Epson V300 Scanning Issue

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I've been using this scanner for a while now and sometimes I get a streak line on the scanned film [see attached photo].

It seems to go away if I clean the glass scanning plate so I've assumed its caused by dust but the position of the line doesn't seem to vary.

Is this some fault with the scanner or is there dust on the detector in the scanner? I need to read up on how flatbed scanners work first I guess

Let me know soon

Cheers
sid

inthebin.jpg

Line is the streak along the bottom

If it's on scans of film and prints, then it sort of points to dust in or on the scanner head itself (the bit that moves back and forth inside the casing) i'd say :shrug:

Might just generate enough static to move the dust mote? Either that or rubbing the glass moves the dust, but it settles back again. I just remember the photocopier at work years ago having a similar problem.

After a really close look, the odd thing about it is how the line fades over the brighter parts of the pic.
For that reason I'm gonna guess its not dust and its not a bit of dead sensor.
Yes I'm going to go with old faithful........Software...:)

Scraping the barrel a bit here, but is the scanner plugged into a usb hub and/or are there any other usb devices that aren't always present?
Another thought... Does the problem seem to get better as you scan more (i.e. Could the time you spend cleaning the glass give the scanner a bit more time to warm up?)
Two ideas for the pot. These sort of problems drive you mad, don't they?

/hardware_engineer_mode

Intermittent problems - blame sunspot activity and get out the door fast...

/-hardware_engineer_mode

Err the line will fade over the brighter bits because there's more light to get through whatever it is.

I reckon it's a flea riding a spider on the fairground attraction in your office. The cloth wiping the glass scares it off for a minute.

I'd actually put it down to something like a hair hanging around the sensor. Remember your supposed to be cleaning the scanner in the lid not the bottom one :D

semi transparent......dust !!

well intermittent or not, I'm sticking with software till it is eliminated.
my Minolta used to scan 120 as microfilm intermittently with VueScan.

Err the line will fade over the brighter bits because there's more light to get through whatever it is.

I reckon it's a flea riding a spider on the fairground attraction in your office. The cloth wiping the glass scares it off for a minute.

I'd actually put it down to something like a hair hanging around the sensor. Remember your supposed to be cleaning the scanner in the lid not the bottom one :D

Theres a diffuser source at the top but the detector is always on the lower side?

hey,
this might be a little late but I've had the same issue with the same scanner. if you turn it off and on again it stops happening....at least for a while...then you gotta turn it off again.

pretty annoying but at least there's an easy fix for it.

hey,
this might be a little late but I've had the same issue with the same scanner. if you turn it off and on again it stops happening....at least for a while...then you gotta turn it off again.

pretty annoying but at least there's an easy fix for it.

Well thats your first post so thanks for that. It has gone away now. I did work out it was nothing on the glass itself.

I bought a v300 to scan in some old family photos and have been very happy with its performance on prints but not on film or negs which always seem relatively soft and poor quality. Your photo on the 1st post has gone but do you have any examples I could compare to mine and any tips on getting decent results with it?

thanks

Have a look at the top 2 in my flickr screen. They are compressed but look reasonably sharp.

I scan at 2400dpi which gives 6MP files to edit in PS. Printing upto A4 is fine from experience. Even A3 is doable if the negative is super sharp.

I guess if you are used the digital sharpness then film will always appear soft

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't comparing them to digital shots but scans of negs/slides compared to scans of prints. I will have to have another go and get a scan of a neg and then a scan of the shop print to compare.

I bought a v300 to scan in some old family photos and have been very happy with its performance on prints but not on film or negs which always seem relatively soft and poor quality. Your photo on the 1st post has gone but do you have any examples I could compare to mine and any tips on getting decent results with it?

thanks

Well for negs I find you have to put back what you lose in scanning, and that means you have to use a sharpening program...for me? I'm happy with tweaking machine sharpened supermarket scans and only use my V750 now and again, as I find for a computer screen a supermarket 2.4mp scan is good enough.

Back