EOS - FD lens adaptor ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a EOS 650D and also own a FD 50mm F1.2 , Can I use this on the 650D ?
I understand that no auto focus , Would this work or does the body rely on lens info for the body to work ?

Thanks

It should work fine. I use both my old Zenit E lens (Helios-44) and my slightly newer Olympus OM lens on my 650d with no problems.

You will need to shoot on Av mode and set the aperture on the lens yourself (as well as focusing). In the absence of lens data, the camera will default to stop-down light metering with no need to know the actual aperture.

Last edited:
It would be a bad idea in all honesty. You would firstly need an adapter with a glass element inside, which will reduce optical performance and act as a mild telecoverter - meaning your f/1.2 lens won't be as fast anymore. Everything would be manual i.e. aperture would be set on the lens and you'd shoot in aperture priority mode.

Personally, if I was set on using a Canon DSLR, I'd sell the FD lens and buy a lens which didn't need an optical adapter instead e.g. Olympus 50/1.2, Nikon 50/1.2, Pentax 50/1.2.

Alternatively, buy a Canon EOS-M and use it on that, as an adapter exists that doesn't need the glass element.

Why on earth would he need an adapted with a glass element. Neither of my two adapters (M42 to EOS and OM to EOS) have a glass element.

Why on earth would he need an adapted with a glass element. Neither of my two adapters (M42 to EOS and OM to EOS) have a glass element.

Because lens to flange distances are different for all of the lens mounts, sometimes for infinity focus a glass element is required. This is the case of mounting an FD lens to EOS, and the same reason why many old lenses cannot be mounted on Nikon DSLRs without a glass element.

This is well documented online, and the reason why FD glass is actually not particular popular compared to other vintage glass.

This is what is said on the advert

"This is the adapter for using Canon FD manual focus lenses on Canon EOS auto focus mount and Digital Cameras by manual focusing under manual exposure control or by using aperture-priority AE.

It allows you to use Canon FD mount lenses and macro accessories on Canon EOS cameras. The lens distance scale can be used as well as the focusing to infinity and the adapter has correction lens inside.

To Mount:
Mount the Lens onto the adapter and then mount them onto the camera.

To Remove:
Remove both lens / adapter together from the camera, press the lens lock and then remove the adapter from the lens simultaneously.

Suitable for:
Canon FD FL Mount Lenses
Canon EOS EF Mount Camera

Package Includes:
1 x Adapter for Canon FD Lens to Canon EOS Camera (with glass)
1 x Front cap
1 x Rear Cap "

It does not mention anything re loss of aperture ?

It's got a glass element inside, so will increase focal length slightly and reduce max. aperture. If you buy one without the glass, you will only be able to shoot macro.

Perhaps do a bit of Googling to decide whether you would be comfortable with the results these sort of adapters produce. At small sizes it may not bother you.

Hi

I have a EOS 650D and also own a FD 50mm F1.2 , Can I use this on the 650D ?
I understand that no auto focus , Would this work or does the body rely on lens info for the body to work ?

Thanks

I briefly used Olympus Zuiko lenses on my 5D but in my opinion using manual lenses on modern DSLR's for anything other than stuff that's big in the frame and easy to see is a recipe for frustration and out of focus shots as these cameras just aren't built for manual focus and have no focus aids. If you want to manually focus on anything the detail is going to have to be clearly visible otherwise how are you going to focus on it?

I think that mirrorless cameras are much more suitable than modern DSLR's for manual focus as they have peaking and maybe more importantly a magnified view. I can focus my 50mm f1.2 no problem on any of my mirrorless cameras (actually I could focus my Voigtlander f0.95 with no problem too) and that's something I don't think I could do with any acceptable hit rate with a Canon DSLR, not for anything other than stuff big and clear in the OVF.

Last edited:
OK people , looks like its a no go on the 650d then

Next option is a Canon body for film use , any suggestions as to a decent body ?

Forget FD lenses on Canon DSLR cameras, the results will be poor, but possible. Pentax M42 fit lens will work very well on your current body, with a suitable adapter. I have quite a collection and use them often. You can also use these lenses with auto focus, providing you use a chipped adapter.

However, if you really want to have a go with your FD lens. then get a used EOS M, they work very well on that camera. I also have a collection of FD lenses dating back to my T90, (which I still have but never use). In fact, I prefer to use my FD 100mm macro on my EOS M than my recently purchased Sigma 105mm macro...:)

Back