EOS 7D mk2 wifi card

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone got any experience of using a 3rd party Compact flash based Wifi card rather than the canon SD version?

I am keen to keep using my SD cards so I don't want to fill that slot with a card that is dedicated to wifi (only). I've seen a few 3rd Party CF versions on amazon but the reviews are not overly positive so looking for peoples opinions and experiences.

Cheers

I only have the Canon version as the 3rd party ones seemed unreliable. Would you need to keep it in the camera all the time? I only use mine when I need WiFi which isn’t very often.

Perhaps I'm the wrong demographic - but I've tried many Wi-fi cards (from the original EyeFi onwards) and they've never really lit my life alight - I've only recently became aware of a 5GHz (802.11n) one and even then you were restricted to 150Mbit (round numbers 15 megabytes per second) connection. Potential for chimping I suppose (again not my demographic) - probably better with an OTG cable and read the pics direct from the camera. My current camera has it built in, trying to think of any time I used it for real rather than "what does this do?" and I simply can't.

TL;DR feels like a solution in search of a problem to me

Thanks for the replies

The reason is so I can view the shots on my remote camera and check focus etc so would need to have it in the camera when shooting!

Use a CF card?

I can't find one of the capacity I need at a decent price. As a remote I need around 128gb or more and for it to have a decent buffer.

I already have the SD cards that cover that range, so ideally if I could buy a wifi CF card at around £20 its preferable to spending +£60 or more on a CF card, plus the cost of buying the wifi SD card and - I have no wider use for either (as I can use my SD cards in the R5 or 7D and the R5 has wifi anyway). So its a much bigger outlay with a smaller scope for usage in the future... If i was to buy a new body as a remote or use the R5 as a remote... for example.

Last edited:
Back