Epson 3880 Help

Name
Edmund
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, any of you are familiar with Epson 3880?

The issue is that the photo black/matte black is not printing at all and the nozzle checks didn't reveal any of the black color being printed!

I've literally tried ever possible cleaning tips like soaking the print head with mixture of isopropyl, ammonia, water (did removed loads of ink residue), auto head clean, power etc. The thing is, it was still printing beautifully 2 weeks ago. The printer has been trouble free even though I've left it untouch for a couple of months(!) previously but this time, I'm really puzzled! Unfortunately for me the warranty has lapsed.

Lastly if I were to send it for repair, has anyone got any recommendations around Berkshire area?

This will probably be of no help but I had an old Canon S9000 A3 printer that I could not get to print black. As the head unit was removable I tried another head unit with the same result. After a bit of research I found that the carrier that holds the head unit contains some electronics and this was faulty for the black ink location. This printer was not worth repairing so scrapped it.

In case anyone does found this thread, I've just solved the problem.

The problem is to do with the chip of the photo black which although it indicates there are still more than 60% left, there is actually none left.

I swapped it to matte black and ran a couple of auto nozzle checks which passed beautifully! However in the process of discovering this, I have wasted a lot of inks! Oh well, at least it's better than replacing the printhead which will be a lot more!

glad you have got it sorted, I've got a 3880 and they are great printers but don't take kindly to not being used regularly. I've also found that letting any of the black inks get down to below 2-3% can cause issues with banding too so now replace and soon as the warning triangle appears.

Back