Epson V500

Name
Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
Anyone got one??

My B'day is coming up next month and am thinking about getting a new scanner. Just wondering what people think about it. Just wondering the neg holders you get with it are

Thanks

:)

35mm and medium format up to 6x12 I think. No 5x4.

Apparently you might want to look at the 'betterscanning' replacement filmholders though.

I've been looking at the v700 for my 5x4 and the quality is supposed to be pretty much the same.

I think it was just based on the fact that the epson ones arent very durable, especially the fluid mount holder as apparently the fluid corrodes the rubber and leaks after a while!

Don't think there is one with the V500, its designed for use with the V750, to mount you're negs directly onto the glass for perfect flatness.
It's messy and yet to prove its worth....to me anyway.

You could fluid mount a V500, but I dunno if it would be in focus range without a holder/jig of some sort.

Well, they're selling their fluid, mount and A Zeeeeeeeeeeee 42 optical mylar (mounting film for non knobheads)..:LOL:

This is how film negs are mounted in a pro drum scanner, with fluid, to have a fluid mount on a flatbed makes it appear to be more pro..:shrug:
I think the sentiment is there but I don't think flatbeds are good enough to take full advantage of a fluid mount yet.

I had a look at some of the test scans on the photo-i review and they do appear a smidge sharper.

Not that you'd notice in the real world I think. Massive outlay in time and money for such a small return. If I was that bothered about quality I'd get them drum scanned!

Bit of a bump...

Any one got one of these yet? A new 120 film scanner at under £180 ish sounds tempting.

BTW, trannies were suspended in oil to eliminate any surface scratches in the film emulsion. Quite a neat idea to transfer the principle to the flatbed enthusiast market I think :)

^^ Cool. Be sure to update this thread or better still do a mini review for us all :)

Back