Epson scanners

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
My Epson 4490 turned up today and I can't get it to work right and the instructions are next to useless. The medium format tray has one rectangular whole which is about the right size for two shots of the three shot strip of negative.

I'm hoping it's similar to the other Epsons and someone can tell me where I'm going wrong because the instructions aren't very helpful and I'm getting frustrated. Regardless of what target size I select the preview is always a rectangle and I'm shooting 6x6. Why is it doing this?

Help me.

TMFV

Errm, its at the bottom, where you select the format for the preview scan, there are 2 options, I have the software but the scanners all packed up and it won't run without the scanner.
Actually, I don't understand, you'll have to be more specific with the steps you take and what happens

Sorry joxby, it was the end of a long day for me when I wrote that. I found the hidden away menu for changes the preview size to 6x6 but it only scans two frames at a time which is a PITA when they're in strips of three. I'll have another go tonight or at the weekend but something tells me it's not as simple as insert slides, press button, hey presto.

I did manage to see previews of the two slides but when I was scanning at a default of 6x4.5 they would show up as two or three cropped images in the preview. When I set the preview to 6x6 it was one long image, but at least the slides weren't cropped. I ran out of time after that so no idea how to seperate that into two images. The slides seemed quite dark though even with the brightness whacked right up, much darker than when held up to the window.

In the preview window, you can marquee the 2 6x6's separately and select adjustments to each individually before the proper scan.
Again, going back to scan preview, there is a box at the bottom where you can select a preview scan of the entire window, that'd be 2 6x6, or just a scan of the 2 frames individually, sometimes if they are dark the scanner cant see where one frame ends and the other begins, so you have to scan the whole window and marquee them.
Your negs are in 3frame strips = 4 strips, you can have them 4frame = 3 strips, it all depends on the storage sleeves you have.
I get sleeves where the pockets run down the length A4ish, 4frame 3strip, so I can scan 2 and spin it round and scan another 2.
If you had bought the 4990, that scans in 3's I think, 4490 in 2's....:LOL: 6x6 ofcourse

Back