 as a main camera ,for the 4k video
but thinking of geting a dslr for stills possible second hand 70d
any thoughts on this option? i like nature photography

The 7d is better in every way and cheaper.

Hi to you all
I use a fz1000 as a main camera ,for the 4k video
but thinking of geting a dslr for stills possible second hand 70d
any thoughts on this option? i like nature photography

People may not agree and a decimal point or so either way may not matter but 70D v 7D...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Canon_EOS_7D/detailed

I sold my DSLR kit years ago and I've never had a 7D but I think it's reasonable to say that the 7D splits opinion with many liking the camera and some reporting noisy pictures and poor higher ISO performance? Is that fair? And if starting from scratch and if it simply has to be a DSLR wouldn't a Nikon be a better option? As I'm mirrorless these days I'd recommend the Sony A7 which I own and like :D and costs can be kept down by using old manual lenses :D

I suppose lens and camera body performance wise a lot hangs on what's meant by "nature" as that could depending upon the definition of nature require very different lenses especially from wide angle to long tele and even macro. So I think a bit of thought is required to decide what the priorities are, focal length wise and if there are any special requirements for the body such as super doper focus performance or exceptional higher ISO performance etc.

I've not helped have I :D

not really lol :ROFLMAO:

I just think it's worthwhile clarifying what "nature" means to the op as this could impact on both the choice of camera and lenses.

For me nature means landscape shots and also close up pictures of plants, butterflies etc. but for others it could mean something completely different.

I think it's worth thinking beyond DSLR's too.

I found the Panasonic FZ1000 very nice for nature stuff, only sold it because I was going to get another Nikon d3300 but saw the canon 5D and bought that
but the Panasonic was great.

The 70D is a good camera and presumably at a good price these days. It is pretty up to date in terms of a decent array of focus points, fully rotating touch screen and is fully capable of anything you're likely to need. The 7D is probably better if you want to shoot birds, sport etc but has a poor reputation in the ISO department, the 70D is good up to ISO 3200, when it does start to show. I've never used a 7D so can't really compare but I have a 70D and my comments are based on what I've read about the 7D.

It does matter what you mean by nature photography, landscape, birds, insects?

I know this isn't a comparison thread but the 70D is lighter and smaller than the 7D.

Last edited:
umm not getting rid of the fz1000 its great for video and not carrying lenses
but think i could maybe get better image quality with a dslr

umm not getting rid of the fz1000 its great for video and not carrying lenses
but think i could maybe get better image quality with a dslr
Image quality of what?

A DSLR could be fine but what lens are you going to put on it and what are you going to take pictures of? That may affect the choice of camera and lens and of course you can get the same or better actual image quality you'd get from a DSLR from cameras that are not DSLR's.

Just sayin' :D I think you need to think.

I like to start with the end product, the picture I want to end up with, and work back from that as the end result will influence the camera, lens and settings I'll use.

I was a happy Canon 70d user before selling the camera to my brother. I think I am correct in saying this was one of the first (Canon) cameras to offer dual pixel AF. The 70D was ideal for me & the purposes I wanted it for; family photos especially grandchildren, holidays & motor racing. It would also have been an excellent camera for nature/landscapes etc, depending on the lenses used. The image quality, overall, was more than sufficient for my needs.
Although I still have Canon kit, I have recently purchased a Panasonic m4/3. Although a smaller sensor, etc, one of its principal advantages (for me) is the significant weight saving.
This is not an easy decision for the OP but what I would strongly reccommend (in addition to the excellent advice in the previous posts) is to try and handle a few cameras to see how they feel in the hand. In my opinion, there is no point in buying a camera body that you're not comfortable holding.

Back