Epson Stylus R2880 - mountain of questions ;) ;)

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
hey guys

ok so here's the situation. just got myself a reasonably priced secondhand epson stylus r2880 online. it's got about half ink in it, and i'm going to do some test prints (though i have yet to buy any paper, see below) - i have identified some things i think i need to get started and would very much appreciate if you would look over what i have said and give me your input. i am still learning!

need:

recommended epson ink retailer - i intend to upgrade to a cis one day but at the moment that is a little much for me.

paper source - and would i need an icc profile for it? if so - could y'all recommend me glossy, semi-gloss and any other variety of paper that is 'certified' for the epson? i'm thinking that a link to a photo supplier who sells paper and is patient enough to answer a few questions may help me?

will i need calibrate the printer itself? how would i go about doing this?

how much good would it do me to calibrate my macbook pro monitor? would i need to buy something like a spyder or colormunki, or is there some way of doing this with the miracle of software? ;)

anything i missed? (usually is)..

many many thanks for your wisdom and time. (y)

-k

using the epson inks epson papers will have ICC profiles like wise many manufactuers have ICC profiles for epson ink. if you change to a CIS then you'll need to get new profiles made up.

fotospeed provide free profiles for their paper or you can get profiles made for you as well.

Since I review a lot of papers I use my own profiling system.

for bog standard gloss I recomend kirkland gloss paper (you can buy it on ebay) or fotospeeds own gloss (kirkland a lot cheaper). for a luster type I like ilford smooth pearl or fotospeed oyster.

You'll need to profile your monitor as part of the whole getting accurate prints workflow.

spyder3 is good

hello again POAH

Thanks for all your advice thusfar. I have bought some kirkland gloss and ilford smooth pearl per your recommendations. 1st class so i cant wait to get my hands on them! :D

may I ask what you mean by ' I use my own profiling system. ' ?

regarding print calibration; i'm assuming you use a spyder3 ? i have been looking at comparisons between that, the colormunki and the huey...slightly overwhelmed by choice :)

I have an R2880 and it does lovely prints but using Epson paper and profiles I find that the prints are too dark. Googling "Epson dark prints" tells me that it's an issue for more than just me.

So, my advice is to choose your paper, profile and settings carefully and be prepared to spend time to achieve good results.

I make my on ICC profiles for each paper I use.

hello again POAH

Thanks for all your advice thusfar. I have bought some kirkland gloss and ilford smooth pearl per your recommendations. 1st class so i cant wait to get my hands on them! :D

may I ask what you mean by ' I use my own profiling system. ' ?

regarding print calibration; i'm assuming you use a spyder3 ? i have been looking at comparisons between that, the colormunki and the huey...slightly overwhelmed by choice :)

I have an R2880 and it does lovely prints but using Epson paper and profiles I find that the prints are too dark. Googling "Epson dark prints" tells me that it's an issue for more than just me.

Google "dark prints" and you'll see it's more than just an Epson problem too. My understanding is that dark prints are often (but not always) as a result of a monitor which is too bright/contrasty. ICBW - I often am :)

So, my advice is to choose your paper, profile and settings carefully and be prepared to spend time to achieve good results.

Can't argue with that (y)

No, it's deffo not a monitor problem and to be honest I think that a lot of people waste a lot of time and effort going down the monitor calibration route when trying to cure dark prints.

If I take a shot and do no post capture processing on it at all it still prints out dark using my Epson (and no, I'm not getting the exposure wrong.)

I also have prints that I printed on my previous HP, I've since printed them with the Epson and they are much darker...conclusive proof in my case at least and I'm 100% sure that the dark print issue I have is the Epson printer or the Epson profile and nothing to do with my screen.

After wasting hours down loading drivers and trying this and that changes to the settings I was ready to take an axe to my Epson...but time and bloody mindedness eventually brought results. Next time I'll be looking for something a little more plug and play, if such a thing exists, but I am a little shocked that a printer complete with manufacturers ink, paper and profiles can produce results which are so far out.

Last edited:
Hmm. Hoping not to have the dark print fiasco.. maybe if I think very positive thoughts..

I got some ICC profiles for the Epson papers I have discovered lying about..
But, I need some for Kirkland (glossy) papers as well. Anyone know where I can get some that'll do for this?

I've pulled up Paul Roark's page and it seems to be what I'm looking for, but as I am somewhat new, I'm not sure if this is what I am looking for?
http://home1.gte.net/res09aij/UT-3D_Downloads.html

Havn't even got to monitor calibration yet ;)

Please advise? :)

I found that all my prints were too dark on my R2400 (the pre-decessor to your printer) when printing via Photoshop. I tried profiling and all manner of stuff and then found the answer.

When you click print in PS use "Photoshop manages colours" to the right.
Select the right profile from the list
Click Print

You will now go to the Epson driver....

Click the "Print Settings" tab
Click the "Basic" tab
Click "Color" in the "Color" tab
Click on the "Color Settings" tab and change this to "Color Control > Adobe RGB"

This little gem of information has transformed my output from acceptable to Pro lab quality.......

I’ve got the R2880 and I’m pleased with it now I’ve got it set up. You do need to calibrate your screen with something like a spyder. When I first did this my images on the screen looked very warm and definitely not how I expected, but the printed output was spot on. Now I’m used to the look of the monitor I think I’d just grown accustomed to high contrast images on screen. The point is, your screen calibration can be a mile off, but it looks ok.

I use Epson cartridges; there’s a pop-up in the printer progress window that invites you to buy now directly from Epson. I use this as the price is competitive enough to prevent me from getting the car out or wasting ages googling for a few pence off. The delivery is quick too. Next day usually.

I’m considering going to a continuous ink delivery system soon, but I’m too comfortable with the cartridges to make the jump.

Paper is a very much a subjective thing. I tried Epson but wasn’t too impressed although I can’t put my finger on why. I’ve tried Kirkland and Perma Jet too. I was happy with both but tend to use PJ now. They do a trial box with 23 (I think) different papers which is about a tenner I think.

Free ICC profiles are available from their website, and they also offer a bespoke profile for your set-up. Simply print off one of their calibration images and post it to them. They email you the profile.
I really like the ultra pearl 295 which I’d recommend.

Back