Epson 1500W liney prints - PLEASE HELP!!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks, I REALLY could do with some help please.
My 1500 wont give me a good nozzle check. It was near perfect but I was getting horizontal lines in my prints. So today I gave the jets a clean out with some isoproprnal and now the test prints are just as bad and the nozzle pattern is worse. I expected it's taking a while to pull ink through but this is getting ridiculous. I'm using Marrut's continuous ink system which sorted a previous line problem (I suspected from knackered seals on refillable carts) but it's still as bad.

I have seen about taking heads off and soaking the jets, but I've also read this can in it's self cause headaches.

I have prints due at my photography club tomorrow but I'm close to throwing the printer out the window.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Get some cleaner from here

http://www.printheadhospital.co.uk

Don't know whats in their liquid other than IPA but it's cleared a lot of blocked heads for me. Get their kit and make sure the liquid is hot ( 50 deg c ) when you use it.

I'm going to have to do my Canon 9000 soon as it's been stood too long.

I don't know the printer but does it have an alignment program you need to run.

Thanks Chris
From what I've read cleaners you buy are Isopropyl, which is what I'm using. It's got a head alignment tool, but that's for sorting vertical lines.

Don't continue head cleaning. Instead make up a sheet with four CMYK solid boxes repeating down the page. Print five sheets at top resolution, ie. setting the printer to gloss paper but using plain paper.
If no joy run another five and evaluate

Thanks Chris
From what I've read cleaners you buy are Isopropyl, which is what I'm using. It's got a head alignment tool, but that's for sorting vertical lines.

Theres definitely some kind of detergent in Printhead hospital liquid. When you shake it it gets a slight foam. Pure IPA wouldn't do that. Shame your not local I have a reasonable sized bottle I could have let you have some to try.
One thing I note is that your using a CISS system, I've never had any luck at all with them on Epson or Canon printers although many have :D

Theres definitely some kind of detergent in Printhead hospital liquid. When you shake it it gets a slight foam. Pure IPA wouldn't do that. Shame your not local I have a reasonable sized bottle I could have let you have some to try.
One thing I note is that your using a CISS system, I've never had any luck at all with them on Epson or Canon printers although many have :D
Might be worth getting a bottle before replacing the printer (y)

Thanks Chris
They used to be ammonia based not sure now, not sure IPA will dissolve dried ink, but ammonia will.

I've tried everything everyone's suggested, thanks for that (y), except the stuff @ChrisH suggested. So I've ordered 500mls (£19.99 inc 1st class delivery seems good to me) and we'll see how I get on. I'm still doing research at the moment in case I have to replace the printer and may get the Canon Pixima 10. It's a bit pricey but the ink goes further than the Pixima 100s and costs less per cart. Yes there's two more carts but it's pigmant instead of dyes. Anyway, I digress and at very least it's on the wish list.
Thanks for you're help, I'll let you now how I get on and I will do a write up if this works for future readers of the thread (y)

If you want to keep the Epson and CIS, you might be able to get a new print head for it. Possible cheaper than doing the several cleans and buying cleaning kits, especially once you cost in your time.

Thanks @Nod but as i understand it replacing print heads on Epson printers can be more hassle than its worth, something to do with having to programme the head to the printer.

I have tried the stuff. The nozzle check is almost clear but prints are still very liney. I think I'm going to admit defeat in this and buy a new printer, which isn't entirely a bad thing. Thanks all so much for all your help and suggestions [emoji106]

Two things to try before you give up.

1. Turn the printer on and then unplug it as the carriage gets about half way to unlock the head. Pack underneath the head carefully with toilet roll and soak it in cleaning fluid over night. See if it clears any hardened crud off.

2. Try and find a program called ssc Utility on the net, it's the best program for Epson and includes some great programs to help clean and run alignment tests.

If they fail chuck it in a canal and buy a Canon. I've just brought my Canon 9000 back to life after being left for about a year with empty cartridges. The big advantage is the head is designed to be serviceable, so after some deep cleaning it's printing like new again.

Ive done the first suggestion but tbh I'm giving up. Im wasting so much in which it the same ink I use in my Epson P50. It's over 5 years old and I'm convinced it's a knackered head rather than a blocked one. Going to order the Canon pro 10s today. [emoji106]

Back