EOS M or NX3000?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Fancy trying an entry level mirrorless as a replacement for my Canon s95 and have been reading reviews on these two all day.

I have a 40D with a selection of lenses and that will continue to be my main camera for when that is all i will be doing, or am shooting action or longer focal lengths - but i want the mirrorless for the times i am out and about with my dog, sight seeing, social gatherings, etc where i don't want to lug 40D around.

I think the NX3000 looks like great value, but am a little apprehensive about how well supported they will be compared to the more established photography brands.

The eos-m looks better built (metal body vs plastic of samsung) and will have the option of using my current lenses if necessary, although i'd be more interested in using a couple of fast primes specific to whichever format (ef-m or nx) - so it's not a deal breaker.

I know the eos was knocked for slow af, but that is not a massive concern for my intended use.

The touchscreen seems like a better idea for af selection, but how does the fixed screen fair in daylight? The samsung has the flip screen to give improved viewing angles, but no touch for fast af selection. Can the samsung af point be moved from the centre or is it a case of focusing and re-composing?

My main concern is image quality, lens quality and build quality.

Would love to hear from anyone who has conpared both models. Any opinions would be a great help. Thanks.

Last edited:
My nephew just bought one, my impressions of the Samsung NX3000 is that is a few degrees above a point and shot. Wasn't impressed, ok it has a interchangeable lens, but very limited functionality from a quick play. For the money, the canon EOS M from Argos for £199.99 a bargain. Ok the autofocus gets a bit of getting used to, but the M far superior to the Samsung in my opinion, better camera all round and the autofocus has been improved by the latest firmware release, ok not lightning quick, but then its not designed to be used for action photography, but go and try the samsung out in currys if you want.

I can't comment on the Samsung as I've not tried it, but can recommend the EOS-M.

I bought one a few months back as a stop gap after selling my 7d and big lenses. I just wanted something to tide me over until I bought either a 5DIII or Sony A7x. What I found is I'm happy with the M so sticking with it (will get the M3 once released if it's a good upgrade).

It's the lenses that make the camera IMO. The kit 18-55mm is very good and the the 11-22mm is extremely good. The lens I prefer though is the 22mm f2. It's just so much better than it should be for the cost. To put into perspective I shoot mainly landscape and I get better results with my M than I ever got with my 7d, Tamron 24-70 vc and Canon 10-22.

Of course all this is just my personal opinion. It's worth having a read through this thread on the M

As you have a 40D already, at £199 from Argos an M is a no brainer.

That is basically the conclusion i came to and popped into argos this morning to buy the eos m, but after waiting around for some time they told me they couldn't find it in the stock room and couldn't get one from a local store.

That was the black one. I can order the silver one in for tomorrow so will probably do that, but as i had time i thought i would reconsider.

Sadly our local currys shut so i couldn't look at the samsung this afternoon.

But it sounds like i had made the right choice anyway. Suppose silver isn't too much of an issue!

The silver one will look cool.

So I went back to Argos and picked up a silver one - looks OK, black would be preferable, but not really a deal breaker.

Anyway, onto the camera itself, I am very happy with it so far - so glad I picked this over the Samsung, I'm sure there is little between them as far as IQ is concerned, but the build of the EOS-M and the kit EF-M 18-55mm lens are great.

Have only had chance to grab a few photos on the dog walk, but so far the results on the LCD look great - will hopefully get chance to open them up in Lightroom later today. Handling of the small body needs more caution than my gripped 40D, but you barely know it's in your hand. Think I will be adding a more substansial grip though, the oe one with the slippery body is not great with even the EF-M 18-55 mounted, let alone any of my EF/EF-S lenses.

Next on my list is the EF-M 22mm f/2 - I see this as a carry everywhere camera, and with the 22mm pancake on it will fit in my coat pocket easilly.

So far so good :)

The 22mm goes for around £65-£75 on ebay. You would be mad not to!

Next on my list is the EF-M 22mm f/2 - I see this as a carry everywhere camera, and with the 22mm pancake on it will fit in my coat pocket easilly.

When I go for a walk, I usually wear my Barber jacket, the M and 18-55 will fit quite comfortably in a pocket, but I agree about the 22mm, I shall get one soon.:)

When I go for a walk, I usually wear my Barber jacket, the M and 18-55 will fit quite comfortably in a pocket, but I agree about the 22mm, I shall get one soon.:)

Yes - thinking about it, that particular day I had my reefer on with smaller pockets, but usually I wear a North Face coat for dog walking which has quite large pockets.

Back