Epson or Canon Scanner

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I know nothing at all about scanners had an old Epson about 10 years ago and that's it!!
I'm looking to scan my Dads old 35mm slide films in and was wondering whether to go for the Canoscan 9000F or the Epson Perfection V500.
Appreciate any feedback from anyone using either or both of these.
Thanks
Dave

i have an hp scanner and a cannon. my hp does not scan the whole glass , but my cannon does.

the hp is approx 7 years old and is still perfect, the cannon was resued from a skip and is still working

i personally think the hp is a better scan . but the cannon is very good as well

i dont know about the epson scanners as i have never owned one

its unfortunate that you are so far away , i also use aminola f-2800 film / slide scanner which is better at this job than both my flatbed scanners

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
I know nothing at all about scanners had an old Epson about 10 years ago and that's it!!
I'm looking to scan my Dads old 35mm slide films in and was wondering whether to go for the Canoscan 9000F or the Epson Perfection V500.
Appreciate any feedback from anyone using either or both of these.
Thanks
Dave

Some people use their DSLR to copy.................................

I use an epson V500/600 in college and ive had some pretty good scans from it, takes forever at four slides a time though.

Thanks, Steve, never heard of the aminola before??....Brian, dont fancy doing it via the DSLR and Sean thanks for the positive comment on the V500 I can imagine it is very time consuming at 4x so hope to make it my project for 2011 and 2012 etc!!
thanks all
Dave

I've just bought an old Epson 4870. Got it for £35 off ebay.

it will scan 4 strips of 35mm - 24 images , in one batch.

If that info is any good to you :shrug:

Thanks Tricky, great info. and a good price too.
Dave

I've just bought an old Epson 4870. Got it for £35 off ebay.

it will scan 4 strips of 35mm - 24 images , in one batch.

If that info is any good to you :shrug:

I assumed he meant mounted slides, which the Epson V scanners can do 4 of at a time. Or two strips of unmounted film.

That old scanner seems handy if It can do four strips at once though!

That old scanner seems handy if It can do four strips at once though![/QUOTE said:
That's what interest me Sean

I think it does 8 slides at a time ?

usefull info / reviews on mine and other scanners here.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/scanners_page.htm

Basically, I checked ebay for all the scanners finishing in the next 24 hrs, every day - and googled the spec on any that looked cheap enough (y)

every once in a while you see one (like mine) slip through :D

Rich

I've got an epson 4490 which I have been very happy with, but I think this has been discontinued and replaced with the V500. I'm pretty sure is scans either 2 strips of 35mm unmounted slides or 4 35mm mounted slides at a time

4990 was succeeded by the V700, I think both these scanners are a cut above the V500 which is a re-vamped 4490.

Many Thanks appreciate all the recommendations

The 3200 is in the 4490 bracket, not 4990/v700.
Do research or take it from me, the 4990 and V700/V750 are a cut above the lesser Epson numbers.

agreed ... but why the "LOL" :thinking:

My 4870, is the same as the 4990 as far as I can tell , apart from the extended scan area from 6x9" to 8x10" on the 4990

The 3200 isn't far behind in terms of scan quality, if you are on a budget, like the V500 to the V700/750 ... just less convenience for batch and larger negs

maybe its because POAH isn't selling a 3200

ah ... I see ... said the blind man :LOL:

me in my little space here ... not peeping out into the wide wide world :cautious:

as far as I can see the you get better dmax with the 4990 over the 4870 etc plus greater resolution.

agreed ... but why the "LOL" :thinking:

My 4870, is the same as the 4990 as far as I can tell , apart from the extended scan area from 6x9" to 8x10" on the 4990

The 3200 isn't far behind in terms of scan quality, if you are on a budget, like the V500 to the V700/750 ... just less convenience for batch and larger negs

I am also about to embark on a slide digitising project for my dad and will use either my Epson V500 or a Bowens Illumitran slide copier that I got a while ago off ebay. The slide copier will likely be a bit longer to set up properly but will be far quicker to use. I'll post a few examples when they're available.

I have a v500 and its great, does take a while if doing large scans at a high resolution but I can live with it.

The 4990 can scan up to 10x8 film so is very popular and goes for a high price because of this, still wish I had one...

Back