Epson r2880 printing

Edit My Images
No
I decided to buy a new Epson printer so i could printer my own prints, i went for this model as its the same as my tutors so if i gat a problem he could help.
so ok first prints were not that bad but could do with some small adjustments. Following my tutors work flow i make the finally adjustments in the epson printer settings adding brightness or contrast etc. I then printed and all was ok I was happy with the prints. shut down the pc.
the following day i decided to print off more photos, but this time i couldn't make any adjustments in epson print settings
no matter what i set the manual colour settings to my all come out the same. I have even set to the extreems eg -25 cyan +25 yellow +25 brightness +25 saturation.
my monitor is calibrated and i have check all my settings in cs5 and windows 7. I have got epson to change the printer just in case but its still the same.
i do understand that its best to get it right in cs5 first and print without any adjustments but to get close i have to adjust the image far to much.
sorry about long message but i thought it would help to mention everything i done first.

You aren't double profiling are you?? do you use printer manages colours or Colour Management turned off Photoshop manages colours.
Dave

when you click printin CS5 there is a box that says printer manages colour or photoshop manages colour. if you choose photoshop you have to turn ICM off in the printer GUI, you also need to choose the right profile for your paper too.

I'm using an Epson 1400 and in my Advanced Setting I tick ICM and tick OFF (no colour management) then in Colour Handling highlight Photoshop Managers Colours then in Printer Profiles highlight my icc profile for the paper type.
Hope I have explained this OK
Dave

poah and dave
Just checked and thats what i have been doing, i've tried printing both ways. when in printer manages colours its doesnt matter what settings i use EG brightness etc the print comes out the same quite dark.
thanks

Hmm!! I think I would let Epson change the printer and start over again, hopefully, all will be well with the second printer.... if you keep getting the same problem afterwards, are you going to Focus on Imaging in March at the NEC where you could you take some prints along and grab an Epson Rep to sort it out face to face
Dave

Epson have already changed it!!! so its got to be a software problem, maybe a tick in the wrong box?? but i have checked and double checked.
I may try uninstalling cs5 and trying again
thanks

I doubt if it is your copy of CS5 why not Google 'Colour Management' there is a lot of info. about setting up your printer and profiles.
Alternatively, post a question here these guys are pretty good at sorting problems out
hope this helps
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003

Dave
EDIT - just an example but may help you -http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=32961673

Last edited:
Are you selecting Photoshop manages colour or Printer manages colour ?

Last edited:
chappers
Are you selecting Photoshop manages colour or Printer manages colour
Ive tried both settings and i'm not double proffing

Poah
Im using epsons paper and picking the correct profile for the paper eg semigloss

thanks for the replys

Kimo

Am I understanding correctly, that the main problem is that the prints are to dark compared with the monitor?

chappers
no not just that everything was fine when i first installed the printer and i could adjust my prints using the epson software, but since i restarted my pc the next day to carry on printing it will not make any adjustments to the print even when i go to the exteeme of using settings like +25 brightness +25contrast +25 yellow and -25 cyan that should make the print look very bad.

Just a couple of things, and sorry if you've been over this already.

If you are printing using "Photoshop manages Colour" then a lot of the Epson controls may not work., especially if you have ICM ticked and no colour correction selected in the ADVANCED box.

To get the colour controls to work you need to have "printer manages colour" in Photoshop, and the ICM box unticked and Colour controls enabled. (No colour correction unticked)

This I'm afraid is from memory, as I' now running on a Mac and it's a couple of years since I worked on a PC with Photoshop. The Mac print path is a bit different to Windows so I can't replicate your problem.

All I can say that with a correctly calibrated and profiled monitor, my 2880 prints very close to the screen. I use primarily Ilford paper and Epson ink. The "Canned" profiles from Ilford give a very close match to the screen.

Given time I'm sure well get to the root of your problem

i have just sorted it by unistalling and reinstalling cs5, its now printing as i want using printer managing settings and i can adjust the colurs as i want. I must have had box ticked somewhere in cs5 but just couldn't see it.:clap:

thanks for everyones help

kim

Well, you can blow me over with a feather!!!
first time I have heard a dark print problem being cured by a Photoshop reinstall
Glad your sorted and thanks for letting us know how you solved the problem
Dave

Back